Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
you can use the voucher for several separate bookings. Otherwise said, if you have a 500€ voucher and book a new flight costing 300€, a new 200€ voucher will be emitted (with a new number).
In that case you will not be entitled to the 15% bonus.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by westi2002
In that case you will not be entitled to the 15% bonus.
correct.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
New rebooking policy in case of PCR test result non available

I thought that this could interest many of you. AFKL has a specific rebooking policy in case a PCR test is required for a flight/for a destination but you have not received the result on-time

Consignes de report volontaire : Test PCR non disponible avant la date de voyage :
En raison de l'évolution permanente de la situation sanitaire liée au coronavirus (covid-19) des mesures sanitaires sont mises en place par de nombreux pays avec notamment la nécessité d'ętre en possession d'un test PCR négatif.
Les consignes suivantes de report volontaire sont disponibles pour tous les clients ayant un billet Air France (057) ou KLM (074) et qui ont besoin de quelques jours supplémentaires pour obtenir leur test, quelle que soit la destination.

NB :
- Ces consignes sont valables uniquement si le client demande la modification de son voyage avant le départ de son vol, quel que soit le point de contact.

- Ces consignes s'ajoutent aux consignes générales de report volontaire actuelles.

Date d'émission du billet : quelle que soit la date d'émission
Dates de voyages concernées : jusqu'au 31 décembre 2020
Date limite de report : dans les 4 jours qui suivent la date de voyage initiale ou sur le prochain vol disponible
Date de réémission : entre 2 jours avant le départ et le jour du voyage
English translation:
voluntary postponement instructions: PCR test not available before the travel date:
Due to the permanent evolution of the health situation linked to the coronavirus (covid-19), health measures have been implemented by many countries with in particular the need to be in possession of a negative PCR test.
The following voluntary postponement instructions are available for all customers with an Air France (057) or KLM (074) ticket and who need a few extra days to get their test, regardless of the destination.

NB:
- These instructions are only valid if the customer requests a modification of his trip before the departure of his flight, regardless of the point of contact.
- These instructions are in addition to the current general voluntary deferral instructions.
Ticket issue date: regardless of the issue date
Travel dates concerned: until December 31, 2020
Postponement deadline: within 4 days of the original travel date or on the next available flight
Reissue date: between 2 days before departure and the day of travel
blairvanhorn and pascalgr like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
This last move of AF on allowing rebooking within 4 days is a good move; However it will not solve the problem of having the test result within 72 hours, which from what I read and hear is also very challenging;
The good approach would be : in case you cannot get the result within 72 hours then you can rebook later ;
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Hello all,

Back in March I booked a cheap KL ticket in Biz to fly from BCN to MEX in July.
The airline cancelled/change the flights several times so I decided to postpone my trip until October.

Taking in consideration how this is evolving, I don’t want to book weeks in advance but only 3/4 days, and I phoned today asking if this it would be possible and they told me that probably I would have to pay a fare difference.

This is correct? I understood that providing there was space in Biz class they would “override” the fare bucket system.

Thanks for your insight,
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by pascalgr
This last move of AF on allowing rebooking within 4 days is a good move; However it will not solve the problem of having the test result within 72 hours, which from what I read and hear is also very challenging;
The good approach would be : in case you cannot get the result within 72 hours then you can rebook later ;
Did a test yesterday at 1pm for a flight Friday morning.
Got the result today at 5pm. So D+1

Heard that some companies are dealing with « occupational physician » of their area to get test results within the day.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by pascalgr
But what you are proposing here is going beyond airline control. The 72 or 48 hrs requirement is a destination or transit country requirement. No airline can circumvent a country requirement. What this new AF policy is allowing is to rebook for free when you cannot be tested (sampled) on-time, and this is a nice policy IMO and they cannot go beyond this principle.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
I agree with you that testing is a requirement from countries outside control of Airlines; However Airlines needs these days to make it as easy as possible for the client to fly again like Ethiad policy :https://www.etihad.com/en-fr/travel-...-travel-guides

"If your test is positive or you are unable to present proof of your negative COVID-19 PCR test, you will not be permitted to travel. You can rearrange your flight for free, or cancel and use the value of your flight towards your next trip with Etihad Credit"
Old Sep 17, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak
you can use the voucher for several separate bookings. Otherwise said, if you have a 500€ voucher and book a new flight costing 300€, a new 200€ voucher will be emitted (with a new number).
Thanks very much. That's excellent to know. I'm glad I took the voucher now.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadavid
Heard that some companies are dealing with « occupational physician » of their area to get test results within the day.
I got tested the other week at a lab in Amsterdam called Coronalab.eu (yep, that's the name of their website too). They were hyperefficient, seven staff processed six customers every five minutes. Results by email guaranteed within 12 hours. Got tested in the morning, email received that evening. The lab is only 20 minutes from Schiphol.

Johan
Old Sep 17, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Interestingly, I called KLM twice in recent days to get more detail about the scope of the current policy. Apparently, bookings are now completely changeable such that the origin city and country can also be changed in addition to the destination and dates without a change fee penalty, so long as the difference in fare is paid. This is a major improvement and enables me to consider using my AFKL voucher through AFKL Reservations instead of booking through, say, Delta.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Thumbs up Rebooked KLM with no additional fare collected

Wife and had a rt LAX-BIO on AF booked directly thru KLM. Trip was booked for departure in August, and we could not fly even if wanted to on US passports. We called KLM in July and changed all the flights to "OPEN". At that time, the agent said to call back in September to rebook for a feasible date or convert to a voucher. I found a date in June 2021 that had "Z" fare available, but priced much higher than what we had originally paid on Sept 30, 2019.

Agent simply rebooked for our preferred June 2021 dates with no additional fare collected.

I also had a separate LAX-MAD rt booked for December. Was also able to move it to March/April 2021 with no additional fare collected. Again, a "Z" fare rebooked to a "Z" fare (at a little higher price).

Very happy with KLM!
NOLAnwGOLD and Keyser like this.

Last edited by Bowgie; Oct 4, 2020 at 1:40 pm
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:37 am

I bought a pair of tickets on Air France through an OTA (Flight Network). About $3,000 total. Air France cancelled the flights on May 8th due to COVID, and Flight Network sent me an email saying I had been issued a voucher. As described in the email from Flight Network on May 8th, the conditions on the voucher are very strict: must be used before Jan 6th 2021, all travel must be completed before Jan 6 2021, must be used for the passengers with the same name, if used to buy ticket of lower value the difference in price is lost.

I now see on the Air France website that the conditions on Air France vouchers are considerably more permissive (for example can use until the end of 2021), and that you can apply for a refund.

I'm trying to figure out my options. Is this an Air France voucher with terms dictated by them, or is this a Flight Network voucher? Can I apply for a refund, and if so, do I do that through Air France, or does Flight Network have to do it on my behalf through Air France?

Flight Network's "priority" line has 80 minute wait times, so I'm hoping to avoid working with them.

Last edited by mhaines94108; Sep 29, 2020 at 10:00 am
Old Oct 5, 2020, 5:19 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, I have 2 AF Z fare LAX-DUB-LAX flight that was originally suppose to fly April 2020 --> Oct 2020, which has flight cancellations for up to 8 hours earlier on the return. I called today to try to punt to Sept 2021 since it just doesn't seem feasible until then but they told me that I'd have to pay the fare difference (was a very good $2000 RT fare) and that they would let one of the reissue desks reprice the ticket (books at $4k currently) and would take about a week for them to respond by email. I wish they would just let us rebook into the available Z inventory...if not looks like I"m going to ask for a refund. The extra 15% is ok, but seems a bit annoying to have to purchase $2300 tickets to get the benefits of the voucher.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
Kenya Airways Covid Refund

Originally Posted by JayFarber
So, I have a paid flight on Kenya Airways which is now cancelled. They're only offering a travel voucher and not full refund. Is my solution to try to dispute with AMEX or?
Another data point as not much KQ chatter on this site. I called Chase Sapphire Reserved on 9/30 to dispute my September Kenya Airways cancellation. Chase posted a credit on 9/30, closed the dispute on 10/9. Kenya also posted a duplicate credit which Chase netted out for a successful transaction. In my dispute, I pointed out the voucher will not meet my future travel needs.

SAA dispute still open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.