Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by fifty_two
Wait again for two/three more weeks , as this process can take time .

Meanwhile keep track of all emails or messages sent with the dates and contact the DoT and amex if no changes by end of may .

Only way to make them work fast is threat
It does seem to be a long wait. After many calls, I got KLM to agree to refund my two tickets from IAD-AMS. That was April 12. I called this evening (May 6) and they said it should be a couple more weeks. Time to dispute the charge?
Old May 7, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I would suggest so - they have 7 days by law, that would have been the 19th. This is an automatable process, it was their choice to not automate it, so the argument of workload is BS.
Old May 7, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Just received this email from AF-KLM:

The outbreak of the coronavirus has led to significant impacts on all industries, the aviation industry is facing major challenges with unforeseen consequences right now. Unfortunately, as you experienced, many of our flights are cancelled.
We are doing everything possible to assist our customers in rearranging their travel plans. Given the exceptional circumstances, we will issue your refund request by a voucher in the amount of your original ticket price, to use as payment for future KLM, Air France, Delta Air Lines or Virgin Atlantic flights.

How to use a voucher
You will receive your KLM voucher as soon as possible. Please keep in mind this could take at least two weeks. The voucher should be redeemed within 12 months of your original departure date.
Going to have to contact my credit card company at this point to see what they advise. The point of sale for the ticket was Japan, so I have no idea what differentiates Japan from the US or EU with regards to situations like this.
Old May 7, 2020, 6:57 am

Nothing does.- EU law is applicable, so you're entitled to a refund. Simple as that.
smartytravel likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: FB Gold
I just received the email with a voucher for the value of my trip (intra-EU planned over Easter holidays, purchased on AF France). Processing time : 7 weeks since I submitted it in mid March.

I'll cancel the dispute with AMEX. Took a little long, honestly.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by mfkne
Nothing does.- EU law is applicable, so you're entitled to a refund. Simple as that.
Thank you for the guidance.

I figured, I might have one shot to visit Europe this year in late October for Paris Games Week, but that was just cancelled today, so I literally have zero reasons to visit Europe at the moment.

Should I contact KLM again or just go through my credit card?
Old May 7, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
It seems there might be some sort of problem receiving these vouchers now. Perhaps so many are being generated that they're being flagged as spam.

I chased up an outstanding request today and was told that the voucher was emailed to me on 24 April. I never received it. Agent tried resending it and it still didn't get through (not in inbox, not in spam folder). I eventually had to give an alternative email address.

Interestingly, the voucher was also in the 'wrong' currency - EUR voucher for a GBP booking. The exchange rate looked about right, but I'm not sure if it's now KLM policy to covert all amounts through EUR before issuing a voucher.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Entitled by law, yes. However, not the case in practice. Ample discussion on this forum about why this is happening.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by SouthWesterner
It seems there might be some sort of problem receiving these vouchers now. Perhaps so many are being generated that they're being flagged as spam.

I chased up an outstanding request today and was told that the voucher was emailed to me on 24 April. I never received it. Agent tried resending it and it still didn't get through (not in inbox, not in spam folder). I eventually had to give an alternative email address.

Interestingly, the voucher was also in the 'wrong' currency - EUR voucher for a GBP booking. The exchange rate looked about right, but I'm not sure if it's now KLM policy to covert all amounts through EUR before issuing a voucher.
KLM will issue vouchers in Euro. I would reach out to them on Twitter (they are fast) but I am pretty sure that is their standard practice.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Thank you for the guidance.

I figured, I might have one shot to visit Europe this year in late October for Paris Games Week, but that was just cancelled today, so I literally have zero reasons to visit Europe at the moment.

Should I contact KLM again or just go through my credit card?
Where is your credit card issued? If North America you have a chance of a chargeback. If Europe, forget it. Not sure about Japan.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
KLM will issue vouchers in Euro. I would reach out to them on Twitter (they are fast) but I am pretty sure that is their standard practice.
I've previously had them in GBP for bookings paid in GBP. I might go back and ask for it to be reissued. Tempted just to leave it though as I will probably make ex-EU bookings again in the future and the exchange rate might move in my favour!
Old May 7, 2020, 11:57 am

Entitled by law, yes. However, not the case in practice. Ample discussion on this forum about why this is happening.
Yes, hence the advice to initiate a chargeback.

Where is your credit card issued? If North America you have a chance of a chargeback. If Europe, forget it. Not sure about Japan.
Not so fast about Europe - my Dutch AMEX accepted a chargeback within 5 days.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
I also got a chargeback with a european credit card (not amex and not related to AFKL)
Old May 7, 2020, 1:00 pm

Yes, hence the advice to initiate a chargeback.

Not so fast about Europe - my Dutch AMEX accepted a chargeback within 5 days.
Wow. Well the practices may be different. I do know that Amex NL has rejected claims against AF/KLM as they are buddies, ahem, partners :-)

In France and in Italy where I have cards neither Amex would accept a dispute.

I'm not an attorney but in the AF forum a few people mentioned that in France the mechanism for MC/Visa only works in cases of fraud/fraudulent use... otherwise they tell you to deal with the merchant.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by miles_collector
I also got a chargeback with a european credit card (not amex and not related to AFKL)
That's great to hear. No such luck here in France. What country was the card issued in if I might ask?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.