Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Old May 7, 2020, 1:23 pm

Received a voucher for a AF flight I cancelled a while ago, right when all of this Covid19 stuff started. It took me three phonecalls and 6 weeks to get the voucher from my initial phone call with them. Interestingly enough, the voucher arrived written in Spanish and issued by Air France Services Mexico. (Ticket was purchased in US, but I called Air France Canada after being told by AFKLMDL in the US that I was not eligible for a voucher or refund since my flight had been changed by only a couple hours. A couple questions for anyone in the know:
1) It specifically states Restrictions (*MNonendo-nonref/valid1year/AFKLOnly/Due Corona).
Can you I use this for a ticket on Delta? My guess is no, given bostontraveler's recent post on another thread in this forum, and my own searching of past topics covering this.
2) Can I use this voucher to pay to upgrade an existing reservation from J to P?

Muchas gracias, amigos
Old May 7, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: FB Gold
So it sounds like processing time is 6-8 weeks after submission of request.......
Old May 7, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by mlin32
So it sounds like processing time is 6-8 weeks after submission of request.......
For the voucher or a refund?
Old May 7, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by drjeffrock
Received a voucher for a AF flight I cancelled a while ago, right when all of this Covid19 stuff started. It took me three phonecalls and 6 weeks to get the voucher from my initial phone call with them. Interestingly enough, the voucher arrived written in Spanish and issued by Air France Services Mexico. (Ticket was purchased in US, but I called Air France Canada after being told by AFKLMDL in the US that I was not eligible for a voucher or refund since my flight had been changed by only a couple hours. A couple questions for anyone in the know:
1) It specifically states Restrictions (*MNonendo-nonref/valid1year/AFKLOnly/Due Corona).
Can you I use this for a ticket on Delta? My guess is no, given bostontraveler's recent post on another thread in this forum, and my own searching of past topics covering this.
2) Can I use this voucher to pay to upgrade an existing reservation from J to P?

Muchas gracias, amigos
Two things happened with Delta. First I tried to use the 057 voucher and the system said it didn't recognize it. So I Tweeted them and was told that the voucher belonged to AF and as such I had to go through AF/KL.....

I think you probably can use that for an upgrade because the upgrade requires a reissue. But I am guessing

One thing I do know, you cannot use it for award ticket "taxes" which is stupid because most of that is AF profit....
drjeffrock likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
For the voucher or a refund?
I got a voucher, but i had submitted a form for a refund (as was the policy at the moment before they switched everyone to vouchers).

For me a voucher is fine because I plan to fly AF within the next year anyway, and as it states in the email, because my flight was eventually cancelled, it is redeemable for cash after 12 months. Heck, it's even nice cuz then AMEX won't take back the points I earned on the transaction.
Old May 7, 2020, 2:15 pm

I had the same thing happen. I applied for a refund... then got a voucher.
Old May 7, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
That's great to hear. No such luck here in France. What country was the card issued in if I might ask?
That one was from portugal. Took around 2 weeks to get it credited since I initiated the process
bostontraveler likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
I had to ask vouchers for 3 different round trips :
- LAX/LIH operated by Delta, bought on AF Fr website : received voucher in 2 weeks
- LIS/BOD operated by KLM/Transavia, bought on AF Fr website : received voucher in 1 week
- MRS/BOD operated by AF, bought on AF Fr website : received voucher in 1hr.

Please note that AF/KL voucher does not cover the booking fees (1Eur per segment)
Old May 8, 2020, 8:52 am

Some vouchers are with booking fees and some are not i dont know why....
i received one yesterday with 100% what i paid...
received in 1 min after phone call....
and i have other vouchers that are without the booking fee ...
weird
Old May 8, 2020, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Wil973
i received one yesterday with 100% what i paid...
received in 1 min after phone call....
and i have other vouchers that are without the booking fee ...
weird
I know KLM charges booking fees from France- AF in France at least does not. Do you know where each was issued? Maybe that has something to do with it.
Old May 8, 2020, 9:16 am

On 4 tickets af... 2 vouchers at 100% bought on af
2missing 5 euros each... which where tickets from strasbourg to Abidjan bought on airfrance

4 vouchers from klm...
All missing like 1 euro i guess...
all from bsl..flights
Old May 8, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Wil973
I believe the rule is :
- if the flight has been cancelled by the airline, booking fees are reimbursed.
- if you cancelled a trip before it is cancelled by the airline, booking fees are not reimbursed.
Old May 8, 2020, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I believe the rule is :
- if you cancelled a trip before it is cancelled by the airline, booking fees are not reimbursed.
i really dont know....
My friends flight that i paid to abidjan...
Cancelled by af.... the 2 vouchers i received refundable after 1 year is -5 euros of what i paid...
742 paid received 737

Last edited by Wil973; May 8, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Old May 9, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: FB Ultimate - BA EC - LH M&M - Accor All Gold
I believe the rule is :
For the moment I got 5 vouchers for AF or KL fligths, all cancelled by the airline.
For the ones booked on airfrance.FR the booking fees were not reimbursed.
For the ones booked on airfrance.ES, there was no booking fees, then full paid price reimbursed.

I asked the platinum line whether they could waive the fees considering that they don't respect the law when they refuse refunding cancelled flights. Categorical NO.
Old May 9, 2020, 5:20 am

Programs: FB
I believe the rule is :
I had a flight cancelled by KL, voucher received minus EUR10 booking fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.