FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Report: CDG-JFK on June 28 - AF3628 (DL metal) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/2020643-report-cdg-jfk-june-28-af3628-dl-metal.html)

gaukuser Jun 29, 2020 3:03 pm

Report: CDG-JFK on June 28 - AF3628 (DL metal)

I flew CDG-JFK on AF 3628 (Delta metal) and thought I'd share this report.

Flew from: CDG 2E
Me: A French citizen w a US green card
OLCI: Couldn't OLCI, barred by the Delta app for no clear reason (I think no one was allowed to OLCI unless they had a US passport - i never was able to enter my Green card number)
Pre-checkin: I wanted to get VAT back on an expensive purchase. The "Pablo" automated machines that scan your Detax forms gave me an error which forced me to trek out to 2F arrivals where a lone French customs officer was processing forms.
Check-in: The Sky Priority area was completely shut down. All checkin for Delta was done from Checkin zone 2, with a couple of lane for Sky.
Passport control: No "Acces Numero 1" fast lanes. No automated passport gates (PARAFE). Good old human being passport check. There was, of course, zero wait
Gates: K gates. I don't think the gates beyond the people transport (L, M gates) are open at all. No loss
Security was the usual affair, except there was no "Acces Numero 1" fast lanes. Again, no wait to speak of any way.

Masks and hydroalcoolic gel: Some stations were empty, but there were indeed many dispensers throughout the airport, including in key areas like immediately after security (since you're touching stuff that everyone also touches), and around the duty free store areas. Everyone was indeed wearing a mask.
The police at passport checks made me lift up my mask for about 10 seconds.

The store situation at the K gates is that most of the stores are closed, but a few are open and there's a sign on the closed stores that say "come find us at the info desk [whereever that is] and we'll open this store for you". I don't know how realistic this is, considering that you couldn't really come in and check stuff out and get inspired to shop.
Laduree was opening up though. There were a couple of Relay newsagents open (one before security, one after), and the Pharmacy pre security was also open. Other than this, the whole place was shut down. No place to grab a bite. And, but you knew this already, no Air France lounge.

The flight
Boarding: Was done by row. Although mysteriously, there were still Sky priority lanes at K45 and you could use them. It was such a small flight though, it probably made no difference to enforce any order to boarding
Onboard arrival: Was given a health form for US authorities on arrival. Asking to disclaim whether you had a cough or fever. Delta repeated several time that the form had the be filled out on the plane, and that you had to have it in hand as you exited the aircraft.
The crew gave each arriving passenger a pack with pillow/blanket.
We left ... early. Flight was scheduled to leave at 10.20a, but we were airborne at 10.10a. Nice.

Seating arrangement: the aircraft was a 2x3x2 in economy.
Folks in the 2-seater on either side were seated by the window, and had no one on the aisle side.
Folks in the middle (like yours truly), had the entire 3 seats to themselves.
I'd say a good third of the plane had no one at all on a 2x3x2 row. Perhaps 50 people in this aircraft.

Meal service: Drink and main meal service was served together. A three course meal, such as it was. It wasn't offensive (thai green curry was acceptable), but pretty barebones.
To my surprise, there was a pre-arrival snack service (I thought that had been cancelled), with a flatbread pizza type of thing. Being that I usually fly Air France metal on this destination, where that pre-arrival meal is a complete joke (a nasty muffin-esque pastry, and yogurt), that strangely was something I'd call an improvement over what I am used to!
During the flight, there were snacks in the very back of the air craft. But most people stayed in their seats, and delta didn't mention there were snacks in the back.

Arrival: Well, the CDC may not care much about the health of Americans (see also: People getting contaminated left and right in so many states) but let me tell you, they take very seriously the possibility that the passengers coming from countries with 20 times fewer transmissions of Covid than their own be potential carriers of the disease. So we exited the aircraft one by one, to be greated by a CDG official who took the health forms we had filled onboard, made us confirm what the form asked for "No cough, no fever?", and gave you a once over. Then you'd walk a few steps, and another person held an infrared thermometer to your forehead. After which ... home free (with an admonition to stay home for the next 14 days)

Immigration: Alas, my global entry expired in the past month (and as a NY resident, I'm not allowed to reup into it because Trump). So I don't know whether Global Entry was working but since Immigration had, well, just my flight in that giant hall, it was the most empty I have ever seen this arrival hall. There were also 3 immigration agents for the whole terminal -- plenty, to be fair -- but it was definitely an eerie affaiir being in this hall that's usually a bumping mess.
There were no custom forms to fill -- confusing. I asked the immigration agent about it (I had a few cookies, and I always declare food even when I know it's totally legal because things like Global Entry can be jeopardize if you ever cross Customs in any way). But, I don't know, no more forms at the moment.

Luggage retrieval
Waiting for checked luggage took probably less time than usual, but barely. It took me 30 minutes to be cleared by the CDC and walk the 15 minute walk from the aircraft exit to the Immigration hall (you walk forever at T4), then 10 minutes to clear immigration. Luggage was another 10 minutes. So, probably 40 minutes ish from touchdown. It's kind of nuts that this part is still always so slow at JFK, but it is what it is.

Ground transportation
There were a gazillion taxis. Finding my (app) ride was super simple for once, since the whole joint was so empty -- no confusing jokeying to figure out which car is yours.
Driving back to Manhattan took 40 minutes. Which, for the middle of the day, is kind of an excellent outcome.

/end of the report

irishguy28 Jun 30, 2020 12:19 am

Originally Posted by gaukuser (Post 32494571)
So we exited the aircraft one by one, to be greated by a CDG official who took the health forms we had filled onboard, made us confirm what the form asked for "No cough, no fever?", and gave you a once over. Then you'd walk a few steps, and another person held an infrared thermometer to your forehead. After which ... home free (with an admonition to stay home for the next 14 days)

Good to know that furloughed Aéroports de Paris staff found a new temporary job in JFK ;-)

HalconBCN Jun 30, 2020 7:37 am

I flew CDG-JFK on AF 3628 (Delta metal) and thought I'd share this report.

Flew from: CDG 2E
Me: A French citizen w a US green card
OLCI: Couldn't OLCI, barred by the Delta app for no clear reason (I think no one was allowed to OLCI unless they had a US passport - i never was able to enter my Green card number)
Pre-checkin: I wanted to get VAT back on an expensive purchase. The "Pablo" automated machines that scan your Detax forms gave me an error which forced me to trek out to 2F arrivals where a lone French customs officer was processing forms.
Check-in: The Sky Priority area was completely shut down. All checkin for Delta was done from Checkin zone 2, with a couple of lane for Sky.
Passport control: No "Acces Numero 1" fast lanes. No automated passport gates (PARAFE). Good old human being passport check. There was, of course, zero wait
Gates: K gates. I don't think the gates beyond the people transport (L, M gates) are open at all. No loss
Security was the usual affair, except there was no "Acces Numero 1" fast lanes. Again, no wait to speak of any way.

Masks and hydroalcoolic gel: Some stations were empty, but there were indeed many dispensers throughout the airport, including in key areas like immediately after security (since you're touching stuff that everyone also touches), and around the duty free store areas. Everyone was indeed wearing a mask.
The police at passport checks made me lift up my mask for about 10 seconds.

The store situation at the K gates is that most of the stores are closed, but a few are open and there's a sign on the closed stores that say "come find us at the info desk [whereever that is] and we'll open this store for you". I don't know how realistic this is, considering that you couldn't really come in and check stuff out and get inspired to shop.
Laduree was opening up though. There were a couple of Relay newsagents open (one before security, one after), and the Pharmacy pre security was also open. Other than this, the whole place was shut down. No place to grab a bite. And, but you knew this already, no Air France lounge.

The flight
Boarding: Was done by row. Although mysteriously, there were still Sky priority lanes at K45 and you could use them. It was such a small flight though, it probably made no difference to enforce any order to boarding
Onboard arrival: Was given a health form for US authorities on arrival. Asking to disclaim whether you had a cough or fever. Delta repeated several time that the form had the be filled out on the plane, and that you had to have it in hand as you exited the aircraft.
The crew gave each arriving passenger a pack with pillow/blanket.
We left ... early. Flight was scheduled to leave at 10.20a, but we were airborne at 10.10a. Nice.

Seating arrangement: the aircraft was a 2x3x2 in economy.
Folks in the 2-seater on either side were seated by the window, and had no one on the aisle side.
Folks in the middle (like yours truly), had the entire 3 seats to themselves.
I'd say a good third of the plane had no one at all on a 2x3x2 row. Perhaps 50 people in this aircraft.

Meal service: Drink and main meal service was served together. A three course meal, such as it was. It wasn't offensive (thai green curry was acceptable), but pretty barebones.
To my surprise, there was a pre-arrival snack service (I thought that had been cancelled), with a flatbread pizza type of thing. Being that I usually fly Air France metal on this destination, where that pre-arrival meal is a complete joke (a nasty muffin-esque pastry, and yogurt), that strangely was something I'd call an improvement over what I am used to!
During the flight, there were snacks in the very back of the air craft. But most people stayed in their seats, and delta didn't mention there were snacks in the back.

Arrival: Well, the CDC may not care much about the health of Americans (see also: People getting contaminated left and right in so many states) but let me tell you, they take very seriously the possibility that the passengers coming from countries with 20 times fewer transmissions of Covid than their own be potential carriers of the disease. So we exited the aircraft one by one, to be greated by a CDG official who took the health forms we had filled onboard, made us confirm what the form asked for "No cough, no fever?", and gave you a once over. Then you'd walk a few steps, and another person held an infrared thermometer to your forehead. After which ... home free (with an admonition to stay home for the next 14 days)

Immigration: Alas, my global entry expired in the past month (and as a NY resident, I'm not allowed to reup into it because Trump). So I don't know whether Global Entry was working but since Immigration had, well, just my flight in that giant hall, it was the most empty I have ever seen this arrival hall. There were also 3 immigration agents for the whole terminal -- plenty, to be fair -- but it was definitely an eerie affaiir being in this hall that's usually a bumping mess.
There were no custom forms to fill -- confusing. I asked the immigration agent about it (I had a few cookies, and I always declare food even when I know it's totally legal because things like Global Entry can be jeopardize if you ever cross Customs in any way). But, I don't know, no more forms at the moment.

Luggage retrieval
Waiting for checked luggage took probably less time than usual, but barely. It took me 30 minutes to be cleared by the CDC and walk the 15 minute walk from the aircraft exit to the Immigration hall (you walk forever at T4), then 10 minutes to clear immigration. Luggage was another 10 minutes. So, probably 40 minutes ish from touchdown. It's kind of nuts that this part is still always so slow at JFK, but it is what it is.

Ground transportation
There were a gazillion taxis. Finding my (app) ride was super simple for once, since the whole joint was so empty -- no confusing jokeying to figure out which car is yours.
Driving back to Manhattan took 40 minutes. Which, for the middle of the day, is kind of an excellent outcome.

/end of the report

thanks for the report.
well done Delta for not using covid as an excuse to skimp on service.

irishguy28 Jun 30, 2020 9:33 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN (Post 32496184)
thanks for the report.

And thanks for quoting the entirety of said report!

So good, I read it twice ;-)

HalconBCN Jun 30, 2020 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 32496514)
And thanks for quoting the entirety of said report!

So good, I read it twice ;-)

Sorry about that. But let's be honest, it was good reading :p

smartytravel Jul 5, 2020 7:27 am

Immigration: Alas, my global entry expired in the past month (and as a NY resident, I'm not allowed to reup into it because Trump

To be more specific, this is because of the state government in New York. New York does not allow access to certain criminal history, which is needed for Global Entry.

So, in this case, it’s the fault of New York, and not Trump.

Everyone needs to be treated to the same standards, by the law. It can’t be that the state of New York comes out with something to exempt their residents from the legal requirements.

EuropeanPete Jul 6, 2020 5:08 pm

I generally try not to jump into these topics, but I will say that Global Entry to citizens/ residents of countries which share no more than New York does :) We’re all welcome to support any political figures we feel like, but the New York ban isn’t about some minimum GE standard as sometimes erroneously suggested.

SEA-Flyer Jul 6, 2020 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 32512800)
I generally try not to jump into these topics, but I will say that Global Entry to citizens/ residents of countries which share no more than New York does :) We’re all welcome to support any political figures we feel like, but the New York ban isn’t about some minimum GE standard as sometimes erroneously suggested.

Agreed. It's a red herring. Someone could be a resident of another state, and only have a criminal record in NY. Or vice versa