Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020
US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:03 am

As mentioned in an earlier post here, the EU issued this document concerning airline cancellations on 18 March 2020. I had booked a trip which KLM cancelled. I was offered the voucher option, and when I quoted from the EU document:
"3.2. Right to reimbursement or re-routing In the case of a flight cancellation by the airlines (no matter what the cause is), Article 5 obliges the operating air carrier to offer the passengers the choice among: a) reimbursement (refund); b) re-routing at the earliest opportunity, or c) re-routing at a later date at the passenger's convenience."
The KLM agent immediately offered to process a refund. Unfortunately, the refund will take up to four weeks.

The full document can be found here: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites...0201830_en.pdf
blairvanhorn likes this.

Last edited by tewligan; Apr 2, 2020 at 7:08 am Reason: Added link to EU document.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Wil973
be aware that it will take time before you receive that voucher...
If you do it online it will take more time...better to call.... but i think it will take 3 weeks.... maybe more ... i dont think less
Using the online form takes more time than calling up? That's a surprise.
They must be manually checking the forms. Not very efficient.
I may just leave it for a couple of weeks. The call centre may not be quite so busy by then.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
EC continues to make clear that forced vouchers are NOT acceptable or compatible with current law.

https://nltimes.nl/2020/04/02/eu-blo...nceled-flights
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mikem004
a copyright banner from an Indian IT services company:
Copyright © ISC IT Services Pvt. Ltd. All rights reserved.
Most probably due to covid19 (less employees/contractors available and high volumes of requests) , it was outsourced to an indian company
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Always has been like that.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by mikem004
Using the online form takes more time than calling up? That's a surprise.
They must be manually checking the forms. Not very efficient.
I may just leave it for a couple of weeks. The call centre may not be quite so busy by then.
so finally received my 1st voucher after one week calling plat line ams... still waiting for 6 vouchers hahaha
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
so finally received my 1st voucher after one week calling plat line ams... still waiting for 6 vouchers hahaha
Really? I cancelled 3 weekend trips early March and I received the voucher details by email within an hour. This was all done via the platinum telephone service.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Billyfergus
Really? I cancelled 3 weekend trips early March and I received the voucher details by email within an hour. This was all done via the platinum telephone service.
early march was another world ..... everything was smooth... i even travelled to london 14 march... another world
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Out of 7 vouchers/refunds requested for trips at the end of march or april (Some requests were from March 20th, and all the requests were due to cancelled flights by AF or KL); I only received one (Non-refundable) voucher after calling the PSL.
I later discovered that the voucher was non-refundable. I have been trying for almost 10 days now to have it corrected to a refundable voucher but with no luck. Only replies received so far were from the KLM twitter service who is basically telling me BS... as they are telling me that my ticket was non-refundable, therefore my voucher is non-refundable.
KLM acknowledges that they will not respect their own rules and the law. I will go to the supermarket today, fill up my cart and leave without paying, mentioning extraordinary circumstances. Let's see how that will work out...

Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:12 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
They want you to do a chargeback, so go do one.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Had the same experience: I asked for a refund via the online request, stating that the Airline cancelled the flight.
The response came back via email saying that they can only offer a non-refundable voucher (which is incorrect, as in that case they would offer at least a refundable voucher).

I wrote back stating that I have the right for full refund if the airline cancels. Let's see what they come back with.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
They want you to respond and argue about it as they keep the cash while you are arguing.

As soon as you receive the notice that you are being denied a reimbursement (refund), initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank). Provide a copy of the e-ticket receipt, the cancellation and the denial of reimbursement (refund).
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
They want you to respond and argue about it as they keep the cash while you are arguing.

As soon as you receive the notice that you are being denied a reimbursement (refund), initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank). Provide a copy of the e-ticket receipt, the cancellation and the denial of reimbursement (refund).
that is, if your bank will accept it. American Express France will not :-(
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
that is, if your bank will accept it. American Express France will not :-(
Exactly (and unfortunately). Amex France won't care about KLM giving me a non-refundable voucher. Too bad I cancelled my Dutch Amex last year, I now realize the service with Amex Netherlands was better than Amex France. I guess the only remaining course of action is the Civil aviation authority of any of the countries my booking was part of (Germany, Netherlands and France). But I guess they will also be overwhelmed by the requests.
This COVID-19 situation is clearly showing which companies respect the law and the ones who do not.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:14 am

Considering the situation, do you think AF will loosen the rules regarding use of the vouchers?
As an exemple, now you can't use a voucher to pay for taxes on a reward flight. Seeing how this should be cash and it's not, it would be fair of them to allow it.
Same thing regarding number of vouchers usable on the same reservation (2 max on the website right now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.