Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:55 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I just cancelled a ticket for a flight to BKO by calling the Club line. As my ticket was refundable, although with a penalty, I was granted a full refund, because AF waived the penalty. They could not waive the Eur 1.00 service charge, but that is fine with me . The wait to reach an agent was under 3mn and the cancellation process took about the same time. I have received by e-mail the cancellation and refund documents and will now wait to see the credit on my visa card.
All in all, a pleasant and seamless experience .
blairvanhorn and Goldorak like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by mfkne
If a flight is cancelled you're entitled to a refund under EU 261.
Uhm... Nope.

Unfortunately, you are not entitled to compensation based on the EU Regulation 261/2004. Cancellation of flights due to the Coronavirus is considered an extraordinary circumstance, which exempts airlines from paying compensation.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Didymis
Uhm... Nope.

Unfortunately, you are not entitled to compensation based on the EU Regulation 261/2004. Cancellation of flights due to the Coronavirus is considered an extraordinary circumstance, which exempts airlines from paying compensation.
This appears to conflate the right to reimbursement under Article 8 with the right to compensation under Article 7. I think that most reasonable people would accept that there is no right to compensation (the COVID-19 pandemic undoubtedly constituting an extraordinary circumstance) and so there is no €250/€400/€600 compensation payable, but this does not excuse KLM from having to reimburse the fare actually paid in accordance with Article 8.

You can understand why they're fighting tooth and nail to hang on to the cash they have though.
NickB and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:08 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...o-coronavirus/

Refund on a BA based article. What to make of it for KL?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: FB Gold
EMD

Originally Posted by AlvinMaker
You get an e-voucher (EMD) to redeem within a year (can be used for any flight open for sale at date of usage). It's just a voucher number basically.

Just now there was no waiting time at the PSL.
I canceled flights a week ago but I didn't receive any EMD yet (flight would be tomorrow, in the app shows as canceled). One cancellation was done with the call center, two others were OTA-bookings. The OTA sent me an e-mail stating my flights are now canceled (they are indeed) and I have received a future travel credit (I haven't yet). Hence my question: How long will it take to issue such an EMD? I know, it will be valid one year from the issue date of the original ticket.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Didymis
Uhm... Nope.

Great, we're in agreement, because I mentioned a refund :-)
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I can also report a good experience with the AF/KLM call centre when cancelling a trip to Italy, due next week on AF.
I received an EMD email very soon after my call.
Call wait was very short. However, this was Monday last week before the US restrictions came out and things exploded.

The call centre staff deserve a lot of credit for their work in helping people through this unique situation for the airline industry.
JOUY31 and Goldorak like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Paul74
Is it an Amadeus EMD receipt?
Yes it is
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by KL803
I know, it will be valid one year from the issue date of the original ticket.
One year from the issue date of the original ticket, not from the issue date of the voucher ?
Wow, it is not good!

​​​​​​If the ticket issued date is 01. June 2019 and I want to cancel it I will get a voucher valid to 01.June 2020 only ?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:30 pm

Booked through agency?

So I booked my trip for 6 of us almost 9 months ago.

a few weeks ago, I was told from my agent that my flight is non refundable and also can’t get credit for future travel.

however with the new policy from Air France, would I have options now? Even if I can have credit to use within a year?
would i Have better luck if i contact Air France directly to make a plea?
travel is supposed to be 21/3/20
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ausabroadable
So I booked my trip for 6 of us almost 9 months ago.

a few weeks ago, I was told from my agent that my flight is non refundable and also can’t get credit for future travel.

however with the new policy from Air France, would I have options now? Even if I can have credit to use within a year?
would i Have better luck if i contact Air France directly to make a plea?
travel is supposed to be 21/3/20

Like other airlines, Waiver policy changes rapidly.
AF current policy for non-refundable tickets is that you can get a voucher for future travel. You have to book the flights within a year.
Pleading with AF will not make them change their policy.

AF has been cancelling en masse.
As booked pax cancel or postpone travel, they have incentive to cancel even more flights. If one of your flight is cancelled, then you would be able to get full cash refund (minus any TA fee).
Airlines are playing a bit of cat and mouse game. If the airline cancels the flight they have to pay cash. If you do ,they give you a voucher for future travel. On many airline forums, people advise to wait to take advantage of cash.

Last edited by brunos; Mar 14, 2020 at 10:02 pm
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Originally Posted by brunos

As booked pax cancel or postpone travel, they have incentive to cancel even more flights. If one of your flight is cancelled, then you would be able to get full cash refund (minus any TA fee).
Airlines are playing a bit of cat and mouse game. If the airline cancels the flight they have to pay cash. If you do ,they give you a voucher for future travel. On many airline forums, people advise to wait to take advantage of cash.
I am GB Gold. Last week I spent about 2 minutes in a queue to reach KLM. The last few days I have given up, but today I spent an hour to get through. I was told that non gold members are taking up to 4 hours to get through. And I rang in the middle of the night for them.

They did confirm what you said - if your flight is cancelled you can get a cash refund.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:15 am

Thank you Brunos
helpful information and I am keeping my fingers crossed

Originally Posted by brunos
Like other airlines, Waiver policy changes rapidly.
AF current policy for non-refundable tickets is that you can get a voucher for future travel. You have to book the flights within a year.
Pleading with AF will not make them change their policy.

Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:44 am

Programs: FB Gold, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Paul74
One year from the issue date of the original ticket, not from the issue date of the voucher ?
Wow, it is not good!

​​​​​​If the ticket issued date is 01. June 2019 and I want to cancel it I will get a voucher valid to 01.June 2020 only ?
No, it is one year from issue date of voucher, nothing to do with ticket issue date
Paul74 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:02 am

So I have a long haul flight from Australia to Europe. one of my flights (Paris to Italy) was cancelled and re-routed. Does this mean that I could possibly get a refund for the entire trip due to that cancellation? Or just for that cancelled trip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.