Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Contact with virus - 6th/8th March - CDG and AMS flights/lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold

Hello everyone. This is a PSA.

I have been ill for over 5 days now and the symptoms are worsening every day. I did a mileage run last weekend and it's very likely that either I caught the bug while travelling, or alternatively I was already infected and passed it on.

I'm not sure it's Covid19, but either way it's still a nasty flu, so please, if you think you might be at risk please take care of yourself.

6th March
Huy Aspire Lounge
Huy-Ams 10:35
Ams Schengen Lounge
Ams-Cdg 17:45
Cdg T2F Lounge (lower numbers - left one)
Cdg-Gva 20:45

8th March
Gva manky departure hall (lounge is closed)
Gva-Cdg 09:00
Cdg T2F Lounge (lower numbers- left one)
Cdg-Ams 12:40
Ams Schengen Lounge
Ams-Huy 16:40

Don't reamember seat numbers but was generally row 1-3

After the sickness got worse I did a bit of digging and, would you believe it:
-Both my 2 AF planes on Sunday originated from Milan before coming my way... (One from MXP and other from LIN)....
-A friend I met in Switzerland has had a colleague diagnosed with Covid19...
Yikes.

I shall add, I thought I was being careful... I wiped down the tray table and armrest and I disinfected my hands constantly. Didn't work! One thing I regret massively is taking food from the buffet in the lounges. Lounge food is a health hazard and should be individually wrapped until further notice.
PeteM01, estnet, Fabo.sk and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Maestro Ramen; Mar 15, 2020 at 3:57 pm Reason: Had the dates wrong... I'm a bit delirious atm.. sorry
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
terribly sorry to hear that, but may i say for all others, now is not the time for mileage running of any sorts!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Ahaha agreed, learn from my mistake. To mitigate, I booked this one just before the pandemic started getting serious. I also actually needed to be in Switzerland that weekend so I'm still feeling very lucky I was able to pull it off just before the global ban. That said I could certainly have done without the added bonus!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Milage runs, disgusting habits.
RetiredATLATC and caliform like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
>A friend I met in Switzerland has had a colleague diagnosed with Covid19...<
Then why do you automatically assume that KLM/AF is to blame?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by mikem004
Nowhere did the OP say that! Just a PSA to warn people who may have been ?exposed and listing possible sources of infection of whatever they have.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikem004
Huh, where did you see me blame AF/KL?? Do you have a fever too?

I posted this because, if I did not contract it on the journey itself, I may have infected others, and I stated this very clearly. This isn't a complaint.

if anything AF/KL have been very decent with their flexibility in what must be a difficult time for them and I have nothing but respect for them. (but seriously, put your buffet food under wraps)
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Im really sorry I got the dates off by 1 day... Have amended the body now but I can't change the title
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Im really sorry I got the dates off by 1 day... Have amended the body now but I can't change the title
Alert the moderator. They can edit the title. I wish you a prompt recovery.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Sorry to hear this. I wish you speedy recovery!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for the support. I have seen paramedics todays (they are heroes) who ran a battery of tests and confirmed my vitals are a-ok. They are not allowed to run covid tests anymore (shockingly irresponsible uk gov) so we will never know for sure but they said the symptoms correspond and it's most likely it.

Thankfully I didnt leave home after returning so hopefully have limited the spread.

Please take care of yourselves folks. This is a disease that gets worse each day while you have it.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Thank you to everyone for the support. I have seen paramedics todays (they are heroes) who ran a battery of tests and confirmed my vitals are a-ok. They are not allowed to run covid tests anymore (shockingly irresponsible uk gov) so we will never know for sure but they said the symptoms correspond and it's most likely it.

Thankfully I didnt leave home after returning so hopefully have limited the spread.

Please take care of yourselves folks. This is a disease that gets worse each day while you have it.
I think you are responsible to both post areas where u were as well as documenting the course of your illness.
I know there is a shortage of test kits in the US and ?in the UK so what that means is that the statistics are completely unreliable and worse doesn't allow for any proper epidemiological tracing and/or data

Side note: Sadly the buffet is probably less of an issue than touching a contaminated surface, then touching your lips (well I guess the buffet comes in to play there) or nose, etc.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I hope you come through this as quickly as possible. It's clear that air travel really is best avoided at the moment. You could have been infected by someone who is showing no symptoms and who is unaware they are carrying the bug.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to drop a line to say that I have almost fully recovered now (still have a bit of residual cough and my smell/taste is still somewhat impaired). Massive thanks to everyone who sent a supportive message.

Want to spare a thought for the people still attained by the disease and those in intensive care. This is absolutely not "just another flu". It's the nastiest thing I ever had, and people are affected differently, but almost inevitably seriously. This thing completely changed me and how I look at life. Massive anger at the UK government for denying me the opportunity to confirm what I was infected with, and sweeping cases like me under the rug, truncating statistics. I was told on multiple occasions by the emergency hotline that, and I quote, "as you have not visited Italy, you need not worry about Coronavirus". Massive thanks to the medical staff out there who are dealing with this everyday, with inadequate protection and not being tested either.

Sorry for going a bit omni here Please, everyone, take this as seriously as you can, stay inside, protect your loved ones! Peace out.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Great to hear. So bad a situation potentially.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.