Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Wil973
book a 40 euros flight... you will receive a New voucher 460 euros valid one more year... just 40 euros lost
That is my plan. Except that I won't book a nonrefundable 40 EUR flight but a fully refundable one, so the new voucher has the same value.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
That is my plan. Except that I won't book a nonrefundable 40 EUR flight but a fully refundable one, so the new voucher has the same value.
That works, I was about to do it last year. Except you would then get a new voucher for 460 EUR valid 1 year from the date of the flight booking, and another 40 EUR voucher valid 1 year for the date of the cancellation of the 40 EUR refundable flight. To keep only one unique voucher, you need to buy a 500 EUR+ refundable ticket, cancel it and get another 500 EUR voucher (and cash refund for the part over 500 EUR).

In my case, I discussed this with the platinum service line and they told me not to bother with this strategy and that they will take care of that and issue me new vouchers after the old ones have expired, and indeed, they did, no hassle and great service!
Wil973 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To add a data point:

KL ticket booked for flights in April/May. Canceled by the airline, rescheduled for this month. After umpteen schedule changes and cancelations by DL, always without taking the impact on other segments into account, I finally asked for a refund. Received a confimation e-mail straightaway. After a month, I sent a nudge mail. Got the usual bla bla reply, but with the addition that because of my many years of loyalty they would expedite the refund. Another month later an email arrived informing me the ticket had been refunded. A week after that, I actually got the money.

Johan
Old Sep 7, 2020, 2:53 am

I need some assistance/help/Info:

I have a AF full flex ticket (full refund in case of cancellation by myself). One leg of the ticket has been cancelled so that I would have to stay a full night in CDG and take the flight only the next day, i.e. a considerable change which normally allows a full refund within 7 days according to EU regulation 261/2004.
In any case, I do not want to fly. Now, to get back my money as fast as possible, which is the better option:

a) Asking for a full refund according to EU regulation 261/2004 or
b) just cancel the ticket online according to the cancellation rules of the full flex ticket (if I chose this option I automatically get forwarded to a website where I only need to confirm my cancellation, I also see the full refund amount)?

I could imagine that the refund process might be initiated automatically with option b) and I do not need to wait months for the money being paid back? Does anybody have some experience in this? However with option a) I would have better chance to get a chargeback as soon as possible since there is the 7 days rule for the refund. But I would have to wait long times on the phone (already 1 hours waiting now!).
Old Sep 7, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Hello,

​​​​​​I have a ticket CDG-MAD-CDG.

I already flew the first leg CDG-MAD but I don't want to use the return flight.

At this time the return flight is not canceled.
It is booked in economy light. If I change the return flight to economy flex by paying the 80 extra will I be able to get a full refund (cash or voucher) on the return flight ?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IstKong
It is booked in economy light. If I change the return flight to economy flex by paying the 80€ extra will I be able to get a full refund (cash or voucher) on the return flight ?
AIUI, you cannot turn a non-flex ticket into a flex ticket by upgrading, otherwise there would be little point in buying a flex ticket if you can turn a non-flex one into a flex one by upgrading. Under covid policies, however, you should be able to at least change the date of your return to a later date. If you are likely to go to MAD in the future, you could re-use it that way. You can also wait to see if the flight is eventually cancelled, which would enable you to get it refunded.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by postville
I need some assistance/help/Info:

I have a AF full flex ticket (full refund in case of cancellation by myself). One leg of the ticket has been cancelled so that I would have to stay a full night in CDG and take the flight only the next day, i.e. a considerable change which normally allows a full refund within 7 days according to EU regulation 261/2004.
In any case, I do not want to fly. Now, to get back my money as fast as possible, which is the better option:

a) Asking for a full refund according to EU regulation 261/2004 or
b) just cancel the ticket online according to the cancellation rules of the full flex ticket (if I chose this option I automatically get forwarded to a website where I only need to confirm my cancellation, I also see the full refund amount)?

I could imagine that the refund process might be initiated automatically with option b) and I do not need to wait months for the money being paid back? Does anybody have some experience in this? However with option a) I would have better chance to get a chargeback as soon as possible since there is the 7 days rule for the refund. But I would have to wait long times on the phone (already 1 hours waiting now!).
2 years ago (so way before Covid) I cancelled a fully refundable ticket. I waited 103 (!) days before I received the refund. They said the problem was that I paid the ticket by money transfer and not by creditcard.

So in your case I would opt for option 1.
postville likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
I have a quick question, can anyone help, if you know the answer?

I received a voucher for a return flight HUY-ORD which changed so often that the eventual itinerary was a day earlier departing and the return via a different route, so I managed to get a refund voucher with the extra 15% value, which fell well, as I now wouldn't be making the journey anyway.

I would like to do the journey at the same time next year, though, but I'm conscious that my voucher is worth more than the original cost.

Do I have to spend the whole value of the voucher on a single itinerary, or will I be able to spend the voucher on more than one? For instance, I could maybe get a TATL flight more cheaply on DL or VS from LHR, and have a bit of money left over on the voucher value to go towards a weekend trip to AMS.

Or do I have to spend the voucher all in one go, in which case I'll look at upgrading my flight somehow?
Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
New update:

A fully flexible sales policy

Air France is adapting its commercial measures to enable its customers to book their next trip in complete confidence.

If customers wish to cancel their trip, their ticket can now be changed at no extra cost and without proof, on the date and to the destination* of their choice. If they prefer, they can request a refundable credit voucher. These measures, which provide optimal flexibility, apply to all trips until 31 March 2021.

If their flight is cancelled by the airline, customers can choose to postpone their trip to the date and destination* of their choice, request a full ticket refund or receive a credit voucher, which is also refundable if not used.
As I read it, also voluntary cancellations now are eligible for a voucher which is then refundable, probably after one year, for cash?
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by IstKong
It is booked in economy light. If I change the return flight to economy flex by paying the 80 extra will I be able to get a full refund (cash or voucher) on the return flight ?
No; you cannot do this. Do not pay extra money; you won't get it back.

Just think about it; if it was really that easy to "force" the airline to give you your money back, then there would be little point in the airline having different ticket families from the start.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
New update:

As I read it, also voluntary cancellations now are eligible for a voucher which is then refundable, probably after one year, for cash?
Further to this, the 15% bonus also applies to the voluntarily requested voucher, even if there is no cancelled flight!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:08 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Further to this, the 15% bonus also applies to the voluntarily requested voucher, even if there is no cancelled flight!
in my understanding, this was only for flights until 31.August. When the departure is from September onwards and the flight was not changed/cancelled by the airline you cannot "just" request a voucher and benefit from the 15% bonus.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
I have a quick question, can anyone help, if you know the answer?

I received a voucher for a return flight HUY-ORD which changed so often that the eventual itinerary was a day earlier departing and the return via a different route, so I managed to get a refund voucher with the extra 15% value, which fell well, as I now wouldn't be making the journey anyway.

I would like to do the journey at the same time next year, though, but I'm conscious that my voucher is worth more than the original cost.

Do I have to spend the whole value of the voucher on a single itinerary, or will I be able to spend the voucher on more than one? For instance, I could maybe get a TATL flight more cheaply on DL or VS from LHR, and have a bit of money left over on the voucher value to go towards a weekend trip to AMS.

Or do I have to spend the voucher all in one go, in which case I'll look at upgrading my flight somehow?
you can use the voucher for several separate bookings. Otherwise said, if you have a 500 voucher and book a new flight costing 300, a new 200 voucher will be emitted (with a new number).
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gkl
in my understanding, this was only for flights until 31.August. When the departure is from September onwards and the flight was not changed/cancelled by the airline you cannot "just" request a voucher and benefit from the 15% bonus.
Seems like this has been updated?

If you have a ticket for a flight initially scheduled before 31 March 2021, you can request a refundable voucher or a refund according to the fare conditions of your ticket. Please note that this request must be made prior to the departure date of your initial flight.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 6:56 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Seems like this has been updated?

If you have a ticket for a flight initially scheduled before 31 March 2021, you can request a refundable voucher or a refund according to the fare conditions of your ticket. Please note that this request must be made prior to the departure date of your initial flight.
oh yes, this is good news.
I indeed had this issue that I wanted to issue a voucher for a flight for September 2020 and it was refused because - back then - this offer was only until end of August. But good to know that this was now extended.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.