FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Best Rooting on FB to optimize CDG-MNL €/XP in Sep-Oct 2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/2021998-best-rooting-fb-optimize-cdg-mnl-xp-sep-oct-2020-a.html)

MickaelCB Jul 21, 2020 1:59 am

Best Rooting on FB to optimize CDG-MNL €/XP in Sep-Oct 2020

Hello,

I am looking for advice on how to optimize the €/XP Flying Blue on a CDG-MNL with a budget of 850€ round trip
-Departure 26/09/2020
-Return 08/10/2020

Looking on Google Flight and Skyscanner the prices are twice or 3 time the one give on AF Apps. very strange behavior.
On AF APP there is a change n HK. I am wondering if taking a CDG-HK and separate HK-MNL would not be better ?

Thanks for your advice and finding I am a beginer mostly reading all your very interesting post and trying to learn.

Moderators if my post is not appropriate or not at the good place, please help me to correct it.

Best Regards,
MickaelCB

fifty_two Jul 21, 2020 2:27 am

Originally Posted by MickaelCB (Post 32547106)
Hello,

I am looking for advice on how to optimize the €/XP Flying Blue on a CDG-MNL with a budget of 850€ round trip
-Departure 26/09/2020
-Return 08/10/2020

i would suggest you to stay with AF or KL , if XP are really important for you , for all flights in 2020 on AF or KL you get double miles and XP

please read more here and also there

Looking on Google Flight and Skyscanner the prices are twice or 3 time the one give on AF Apps. very strange behavior.

it depends on your search , but sometimes prices can fluctuate between what google show you and final price from airline , so consider google as a "very useful not 100% reliable source"

On AF APP there is a change n HK. I am wondering if taking a CDG-HK and separate HK-MNL would not be better ?

up to you , but it is risky . You will need to allocate yourself enough time between both to be able to get off the plane , check in , pass security and immigration and board the next plane ... plus some extra time in case of any kind of delays .... which mean 5 hours minimum of layover in hong kong in case of separate bookings

be aware that if your CDG-HKG flight is delayed and you miss the next one , you are not covered and will need to pay

you can also check if its possible to add a stop in amsterdam , 10xp is always good to add in your basket

separate HK-MNL would not be better ?

if you want to stay with skyteam on this route , i guess best choice will be china airlines , unless you love to add half a day to your schedule for the sake of flying , but then you will be way over your 800euros budget

maalloc Jul 21, 2020 2:50 am

I am wondering if taking a CDG-HK and separate HK-MNL would not be better ?

Last time I checked, transfers in HKG were only allowed if both legs were on the same booking within the same alliance.
Given the current situation in HK, I would not try to book a flight without being 100% rule-compliant...

irishguy28 Jul 21, 2020 3:12 am

The easiest way to maximise your XP earning is to stick to flights that are sold using AF or KL flight numbers only (as mentioned above, flights booked using AF or KL flight numbers earn double the normal.XPs until the end of 2020); additionally, you can increase your earning by booking one cabin up from the one you intended to travel. The increase in XP earning may be greater than the corresponding increase in fare.

You will add extra XPs if you start from somewhere other than CDG by virtue of having an extra sector prior to CDG, and if your origin is outside France, this approach could even bring the price down. Note, however, you would actually have to start travel from this new origin, and if you are checking luggage, would also have to complete your trip by ending up at this same origin. (If the final "flight" back to this origin involves a change of airport - i.e. transferring from CDG to ORY - or a change of mode of transport - i.e. to train/TGV at CDG - then you will be have to collect any checked luggage at CDG and can then safely drop any last such "flight" back to the origin)