Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by 18sas
I wish that were the case, but it hasn't worked that way for me. I cancelled a ticket under the 24 hour Risk-Free Cancellation policy last week and the refund hasn't processed yet. It's definitely not automated, and I don't expect to see my refund back anytime soon.

You might think that the 24 hour Risk-Free Cancellation would somehow be given priority, but it doesn't work out that way.
I see. You booked directly with AF on the AF website ? What I meant by automated is that for existing bookings which have at least one cancelled flight, it now takes only a few days for AF to issue a refund (in my experience of 3 bookings in the last few months showing cancellation). I even had a booking where the notification of refund was sent to me by email about 1 hour after submitting the request and money showed up on my credit card a couple days later. Was positively surprised. KLM on the other hand is still experiencing severe delays in refunding. My past two experiences were 3 months and 3.5 months, and I am still expecting one refund requested in September...
Old Nov 24, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
I cancelled a few flights last weeks, all requesting vouchers. AF took a few days, KL sent 1 voucher within an hour, the other one I'm already waiting for 5 days now.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
I'm not sure there is any automation going on and suspect some people are just lucky.

As another data point I requested a refund on 26th September from Air France for a cancelled flight, and nothing received yet. I contacted them and they simply told me they can see the refund and been requested and I should just wait, it could be some time. I suppose it may also depend which country website you booked on, I booked on Air France Mexico as my flight originated there, so had to request the refund through there as well.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
So some good news today on my KLM voucher request. I first attempted to contact the Twitter team to ask them for help issuing a voucher immediately, and I was told that it would take several more weeks and that there was no way to speed up the process.

Today I called the general customer service line and got an agent pretty quickly. She put me on hold while she immediately processed the voucher. I then attempted to book the new itinerary online, but encountered a website error which instructed me to call the customer service line. I'm pretty sure I got the same exact agent, and she was able to apply the voucher ( there was about a $10 difference in fare which I paid with a CC) and ticket it again immediately.

The first call took 8 minutes total. The second one 6.5. Not bad really!

It was probably a good day to call given the holiday.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Maybe it was already asked before, so be lenient!

A January 2021 flight has just been cancelled by KLM, for a trip directly booked through KLM or AF.
Initial trip was supposed to occur in September 2020. I decided to rebook it (with a fare increase) for January due to personal circumstances.

Of course, KL is now suggesting a date change, a voucher or full refund. I want to choose the latter.

The simple question:
Will AF/KL refund me the intitial tickets amount paid plus the fare difference (paid in September); or just the initial tickets fare?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red

A January 2021 flight has just been cancelled by KLM, for a trip directly booked through KLM or AF.
Initial trip was supposed to occur in September 2020. I decided to rebook it (with a fare increase) for January due to personal circumstances.

Of course, KL is now suggesting a date change, a voucher or full refund. I want to choose the latter.

The simple question:
Will AF/KL refund me the intitial tickets amount paid plus the fare difference (paid in September); or just the initial tickets fare?
You will be reimbursed for the total amount.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red

The simple question:
You always get the full amount back. Now if you partially paid with a voucher on the inital ticket, you get a voucher for that amount.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 9:21 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I had a KLM flight canceled that I purchased for 141 euro + 10 euro booking fees. Requested a refund and received a voucher of 141 euro. Asked why the booking fee was not refunded (since they canceled the flight) and was told that, when the voucher would be used, the booking fee would not be charged.

However how does that work if you book the flight on the AF website, where it doesnt charge booking fees anyway? Or what if you use the voucher for multiple bookings on the KL website - do you then not pay the booking fee for each booking?

I find it a little weird that when they charged me 151 euro, they only give out a voucher for 141. Is this common?
Old Dec 5, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: FB platinum
I had a MR planned for november, which I pushed back to December, and now 5 out of my 6 flights are cancelled. I called the platinum line, canceled it and got refunded on my Amex (since the flights are cancelled) in less than 48 hours, which is very quick
Old Dec 5, 2020, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I had a KLM flight canceled that I purchased for 141 euro + 10 euro booking fees. Requested a refund and received a voucher of 141 euro. Asked why the booking fee was not refunded (since they canceled the flight) and was told that, when the voucher would be used, the booking fee would not be charged.

However how does that work if you book the flight on the AF website, where it doesnt charge booking fees anyway? Or what if you use the voucher for multiple bookings on the KL website - do you then not pay the booking fee for each booking?

I find it a little weird that when they charged me 151 euro, they only give out a voucher for 141. Is this common?
I think the agent is wrong here. They should have reimbursed you the booking fee, as the cancellation comes from the airline.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I think the agent is wrong here. They should have reimbursed you the booking fee, as the cancellation comes from the airline.
In my experience (half a dozen flights cancelled and refunded in 2020), booking fees were never reimbursed.

Not sure if that’s normal/legal behavior, but that is what they do.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: FB Ultimate - BA EC - LH M&M - Accor All Gold
Originally Posted by maalloc
In my experience (half a dozen flights cancelled and refunded in 2020), booking fees were never reimbursed.

Not sure if that’s normal/legal behavior, but that is what they do.
Same experience for me. They say that booking fees are NEVER refunded.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 2:53 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So what happens when you use such voucher then? The agent told me that I would not be paying the booking fees when using a voucher. Somehow I doubt that it would work, but who knows. Any experiences?
Old Dec 6, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
Everytime you pay with a voucher totally or partially , there is no booking fee to be paid. I experienced several times.
Goldorak and Xandrios like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 1:22 pm

Hi, does anyone know the standard procedure when KLM decides to cancel flights? KL591 to Johannesburg has been removed from sale until 26 December, but KLM says it is still operating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.