Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US citizens OK to fly to France via Netherlands?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by brunos
"residency", "nationality" and "arriving from" are three different concepts which are all relevant to different provisions of entry rules.
I can assure you that you can currently fly from anywhere in the world into the UK (quarantine is a different issue). US Residents with US passport can enter UK freely. UK is part of EU+ which is what the EU is primarily using.
From UK one can fly to France without the infamous "international travel certificate". The person I mentioned, simply showed his US passport not a single other document or card.
I also have a Hong Kong friend with Hong Kong passport (with second home in South of France), who simply flew to London and then to France on a separate ticket. He had no problem upon arrival. No question or document asked.
What about UK 14 day quarantine requirements? Can you just fly to the UK and then take an onward flight same day to anywhere in the EU no questions asked?
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by AIflyer
What about UK 14 day quarantine requirements? Can you just fly to the UK and then take an onward flight same day to anywhere in the EU no questions asked?
It's not a case of whether "questions are asked" - you are expected to observe the spirit, and the letter, of the applicable law.

If the country you ultimately want to visit either bans your entry, or requires you to self-isolate for 14 days, if you were to arrive there directly, then briefly setting foot on British soil along the way in no way makes your Covid status less of a worry.

You cannot, and should not, be seeking to evade entry restrictions by means of seeking alternate routings where you think or expect you may evade the restrictions that you know are applicable to you.

You in no way reduce the risk of importing another case of Corona by travelling indirectly via the UK. So don't do it!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
And expect some robust questions at your Schengen port of entry.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Many US citizens have managed to enter the EU via the UK and Croatia. This continuing theater is stupid. Require a negative test 72h before departure, on arrival, 14 day quarantine on arrival or some combo of those options and STOP with this convoluted nonsense. The French PM said something yesterday about “French citizens and those with established RESIDENCES in France” being allowed. Mind you not RESIDENCY, but RESIDENCES which seems to indicate a second home in France should allow 3rd country nationals, but of course nothing is ever clarified.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
STOP with this convoluted nonsense.
Hear, hear!

It would be nice if the EU tried to live up to its name for once and banged some heads together in an effort to produce a coordinated, clear, comprehensible, consistent and streamlined travel policy.

Yeah, yeah, keep dreamin' !

Johan
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:42 am
Suspended

Many US citizens have managed to enter the EU via the UK and Croatia. This continuing theater is stupid. Require a negative test 72h before departure, on arrival, 14 day quarantine on arrival or some combo of those options and STOP with this convoluted nonsense. The French PM said something yesterday about “French citizens and those with established RESIDENCES in France” being allowed. Mind you not RESIDENCY, but RESIDENCES which seems to indicate a second home in France should allow 3rd country nationals, but of course nothing is ever clarified.
No, I read that as having an established residence in France, not a dwelling that you simply own but do not ordinarily reside in. Why do you keep trying to bend the rules?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Hear, hear!

It would be nice if the EU tried to live up to its name for once and banged some heads together in an effort to produce a coordinated, clear, comprehensible, consistent and streamlined travel policy.

Johan
The EU is made up of sovereign states. Each has the ability to set their own travel policy.
kthomas and irishguy28 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somehow, Johan, if the EU was capable of imposing a single "travel policy" (whatever that means) on the 27, I really don't think you would be happy with the contents of said policy, as it would be far more stringent than the equivalent "policies" being operated by the majority of the member states.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hear, hear!

It would be nice if the EU tried to live up to its name for once and banged some heads together in an effort to produce a coordinated, clear, comprehensible, consistent and streamlined travel policy. And, if there is such a government, all it need do is adopt the EU recommendations as its own law and that is the end of the issue.

Johan
There are likely few who dream that way!

The ability to control who may enter is the essence of sovereignty. I can't think of any Member State prepared to give that up to a collective located elsewhere.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of these sovereign EU member states once upon a time somehow managed to cobble together the Schengen area, and even such a thing as a Schengen visa. It might just behoove them to coordinate their C-19 travel policies in a similar spirit, instead of subjecting citizens and travelers to a deluge of conflicting and irrational policies covered in the thinnest of scientific veneers.

Johan
Goldorak and SteveCanary like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:08 am
Suspended

Hear, hear!

Johan
Indeed

Originally Posted by LondonElite
No, I read that as having an established residence in France, not a dwelling that you simply own but do not ordinarily reside in. Why do you keep trying to bend the rules?
How am I "bending the rules," by pointing out that they are needlessly vague and it would be nice if someone put out clean and concise rules. What in your mind constitutes an "established residence" vs "owning but not ordinarily residing in?" What is the line for how many days/year must be spent there for it to be established? This is why it's needlessly vague. How hard would it be to simply say "unless you have a residence permit it doesn't count" or "unless you spent the majority of your days there in 2019 it doesn't count." Do you seriously not think they are being needlessly vague with this nonsense?
Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:22 am

How am I "bending the rules," by pointing out that they are needlessly vague and it would be nice if someone put out clean and concise rules. What in your mind constitutes an "established residence" vs "owning but not ordinarily residing in?" What is the line for how many days/year must be spent there for it to be established? This is why it's needlessly vague. How hard would it be to simply say "unless you have a residence permit it doesn't count" or "unless you spent the majority of your days there in 2019 it doesn't count." Do you seriously not think they are being needlessly vague with this nonsense?
I think the rule of thumb is that you are only allowed to travel (back) to where you normally reside, or if you fall under an exception but not to travel for business or leisure purposes.
The amount of days you spent in France could be irrelevant as you might in the process of immigrating to France to start your studies/a new job/join family etc., and for the same reasons you might not yet have a residence permit.

I agree there is a lot of vagueness, therefore only travel if you NEED TO, and even then get clarification from the relevant embassy/airline if you think you fall into an exception that would allow you to travel.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How am I "bending the rules," by pointing out that they are needlessly vague and it would be nice if someone put out clean and concise rules.
Whether or not you will be allowed in would likely be easily answered if you could tell us the purpose of your visit.

You stand a very good chance if the reason for your travel is essential.

If it is a previously-booked trip intended for leisure, I think you stand little to no chance of being admitted.

There is a good chance that the UK will add France to the list of countries its citizens are advised not to travel to, in the coming days.

Originally Posted by The Telegraph
French quarantine weighed up by ministers after infection rate overtakes Portugal

Move comes as Government takes three new countries off 'green' travel list
Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ditto
I think the rule of thumb is that you are only allowed to travel (back) to where you normally reside, or if you fall under an exception but not to travel for business or leisure purposes.
The amount of days you spent in France could be irrelevant as you might in the process of immigrating to France to start your studies/a new job/join family etc., and for the same reasons you might not yet have a residence permit.

I agree there is a lot of vagueness, therefore only travel if you NEED TO, and even then get clarification from the relevant embassy/airline if you think you fall into an exception that would allow you to travel.
See the problem is lots of "I think," it's very vague. I don't see why they can't state things more clearly. That's my only issue.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Whether or not you will be allowed in would likely be easily answered if you could tell us the purpose of your visit.

You stand a very good chance if the reason for your travel is essential.

If it is a previously-booked trip intended for leisure, I think you stand little to no chance of being admitted.
This isn't about me. I have EU residence and have been here for some time. It's just frustrating on an abstract level. People keep asking me for advice about their potential trips and all I can tell them essentially is "YMMV."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.