Ticket price breakdown

Old Mar 25, 20, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold
Ticket price breakdown

HI All,
My wife is battling for a refund of her flight back home with Air France. She received a voucher (no complaints on this) but no explanation about the way it was calculated. I am looking for a way to find the price breakdown of her ticket to be sure the voucher is reflecting the expense. Any tip for that ?
Thanks in advance for your hep !
The doomed likes this.
Old Mar 25, 20, 12:27 pm

So your wife wanted a refund on the ticket half used...
but when you buy a ticket on airfrance you see the price of inbound outbound....hope i m clear
Old Mar 25, 20, 12:27 pm

So your wife wanted a refund on the ticket half used...
but when you buy a ticket on airfrance you see the price of inbound outbound....hope i m clear
Old Mar 25, 20, 12:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by thierryd92 View Post
no explanation about the way it was calculated
wait a sec , shouldnt the voucher be equal to the amount you paid ?
Old Mar 25, 20, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
The first responder assumed this relates to a half-used ticket; the second responder assumed this relates to an unused ticket.

To the OP: please write clearly and succinctly. You have not explained what your issue is.
Old Mar 27, 20, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
The first responder assumed this relates to a half-used ticket; the second responder assumed this relates to an unused ticket.

To the OP: please write clearly and succinctly. You have not explained what your issue is.
You right my message was not clear.

She had a return ticket buy on airfrance website.
She made the first leg.
Because of Covid19 she cancelled the 2nd leg
She received less than half of the price by voucher.
AirFrance argues than the voucher represent fare+tax on the way back but as we don't have any breakdown of the total price is very difficult to know if this is true or not.
What I am looking is to find a way to access to the full breakdown of the ticket price:
- Flight price 1st leg
- Tax 1st leg
-Flight price 2st leg
-Tax 2nd leg
Old Mar 27, 20, 2:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Accor ALL Gold
AirFrance argues than the voucher represent fare+tax on the way back but as we don't have any breakdown of the total price is very difficult to know if this is true or not.
What I am looking is to find a way to access to the full breakdown of the ticket price:
- Flight price 1st leg
- Tax 1st leg
-Flight price 2st leg
-Tax 2nd leg
Open the bill you received after payment to get a first idea , but you can't really find exactly how cost each flight , unless you purchase each segment separately

However things are not 50/50 , inbound might not cost the same as the outbound . Taxes and some airports fees also works the same = take off , landing , transit , luggages handling fees , etc.....

About price ticket itself (what the carrier receive = what you paid minus taxes and fees) , take a look at FB miles because now the amount of miles you get is linked to the real price of the booking

You probably noticed that not all segments gives the same amount of miles ??? You never asked yourself why even counterpart of these segments in your booking don't give you the same ??? Same for these strange booking codes , did you noticed that often all your segments dont have the same booking code ???

These codes are linked to restrictions and fares and it means that not all segments costs the same , it is due to internal billing.

99,99% of people dont care about it, then airlines never provide it

She had a return ticket buy on airfrance website.
She made the first leg.
Because of Covid19 she cancelled the 2nd leg
she is lucky cause AF is out of cash and refuse to refund bookings

Last edited by fifty_two; Mar 27, 20 at 2:51 am
Old Mar 27, 20, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Some airlines (like CX) detail the "fare calculation" on the eTicket, but very few do. AF does not.
You only have the total return fare and the details of all surcharges and taxes.
When you initially booked, you might have separate screens for the outbound and inbound, but not on the final ticket. The outbound could be more expensive than the inbound or vice versa.
You have to trust AF for the calculation.
If she voluntarily cancelled the flight, although it might operate, she should be happy to get a good refund, even in the form of a voucher.
Old Mar 27, 20, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
- Flight price 1st leg
- Tax 1st leg
-Flight price 2st leg
-Tax 2nd leg

While not impossible, it would be unusual in many cases if the cost of each sector in a return ticket were the same.

Ticket are not sold on the basis that a return ticket is always made up of two equally priced components [though, in some cases, it may be possible to select two equally priced components, but this is the exception rather than the rule]. As such, your assumption that your refund should be half of the amount paid is incorrect.

This is totally logical. Think about this example: let's say your wife chose an early Monday morning outbound flight, that is already practically sold out and which is therefore an expensive flight, but chose a Saturday night return flight, for which almost nobody has booked a seat, and which is therefore a very cheap flight. Would you be happy that she is charged the much higher, almost-sold out fare for both sectors, solely to preserve this "symmetry" of ticket pricing? No - you would not be happy. Your wife would be paying far over the odds for her deserted return Saturday night flight.

Additionally, the taxes associated with each sector are often (vastly) different. Each country and each airport can potentially have its own fees and charges - and some countries [such as the UK] charge hefty duties on passengers departing their territory by air. Any such taxes/charges are uniquely associated with each sector of the trip. You cannot therefore conclude that the total taxes are to be split evenly between sectors, either.

When you buy flights on the Air France website, you are shown the individual cost of each sector as you step through the process. For example, looking at AF CDG-AMS tickets for next month, here is the selection for the outbound (first image), and then the selections for the return (second image)

On the outbound, you must select a fare of either 59 or 82 euro, and on the return you must select a fare of either 51/217/70 Euro. This means your total ticket price will be either 110, 129, 133, 152, 276 or 299, depending on the specific combination of fares you select. Halving these totals gives, respectively, 55, 64.50, 66.50, 76, 138, and 149.50 - none of which corresponds with the price of any of the return components as shown below.

In fact, it is probably incorrect to even assume you should get the full value of whatever price your wife was presented with for her return sector, and selected, at the time of buying the ticket. Usually there is a service/handling fee, and they may even reprice the ticket to the corresponding one-way fare, and only refund whatever balance is left over.

But let me assure you - it is not at all unusual that the refund is less than half of the total paid, and I can assure you that it is highly unlikely that any error was made in coming to this amount. I would advise just dropping the issue and accepting the voucher as being correct.
Attached Images   

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 27, 20 at 3:25 am
Old Mar 27, 20, 3:51 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
One thing that you can do is look at the fare codes. For AF's claim to be true (that the flown leg was much more expensive than the refunded leg) the fare code for the flown leg should also be higher than the fare code for the return leg. Your original e-ticket should include the fare codes.

Overview of all the AF the fare codes is here: https://www.airfrance.ru/RU/en/local..._structure.htm

The tables are sorted expensive-to-cheap. So Y is higher than M, and U is lower than M.
Old Mar 27, 20, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
One thing that you can do is look at the fare codes. For AF's claim to be true (that the flown leg was much more expensive than the refunded leg) the fare code for the flown leg should also be higher than the fare code for the return leg. Your original e-ticket should include the fare codes.

Overview of all the AF the fare codes is here: https://www.airfrance.ru/RU/en/local..._structure.htm

The tables are sorted expensive-to-cheap. So Y is higher than M, and U is lower than M.
I don't think that is true for return tickets.
For example, you can buy a CDG-ATL-CDG in H fare bucket HKWLRFR for a base fare of EUR1215. That does not mean that each leg is priced at 607.5. In internal pricing, it could well be that the oubound leg is priced higher than the inbound leg, even within the same fare bucket.
Old Mar 27, 20, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
I don't think that is true for return tickets.
For example, you can buy a CDG-ATL-CDG in H fare bucket HKWLRFR for a base fare of EUR1215. That does not mean that each leg is priced at 607.5. In internal pricing, it could well be that the oubound leg is priced higher than the inbound leg, even within the same fare bucket.
I believe you are correct.
Old Mar 27, 20, 2:44 pm

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Really? I just purchased a KL ticket with outbound in class G, inbound in X. Meaning that the inbound is more expensive than outbound...right? Maybe this is where KL and AF differ..
Old Mar 28, 20, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
Really? I just purchased a KL ticket with outbound in class G, inbound in X. Meaning that the inbound is more expensive than outbound...right? Maybe this is where KL and AF differ..
What I mean is that even if both segments were in G, they would not be priced identically.
irishguy28 and Xandrios like this.
Old Mar 29, 20, 4:22 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
What I mean is that even if both segments were in G, they would not be priced identically.
Really? most of the time, for a given brand (light, flex, classic, etc.) there should be no difference on a round trip. Sometimes it depends on the season, midweek/weekend travel, for G as promo it might also depend on specific flight numbers, but in most (but not all) cases, they would be priced identically although I agree it is not systematic.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: