Wiki Posts
Search

AF/KL to ground almost entire fleet for next 2 months

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
AF/KL to ground almost entire fleet for next 2 months

Dutch broadcaster NOS is reporting that AF/KL will be grounding almost its entire fleet for the next two months, expecting a 70 to 90% reduction in passenger traffic: https://nos.nl/artikel/2327248-air-f...ronavirus.html

Edit: Not as bad as reported. From the actual press release:

Faced with these growing restrictions on the possibility of travelling and a strong downward trend in demand which has resulted in a drop in traffic and sales over the last few weeks, the Air France-KLM Group is obliged to gradually reduce its flight activity very significantly over the next few days, with the number of available seat kilometers (ASK) potentially decreasing between -70% and -90%. This reduction in capacity is currently scheduled to last two months, and the Group will continue to monitor the evolution of the situation on a daily basis andadjust it if necessary. As a result of this reduction in capacity, Air France will ground its entire Airbus 380 fleet and KLM its entire Boeing 747 fleet.
Source: https://www.airfranceklm.com/sites/d..._crisis_ve.pdf
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:38 am

Programs: FB Gold, Sixt Gold
From the AF website today:

Hard times for the airline industry
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I think there will be actually more flights then normal to Teurel in the next few weeks.

Also MHV airport will be busy... hope they have enough taxi's at the airport..
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:24 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Hum...so my LAX-CDG-DUB flight on a 777 on April 7 is likely to get cancelled?? So bummed but when we book on Air Chance, we always know there's only a chance we'd fly the flight...just didn't think it would be a non-labor issue!
KLBGO likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Hum...so my LAX-CDG-DUB flight on a 777 on April 7 is likely to get cancelled?? So bummed but when we book on Air Chance, we always know there's only a chance we'd fly the flight...just didn't think it would be a non-labor issue!
Thank you for your great contribution.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:51 am
TSE

Programs: BA, LH, AF, TK
Latest email from AF for a reservation next week:
Due to the evolution of the coronavirus (covid-19) situation, many countries around the world are deciding to implement restrictive entry measures throughout their territory on very short notice.

As of 23 March, we will cancel almost all of our flight schedule. The maintenance of some services for reasons of territorial continuity or repatriation of our compatriots is under consideration but remains dependent on new traffic restrictions to come.

If you are currently far from your home, we therefore invite you to anticipate your return trip now by contacting your usual point of sale or via our website.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Unless you are an EU citizen or resident (or fall inside a small group of exempted travellers), you would not have been permitted entry to the EU anyway. In which case you may wish to take this up with your travel agent to see if you get a refund (or wait until AF probably cancels the flight.)
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Classic 'Air Chance', bending to silly and trivial things like border closures and global pandemics. When will they finally grow a spine and just work? Tsk tsk.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:58 pm

For all the things bad normally.....

But for now, give AF/KL a break. They are really trying!

They are actually still managing Executing flights far more then other airlines.

I have a lot of people who we are trying to get home and I am amazed how much capacity KLM actually still has compared to other airlines.

if all is well we will be all home by Sunday latest.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
For European flights at least, AF has published full Y and full J promo fares at much more affordable levels than the usual Y and J level fares. I guess it is done to make sure that those who need those flights don't pay crazy amounts because of automated revenue management algorithm keeping only full Y and J booking classes available for purchase. Example CDG OTP YPRWFR at 268 EUR+tax (723 EUR normally) and JPRWFR at 451 EUR+tax (1234 EUR normally). Not cheap but not expensive either. Kudos to AF!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by ranskis
For European flights at least, AF has published full Y and full J promo fares at much more affordable levels than the usual Y and J level fares. I guess it is done to make sure that those who need those flights don't pay crazy amounts because of automated revenue management algorithm keeping only full Y and J booking classes available for purchase. Example CDG OTP YPRWFR at 268 EUR+tax (723 EUR normally) and JPRWFR at 451 EUR+tax (1234 EUR normally). Not cheap but not expensive either. Kudos to AF!
They published on their website that they'd offer special tickets to those citizens/residents of the UE who need to get back to Europe. I'm sure given the travel restrictions, the only people travelling are those who really need to just get home ! Probably the direction said something along the lines of "put the customers on a flight ASAP to their intended destination and don't make a fuss."
Si vous ętes en possession d'un billet pour un vol effectué par Air France, nous vous conseillons d'anticiper votre retour en Europe au plus vite, en modifiant vous-męme votre réservation en ligne, dans la rubrique « Mes Réservations » de notre site ou de l'application mobile. Vous avez aussi la possibilité de contacter votre point de vente.

Si vous le souhaitez, vous pouvez également acheter un nouveau billet ŕ un tarif spécial. Vous pourrez, par la suite, annuler votre vol initial et obtenir un avoir non remboursable valable 1 an sur l’ensemble des vols Air France, KLM, Delta Air Lines et Virgin Atlantic.

Si vous n'avez pas de billet pour un vol effectué par Air France, vous pouvez acheter un billet sur notre site ou auprčs d'un point de vente Air France, et bénéficier de nos tarifs spéciaux.

Honestly I agree, i think AF/KLM is handling this to the best of their ability and I'm happy they'd refund near term tickets without charges. My mother was supposed to visit me next month from the US on TAP Portugal, she had a helluva time contacting them just to find out they would only reschedule. Doesn't help when one doesn't know how long this pandemic will last.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
For all the things bad normally.....

But for now, give AF/KL a break. They are really trying!

They are actually still managing Executing flights far more then other airlines.

I have a lot of people who we are trying to get home and I am amazed how much capacity KLM actually still has compared to other airlines.

if all is well we will be all home by Sunday latest.
I totally agree with this. AF/KL has done an amazing job in these circumstances, plus allowing to rebook within the same cabin class (not looking at booking class or tariff differences anymore) makes me give them a big thumbs up!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:23 pm

We received this notice today but our flight is May 25th from Paris to Berlin. I have not done anything about cancelling reservations in hotels or flight. Still holding out hope. I just thought they have enough to deal with right now without asking AF. Am I right or wrong?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by flpab
We received this notice today but our flight is May 25th from Paris to Berlin. I have not done anything about cancelling reservations in hotels or flight. Still holding out hope. I just thought they have enough to deal with right now without asking AF. Am I right or wrong?
nobody knows anything at the moment. There might be a moment next week when no flights are executed. How long that will be and what we have the expect. Even Allah, God and Darth Vader do not know..

as it is may.. you should just wait and see what happens.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flpab
I suspect no one will know until 24 May. No reason to do anything at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.