Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Outbound flight of a return ticket canceled by KLM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Outbound flight of a return ticket canceled by KLM

I booked the following travel as a single, multi-city flight directly on KLM (there is only one booking number for all flights together) :

1: YVR -> YYC -> AMS -> CPT (May)
2: CPT -> AMS (August)
3: AMS -> YVR (August)

I just got an email saying (1) has been canceled. When I log in to the "my trips" page, (2) and (3) remain live. KLM's policy says if my flight has been canceled by the airline, I can get a voucher that will be refundable after 1 year. So for my case, does this mean (1) will be refundable voucher and (2-3) be non-refundable voucher, or does this make all of (1-2-3) refundable voucher?

Also, KLM's updated policy says "If you have purchased your ticket in the USA, before or on 16 April 2020, and your flight is scheduled to depart before or on 30 June 2020" I can get a cash refund. I am a US resident, was in the US when I booked this ticket, and used a US credit card for purchase. However, the place of issuance is CAN as listed on my ticket. Is my ticket considered as purchased in the USA?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:55 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Your ticket is not considered purchased in the US. However, even under EU rules (which apply to KLM since they are an EU airline), they are required by law to issue cash refunds, even though they are currently refusing these. If part of your journey is cancelled you are entitled to a refund for the whole journey, I.e. you could get a voucher for the full value of the journey (or cash if you’re willing to fight for it).
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by phildelps
I just got an email saying (1) has been canceled. When I log in to the "my trips" page, (2) and (3) remain live. KLM's policy says if my flight has been canceled by the airline, I can get a voucher that will be refundable after 1 year. So for my case, does this mean (1) will be refundable voucher and (2-3) be non-refundable voucher, or does this make all of (1-2-3) refundable voucher?

You're thinking of it wrong - you don't need to go into it in that granularity.

Whenever any single flight in your ticket is cancelled, you can cancel the entire trip for a refundable voucher.

You bought the ticket with one transaction; it will therefore also be refunded in a single transaction. They don't consider your ticket as a "bundle" of separate tickets, one for each flight, and each handled in a potentially different way, in the manner your question suggested. Any cancellation (or a significant change in time/date etc) affecting any flight in the ticket means the entire ticket can be cancelled/refunded. In normal times, you'd get your money back but now you'll have to wait for the voucher to "expire" in a year from the date it is issued in order to get that money back.

And as the previous poster noted, the ticket was issued in Canada. It is standard practice in the industry (at least when you buy direct from the airline's own website - if you buy via an agency, the ticket may have been issued in a completely different (and sometimes surprising) territory - but if you bought from an agent, you need to chase your refund up with the agent rather than with the airline) to issue the ticket in the country from which the first flight in the ticket departs. Your nationality, your residence, and the country where your credit card are issued, are immaterial. A KLM ticket departing from Canada and bought directly from KLM will be issued in Canada, unless for some reason you went to specific trouble to ensure that you visited a KLM/DL ticket desk in the United States

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 16, 2020 at 2:07 am
Old Apr 19, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
I have a similar question.

I have two flights booked. One is from Brisbane to Aberdeen on Air France. The forward journey was at the end of May and the return was in mid July. It's been cancelled in the same way as the OP. But I've had emails from Air France saying that it's cancelled. I know there are arguments about cash refunds etc, but at the moment, the default is that I'm entitled to a voucher which becomes refundable in 12 months. So I know where I stand with that at least.

The second trip is a return flight form Edinburgh to Amsterdam on 2nd July with a return scheduled for 4th July. I haven't received any notification from KLM, but it's showing as cancelled. It's offering me the option to rebook. I was going to an event on 3rd July. I don't know when I'll have leave next year, so I can't even start to rebook. Disregarding the cash vs voucher argument, should I not at least be entitled to a voucher in the same way that I was entitled to one for the Air France flights?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by weegraeme
I have a similar question.

I have two flights booked. One is from Brisbane to Aberdeen on Air France. The forward journey was at the end of May and the return was in mid July. It's been cancelled in the same way as the OP. But I've had emails from Air France saying that it's cancelled. I know there are arguments about cash refunds etc, but at the moment, the default is that I'm entitled to a voucher which becomes refundable in 12 months. So I know where I stand with that at least.

The second trip is a return flight form Edinburgh to Amsterdam on 2nd July with a return scheduled for 4th July. I haven't received any notification from KLM, but it's showing as cancelled. It's offering me the option to rebook. I was going to an event on 3rd July. I don't know when I'll have leave next year, so I can't even start to rebook. Disregarding the cash vs voucher argument, should I not at least be entitled to a voucher in the same way that I was entitled to one for the Air France flights?
yes, you should be able to obtain a voucher. The same happened to me with 2 AF trips that got cancelled last week. For the 1st two days after having received the cancellation notice, the app was proposing only rebooking option. But 2 days later, I received additional emails and sms proposing the vouchers which I received by email 2 clicks and 30 seconds later
Old Apr 19, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by Goldorak
yes, you should be able to obtain a voucher. The same happened to me with 2 AF trips that got cancelled last week. For the 1st two days after having received the cancellation notice, the app was proposing only rebooking option. But 2 days later, I received additional emails and sms proposing the vouchers which I received by email 2 clicks and 30 seconds later
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.