XP for flight between Puerto Rico and continental US

Old Jul 22, 20, 6:02 am
Original Poster

XP for flight between Puerto Rico and continental US

Hi,
Tricky question here: how is a flight between Puerto Rico and the continental US considered for the computation of XP on FlyingBlue? Is it a domestic flight or does it fall in the medium category?
I tried the Flying Blue simulator for SJU-ATL (considering taking a Delta flight) but it gave me a strange answer, i.e., Long 2 which does not make sense considering the distance between the two cities.
If anyone has ever flown such an itinerary, would be interested to know the answer.
Thanks,
Florian
Old Jul 22, 20, 7:33 am

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Hi florian

the calculator seems to be broken since few weeks . Another way to find how much XP you get is by doing a simulation of AF or KL site and check

however keep in mind that all AF/KL marketed flights purchased and planned in 2020 will give you double amount of XP .

But even if you buy it from AF or KL , some flights might be operated DL with DL codes (cause no codeshare) then normal amount of XP will be granted , and you can't book tickets for ATL-SJU from AF , so no 100% reliable way to know (besides maybe asking people here)

flying blue has some "loopholes" , some domestic flights on legal point of view are considered as international

its possible that ATL-SJU is considered as domestic (2xp regardless of distance) , or international (5xp cause it's under 2000 miles) due to the situation of the island

Last edited by fifty_two; Jul 23, 20 at 5:09 am
Old Jul 26, 20, 4:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
I m almost certain that SJU is viewed as international from the US, and therefore it's going to be using that distance-based XP chart (almost certain as in: I had booked a NYC-SJU just before covid, that I ended up cancelling. In my memory of this, I had noticed that SJU was treated as an international destination)
Since I ended up cancelling the flight, I can't just go back to my AF account and look at how many XPs were credited. But if no better info comes you're way, I'm a good 95 percent that ATL-SJU isn't treated like a domestic flight

Search this Thread
Search Engine: