COVID-19: waivers for award tickets

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 14, 20, 6:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Gajan
Wiki Link
URL to Flying Blue news: https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/news/coronavirus-updates

We will continue to monitor the situation closely as it evolves. We are committed to sharing details and updates with you as soon as they become available. In case you have any questions about the implications regarding your situation, please see the frequently asked questions about this topic below:

If the travel date of your Reward Ticket or Promo Reward Ticket was before 31 May, 2020.
- The rebooking, reissuing, or refund of your ticket must be completed on or before 30 September, 2020.
- The rebooked travel date must be before 30 November, 2020.

For trip cancellations with Reward Tickets or Promo Tickets:
- Penalty fees for trip cancellations are waived.
- Whether you have a Reward Ticket or Promo reward ticket, your Miles will be re-credited to your Flying Blue Member account and airport taxes on the credit card used for payment.
- Ticketing fees are non refundable.

For change of travel dates with Reward Tickets or Promo Tickets:
- Flights booked with Air France and KLM, you will be reissued a ticket with same route, airline and booking class.
- Flights booked with other airlines partners flights or in combination with AF/KLM flights, you will be reissued a ticket with same route, airline and booking class. If we are unable to reissue a ticket with the same route, airline and booking class, we will issue a new one upon your request.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 7, 20, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684 View Post
I have promo awards I had booked in February for flights in May. If I want to move them to September do I have to 'pay' the difference in miles between the promo award pricing and new flights? I don't think I'll have enough miles in my FB account for that.
When I chatted with the Flying Blue rep, they stated any difference in miles required for your new flight you would need to pay the difference.

I tried to see if I could get a voucher for the same fare class (J class) and if it can be used for any future flights. Unfortunately they said now and that only cash purchases would be vouchers and any award flights the points would be refunded to your account along with taxes.
Old Apr 7, 20, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Drew523 View Post
If you need to cancel an award ticket, don't call but use the chatroom function. I was able to process 2 one way cancellations through the "Flying Blue Chatroom". It literally only took about 10-15 mins each. I got my points refunded to my account after I logged back onto my flying blue/airfrance/klm website with 5 mins one transaction. Other flight I didn't get my points refunded so after a few days I started up another chat and told the flying blue rep about it and they looked into and it showed up on my account after i logged in. I got cancellation confirmation and refund emails after my cancellation was processed by the rep. Showed how much I was getting refunded to my Amex and Chase card which I used to pay taxes/fees. After 2-3 business days I got refunds on my card already even though they said it can take up to 14 days to get your refund.

These were award flights booked in November 2019 with 2 ones way flights in 04/23 and 05/10.

I went to airfrance.com and clicked "My Account" and on the bottom right of the web a "Chat with Flying Blue Representative" chat box came up. I just wrote I have a award ticket that needs to be cancelled. They asked for my flying blue#, name, email or cellphone# the first time. Then they send you a text or email with a code and you respond back with the code so they can confirm who you are. 2nd time, a different rep asked for my booking reference# and then the security code was sent to the email I had on my flying blue profile. Either way, that was how they confirmed who you are similar to 2FA. Sometimes the chat doesn't always appear, I believe they are working in EST. I've gotten the chat box option and the reps were friendly.

Took about 10-15 mins each chat, totally beats waiting on queue over the phone!! You also have ability to have the chat conversation emailed to you for your records.

Also, make sure you use 2 separate browsers instead of 2 separate tabs if you need to log onto your KLM/AF or flying blue account. Last time I had one tab with the chat and i logged in to get my FB#, my chat tab went away... So I had to start over. I was honestly surprised and impressed with how painless and efficient the cancellation/refund went. I thought I was going to be on the phone for hours.
Thanks for posting. When were your flights booked? I have 2 one way award flights about a month away. Just wondering if there is any advantage to calling in now vs waiting a couple weeks or if it even matters at this point.
Old Apr 7, 20, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
Thanks for posting. When were your flights booked? I have 2 one way award flights about a month away. Just wondering if there is any advantage to calling in now vs waiting a couple weeks or if it even matters at this point.
flights were booked in November 2019 with 2 ones way flights in 04/23/20 and 05/10/20.
Old Apr 7, 20, 6:35 pm

flights were booked in November 2019 with 2 ones way flights in 04/23/20 and 05/10/20.
Thanks. Very similar to mine. Booked in Nov 19 two one ways for May 6th and 17th. Guess I'll try the chat thing this week or next.
Old Apr 8, 20, 3:41 pm

...I went to airfrance.com and clicked "My Account" and on the bottom right of the web a "Chat with Flying Blue Representative" chat box came up...
I can't seem to find any Chat feature.
1) I went to airfrance.us
2) (not logged in) I clicked My Account (upper right) and it takes me to a Login page. On this Login page there is no Chat option.
3) I log in.
4) The "My Account" is replaced with my name, status and miles.
5) If I click on this area a menu opens with these options
  • My Profile
  • My Reservations
  • Book a ticket with miles
  • Claim missing miles
  • Baggage Tracking
  • My Other Passengers
  • Sign Out
6) I've look at My Profile and the other links and nowhere can I find a Chat feature.

It is ~4:30 EST.

What am I missing?

I have a one-way, non-stop award flight PDX > LHR (on Delta) which I booked in June 2019 (two passengers). Travel date is May 18. There have been no changes to this flight. I know I can cancel and have the 144k miles redeposited and the taxes refunded, but I would like to avoid the redeposit fee x2.

UPDATE
I checked Google Flights and the PDX > LHR Delta one-way is no longer available on my travel date. It is also non-bookable on Delta. However my Reservation still shows it as a valid flight.

Last edited by fluffyCat; Apr 8, 20 at 3:55 pm
Old Apr 8, 20, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by fluffyCat View Post
I can't seem to find any Chat feature.
1) I went to airfrance.us
2) (not logged in) I clicked My Account (upper right) and it takes me to a Login page. On this Login page there is no Chat option.
3) I log in.
4) The "My Account" is replaced with my name, status and miles.
5) If I click on this area a menu opens with these options
  • My Profile
  • My Reservations
  • Book a ticket with miles
  • Claim missing miles
  • Baggage Tracking
  • My Other Passengers
  • Sign Out
6) I've look at My Profile and the other links and nowhere can I find a Chat feature.

It is ~4:30 EST.

What am I missing?

I have a one-way, non-stop award flight PDX > LHR (on Delta) which I booked in June 2019 (two passengers). Travel date is May 18. There have been no changes to this flight. I know I can cancel and have the 144k miles redeposited and the taxes refunded, but I would like to avoid the redeposit fee x2.
It doesn't always come up, like when i go to the website now I don't see it. I was doing my cancellations around 8-11 am PST. So your going to need to check it ever so often during the morning to see if it chat box pop ups on the bottom right.
Old Apr 8, 20, 4:24 pm

It doesn't always come up, like when i go to the website now I don't see it. I was doing my cancellations around 8-11 am PST. So your going to need to check it ever so often during the morning to see if it chat box pop ups on the bottom right.
Got it. Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 20, 10:26 am

Should see this, I got it this morning at 8:20 am PST. Sometimes you gotta refresh it a few times or go back to it a few times until it pops up on the bottom right
Old Apr 11, 20, 10:16 am

Should see this, I got it this morning at 8:20 am PST. Sometimes you gotta refresh it a few times or go back to it a few times until it pops up on the bottom right
Chat agent said I should use the email us option. Hmmmm. Wonder if I should do that or just try the chat option later.
Old Apr 11, 20, 2:12 pm

My award flight for June was just cancelled by KLM. Do I actually need to go through the whole refund request process or will my miles and fees be automatically refunded? The email(s) KLM sent me is low on details. It says I can start the process through My Trip on the KLM website, but my reservation is completely missing from the website now.
Old Apr 12, 20, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by time_stamp View Post
My award flight for June was just cancelled by KLM. Do I actually need to go through the whole refund request process or will my miles and fees be automatically refunded? The email(s) KLM sent me is low on details. It says I can start the process through My Trip on the KLM website, but my reservation is completely missing from the website now.
You'd better call them to make sure your case is processed as you wish.
time_stamp likes this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 10:37 am

Yesterday Delta finally sent me an email with the cancelled PDX > LHR flight.

This morning (11am EST) I went to airfrance.us, clicked My Account to go to the login screen, and the chat feature came up (just like the screen shot above).

I am online and chatting and the agent is processing the refund.

Recap:
Flying Blue award booked Jun 2019 PDX > LHR
144,000 Flying Blue miles + $20.21 (total for two tickets)

The chat lasted less than 10 minutes and the miles have already posted back into my account.
Old Apr 13, 20, 4:08 pm

Drew523 Thanks for posting about the chat feature. After my initial chat representative said to use the email feature, I tried again today and this one was able to cancel it very quickly. Sucks I had to cancel the trip, but thankfully I got all my miles back. Hopefully we'll be able to take the same trip later this year.
Old Apr 14, 20, 11:44 am

Another thanks for the info on chatting. 9 minutes to cancel promo award and have miles redeposited.
Old Apr 14, 20, 8:29 pm

Anyone having luck with chat to get miles back for flights the airline cancelled Both of my one way award flights for May have been cancelled without any mention of when or if I'll get my miles back. Also I have no idea if there will be an extension of the expiration date of the miles. Every time I try to login to flyingblue on my computer to contact them the site crashes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: