Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
URL to Flying Blue news: https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/news/coronavirus-updates

We will continue to monitor the situation closely as it evolves. We are committed to sharing details and updates with you as soon as they become available. In case you have any questions about the implications regarding your situation, please see the frequently asked questions about this topic below:

If the travel date of your Reward Ticket or Promo Reward Ticket was before 31 May, 2020.
- The rebooking, reissuing, or refund of your ticket must be completed on or before 30 September, 2020.
- The rebooked travel date must be before 30 November, 2020.

For trip cancellations with Reward Tickets or Promo Tickets:
- Penalty fees for trip cancellations are waived.
- Whether you have a Reward Ticket or Promo reward ticket, your Miles will be re-credited to your Flying Blue Member account and airport taxes on the credit card used for payment.
- Ticketing fees are non refundable.

For change of travel dates with Reward Tickets or Promo Tickets:
- Flights booked with Air France and KLM, you will be reissued a ticket with same route, airline and booking class.
- Flights booked with other airlines partners flights or in combination with AF/KLM flights, you will be reissued a ticket with same route, airline and booking class. If we are unable to reissue a ticket with the same route, airline and booking class, we will issue a new one upon your request.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: waivers for award tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
the €45/ticket refund fee).
It has been €50 for some time now.

https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/flights/reward-tickets
Old Mar 28, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I attempted to call but the queue was too long. i found a place on the website where I could send an email. I got a response last night saying that I had paid tickets. I've responded with documentation that shows 106,000 miles were deducted from my account. And now I wait.
Do you have access to some sort of elite service number or the platinum service line. I have the feeling they somehow manage to filter customers based on their phone number to privilege the departures within 72 hours. when I initially called (for a paid reservation which got cancelled - not for the award ticket to cancel), my departure was a week away. I was not even placed on hold of the PSL and was automatically requested to call again. Same when I tried to call again 5 days before departure. But at 72 hours before departure, my call was picked up within a couple minutes and the (KLM) agent immediately issued the voucher for my paid reservation with cancelled flights. At the same time I took the opportunity to ask him about the 3 award reservations I wanted to proactively cancel and he did so within seconds. So I think it might help if you have an upcoming reservation soon. In your case, contacting flying blue directly using the chat feature of the website could be also an option. I sent multiple emails recently to AF and KL but never got a reply (I cannot even find the email contact feature anymore on the KLM website for instance - they must be clearly overwhelmed by email communication those days).
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Called this morning since my message on the website for reimbursement of an award flight tomorrow has been ignored for one week now. Went pretty quickly (seems Saturday morning is slower) and the agent said he will do the necessary and I don't have to wait on the line. He said miles will come back quickly (and indeed, they are already back on the account), but the taxes will take about 2 weeks. I asked whether they will come back on my credit card, and he said yes.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I attempted to call but the queue was too long. i found a place on the website where I could send an email. I got a response last night saying that I had paid tickets. I've responded with documentation that shows 106,000 miles were deducted from my account. And now I wait.
That's frustrating. Maybe try calling again to see if the queue has shortened. Agent I got was top-notch. She had it done in under five minutes.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:37 pm

I have a return award flight in mid June that I need to cancel (because the away flight on another airline has already been canceled.) It seems like I'll need to pay 50 euro whether I cancel now or later. Is this right? Seems like the smart thing to do is wait and see if the cancellation fee will be waived eventually. Is there any particular reason to do this sooner? Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by time_stamp
I have a return award flight in mid June that I need to cancel (because the away flight on another airline has already been canceled.) It seems like I'll need to pay 50 euro whether I cancel now or later. Is this right? Seems like the smart thing to do is wait and see if the cancellation fee will be waived eventually. Is there any particular reason to do this sooner? Thanks.
Exactly, wait until your flight hopefully gets cancelled/time changed or until there is a new waiver in place.
dhuey, irishguy28 and time_stamp like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Cancelled two pairs of one way award tickets, one May 15, the other June 5.
No cancellation fee, miles went back into my account, refund of taxes and fees to my credit card promised.

It took two tries, the first time only my wife's ticket was cancelled. Hold times for Flying Blue were pretty short. To be double sure, I disputed the credit card charges after cancelling (they said it might take 14 days to get the money back); credit from Citibank was immediate.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Called this morning since my message on the website for reimbursement of an award flight tomorrow has been ignored for one week now. Went pretty quickly (seems Saturday morning is slower) and the agent said he will do the necessary and I don't have to wait on the line. He said miles will come back quickly (and indeed, they are already back on the account), but the taxes will take about 2 weeks. I asked whether they will come back on my credit card, and he said yes.
Well - the reimbursement of the taxes took only 1 day rather than 2 weeks. Well done.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Well - the reimbursement of the taxes took only 1 day rather than 2 weeks. Well done.
Very prompt here too. Called on Saturday (?) to and cancel two award flights and funds back on credit card today. Nice little bonus of an extra Ł10 due to exchange rate fluctuations.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
https://wecare.klm.com/nl_en/
Attached Images  
Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by irishguy28
It has been €50 for some time now.

https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/flights/reward-tickets
Whoa, that's new, I thought it was 300 FRF to cancel or rebook a Frequence Plus award!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Deleted
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:00 am
Community Director Emerita

I received a note today saying I was right, it was an award ticket. The points are back in my account and they have refunded the taxes. It took a week from the time I wrote to get their response.

I still have the return flight in May. I anticipate that it will be proactively cancelled so am doing nothing with it for now.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:34 am

I have promo awards I had booked in February for flights in May. If I want to move them to September do I have to 'pay' the difference in miles between the promo award pricing and new flights? I don't think I'll have enough miles in my FB account for that.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:08 pm

If you need to cancel an award ticket, don't call but use the chatroom function. I was able to process 2 one way cancellations through the "Flying Blue Chatroom". It literally only took about 10-15 mins each. I got my points refunded to my account after I logged back onto my flying blue/airfrance/klm website with 5 mins one transaction. Other flight I didn't get my points refunded so after a few days I started up another chat and told the flying blue rep about it and they looked into and it showed up on my account after i logged in. I got cancellation confirmation and refund emails after my cancellation was processed by the rep. Showed how much I was getting refunded to my Amex and Chase card which I used to pay taxes/fees. After 2-3 business days I got refunds on my card already even though they said it can take up to 14 days to get your refund.

These were award flights booked in November 2019 with 2 ones way flights in 04/23 and 05/10.

I went to airfrance.com and clicked "My Account" and on the bottom right of the web a "Chat with Flying Blue Representative" chat box came up. I just wrote I have a award ticket that needs to be cancelled. They asked for my flying blue#, name, email or cellphone# the first time. Then they send you a text or email with a code and you respond back with the code so they can confirm who you are. 2nd time, a different rep asked for my booking reference# and then the security code was sent to the email I had on my flying blue profile. Either way, that was how they confirmed who you are similar to 2FA. Sometimes the chat doesn't always appear, I believe they are working in EST. I've gotten the chat box option and the reps were friendly.

Took about 10-15 mins each chat, totally beats waiting on queue over the phone!! You also have ability to have the chat conversation emailed to you for your records.

Also, make sure you use 2 separate browsers instead of 2 separate tabs if you need to log onto your KLM/AF or flying blue account. Last time I had one tab with the chat and i logged in to get my FB#, my chat tab went away... So I had to start over. I was honestly surprised and impressed with how painless and efficient the cancellation/refund went. I thought I was going to be on the phone for hours.

Last edited by Drew523; Apr 7, 2020 at 3:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.