Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
KLM continues to sink to new lows. Very disappointing given I have been relatively happen with them in the air and on the ground the last couple of years.

I've got two flights with WestJet segments on them. Notwithstanding KLM playing games with cancelling their own flights, WestJet has canceled the segments on these two itineraries. However, after hours of going back and forth with Amex Travel (will never make the mistake of booking with them again), they tell me that they have confirmation from Westjet that the flights will not operate, but as they were sold on KLM ticket stock with KLM flight numbers, they can't process any refund until KLM acknowledges the cancellations and updates in their system (and despite talking with KLM there is no timeline for that).
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:16 pm

I just cancelled a refundable booking using the form online and checked the box for refund under ticketing conditions. I received an email back with a simple statement that they were experiencing delays and with no acknowledgement of my cancellation or refund request. The booking stills shows as active. Should I assume I am in a queue or should I be doing something more proactive?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: Flying blue
Angry KLM increasing flight prices when rebooking flights

Hey! Careful when rebooking the flights, KLM is tripling the normal prices when you rebook to make you pay the fare difference which ends up being the price of a new flight!

I tried to rebook and the new flight was USD 900, I check the same flight in incognito window at it was only $450!!

So blatantly outrageous that I wont be returning to fly with KLM/AirFrance once this is dealt with.

I have a photo of the same, but logged in to say this and the site wont let me post URLs.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Can I rebook for later at the SAME PRICE?

I booked a RT biz-class ticket SFO-(CDG)-MAD directly with AF last fall for a really sweet price. Travel date is mid-April. I anticipate AF will cancel some or all of my flights, not that I'd want to go to Spain in the middle of a country-wide shut-down.

This is what AF's website says about rebookings:

"If you have purchased a ticket for a flight departing before 31 May 2020, you have until 30 September 2020 to postpone your departure date without change fees. Your new trip must begin no later than 30 November 2020 included."

I am totally fine with rebooking for a later date (like fall) in 2020 when the crisis is likely to die down. But the above language seems to leave to door open to being rebooked at CURRENT (not my sweet sale ticket price). Any experience whether AF rebooks to a later date without an additional fare (aka an "add-collect")?

I had a $350 rt coach fare SAN-PEK booked on Delta for travel in February. Delta rebooked me for no price change to mid-May, but that is beginning to look a little doubtful now that China imposed a mandatory 14-day isolation requirement for arriving passengers.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
From AgentConnect:

In the case of canceled flights or denied boarding passengers, accommodation, meals and transfer costs are no longer covered by AF and KL, except for PRM and UMNR customers and/or very sensitive situations.

Customer claims will be handled in aftersales on a case by case basis.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:13 am

I thought that at the moment only bookings with departure by 31 May were eligible for refund/voucher?

I'm very surprised to see this in my booking for October/November:

Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
It is a much more customer friendly that LH stingy approach to give a voucher that needs to be redeemed by 01JUN for travel by 31DEC. AFKL is far from perfect but they seem to be handling the situation much better than LH.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Executive club
So do I have this correct that KLM can cancel a flight and then not refund you?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ranskis
You should be able to see it in Matrix if you uncheck the box "Only show flights and prices with available seats", then a flight that is J0Y0 but not cancelled should show up at the lowest price that is theoretically possible, had all the booking classes been wide open.
So for my AF flight to BKK on 30/03 and back from Singapore on 13/04 Matrix is showing fares only if the box is unchecked. Does this mean they are likely to be cancelled (i'm expecting so) or something else? In manage booking all the flights are shown as operating.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulN
So for my AF flight to BKK on 30/03 and back from Singapore on 13/04 Matrix is showing fares only if the box is unchecked. Does this mean they are likely to be cancelled (i'm expecting so) or something else? In manage booking all the flights are shown as operating.
It is highly probable that it will be cancelled but there is no certainty at this stage. For LHR-CDG, for instance, AF had zeroed out inventory on all but one flight daily until early May even if they, in fact, have been running 3 flights a day in the past few days. You are probably better off to sit and wait albeit in the expectation that it will in all likelihood end up cancelled.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
It is highly probable that it will be cancelled but there is no certainty at this stage. For LHR-CDG, for instance, AF had zeroed out inventory on all but one flight daily until early May even if they, in fact, have been running 3 flights a day in the past few days. You are probably better off to sit and wait albeit in the expectation that it will in all likelihood end up cancelled.
Thanks Nick. We're obviously not going to travel so I'm happy to wait until the last minute to see what happens if it makes a difference between refund and voucher. We have LON-CDG-BKK/SIN-CDG/LON so I will be amazed if all of them survive.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulN
Thanks Nick. We're obviously not going to travel so I'm happy to wait until the last minute to see what happens if it makes a difference between refund and voucher. We have LON-CDG-BKK/SIN-CDG/LON so I will be amazed if all of them survive.
Yes, I am in the same boat with some reservations for April. I will wait until they cancel them, which is bound to happen at some point.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: FB Gold
I thought AF was offering refunds for flights thru 31 May, assuming you didn't buy a Light Eco fare. So why wait for an official flight cancellation ?

I had a ticket over Easter and just applied for a full refund; no need to wait for AF to officially cancel anything. Will prob take a few weeks to get it back on my carte bancaire (like my airbnb) but since its 100% cash back I see no reason to hesistate.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:59 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by NickB
Yes, I am in the same boat with some reservations for April. I will wait until they cancel them, which is bound to happen at some point.
[MENTION=1757]NickB[/MENTION]

I am also in the same position, due on KL LHR-AMS-BKK on 4 April and return on 13 April, all in economy class. For the past 4 days the LHR-AMS has been cancelled. But KL are not yet showing the schedule two weeks in advance. Like some others here I am hoping for a cancelled flight so I can get a refund. A voucher is no good for me as I do not have another chance to take a holiday in along time.

What is the approach to take with KL? Wait and hope for KL issue send a flight cancellation email/text, then telephone KL for the refund process? Is it know if KL wait until 48 or 24 hours before departure to cancel so that it becomes very difficult to contact KL before departure time to get a refund. Would like to know how best to get a refund other that is 800 I cannot get back - that is a lot for me.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlin32
I thought AF was offering refunds for flights thru 31 May, assuming you didn't buy a Light Eco fare.
When and where has this been announced? This is not the policy which is indicated on their website. On the website, it says that you are entitled to a travel voucher in this situation rather than a refund.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.