Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
URL to information: https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/news/coronavirus-updates

Update 16/4/20

At this stage measurements which have been taken are for status maintain only. We are well aware that customers can also be impacted by less chance for an upgrade and/or reduced opportunities to carry over XP to the next year. We are constantly monitoring the evolution of the situation and are adjusting our policies accordingly. Should there be additional measures to compensate those impacts too, we will let our Flying Blue members know as soon as possible.
Update 15/4/20

In challenging times like today, travelling has become more difficult due to reasons beyond your control. In these trying times, we want to remove any uncertainty you may have about your Flying Blue Elite level.

We have put the following actions in place:

- We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
- We will prevent all Miles from expiring between now and the end of 2020 for all our Explorer members.
From the Q&A that will be shared later today:

2. Will I keep my current level in my next qualification period?
In case your qualification period ends between March 2020 and February 2021, you will keep your current level even if you don’t reach the XP objective. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

3. When will I see this XP measure in my online account?
Not until the first day in your new qualification period will you see in your online account that your current level is maintained. In your activity overview, you’ll find either ‘XP offered by Flying Blue’ with the number of XP that are credited to reach the XP objective, or ‘Counter offset’ with the XP objective deducted from your counter. A new card will be sent to you before your current card expires. The validity date of your digital card will be updated at the end of your current qualification period.

4. I want to upgrade to a higher level. Will I also be compensated?
Our measures enable Elite members to maintain their current level. It is not applicable for members who wish to upgrade to a higher level.

5. Will I keep my current XP balance in my next qualification period?
We will automatically offset the number of XP needed to maintain or upgrade a level. Any surplus XP will remain on your account. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

6. What will happen to my years counting towards Platinum for life?
If you keep your current level during your next qualification period based on our special measures that membership year will count towards the 10 consecutive years needed to qualify for Platinum for life. For example:

· You have been a Platinum member for 9 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained and reach 10 consecutive years of Platinum. On 1 January 2021, your new qualificaiton period starts and on 1 April 2021, we will change your level to Platinum for life.
· You have been a Platinum member for 7 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained. On 1 January 2021, your 8th consecutive year of Platinum will start.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: status extensions confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: FB Gold, Sixt Gold
Just had an email from AF, it's in German so I won't copy it onto here. For Flying Blue it mentions any miles due to expire in the coming months will be extended till the end of 2020.

No other word on status as yet
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
And who says it won't be?
It's already too late for that. Folks with year ending in March have been "processed", unless the extension goes retroactive. Hopefully not too many had big trips scheduled in last month of period to maintain, or even worse, increase their status.

I was hoping to fly at least a roundtrip in May to get myself over the lowered threshold, doesn't seem likely anymore. We'll see what they come up with by end of April, if anything, then I will consider whether I will send a message to them with my disproportional Q2 of both 2018 and 2019. If they still don't come up with a solution for me, I guess it's going to be bye bye SkyTeam.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
Originally Posted by Reload
Just had an email from AF, it's in German so I won't copy it onto here. For Flying Blue it mentions any miles due to expire in the coming months will be extended till the end of 2020.

No other word on status as yet

Received the english version:

Dear valued customer,

I sincerely hope that this message finds you and your loved ones well and in good health.

We are currently facing an unprecedented situation and we must all, each in our own way, take the necessary steps to limit the spread of the Covid-19 virus.

Since 14 March, we have been concentrating our efforts on repatriating those of you who were stranded far from home.
To date, more than 240,000 people have been able to return home on our flights from 82 countries, including close to 130,000 French nationals repatriated in close coordination with the French Ministry of Transport and Foreign Affairs.

In line with the decisions taken by the authorities of countries worldwide, we are now forced to take the unprecedented decision to suspend almost all of our flights.
However, for those of you who have no choice but to travel, we have decided to maintain a certain number of flights between Paris-Charles de Gaulle and a few destinations in France and abroad.
This minimum flight schedule may be modified at any time depending on the regulatory measures taken by each country and is available in real time on our website airfrance.com.

Following the closure of Paris-Orly airport on 31 March, we have concentrated all our operations to and from Paris-Charles de Gaulle.
Our downtown and airport ticket offices as well as our lounges will remain closed for the time being.

As you know, the safety of our flights, our customers and our staff has always been our priority.

Since the outbreak of Covid-19, we have implemented additional and more stringent cleaning and disinfection measures, both on the ground and on board.
Our check-in and boarding areas have been modified to take into account the required social distancing.
On all our flights, in all our travel cabins, we have adapted and simplified our service to limit interaction and contact as much as possible.

Finally, we have extended the date for postponing your trip at no extra cost until 30 November 2020. For members of our Flying Blue frequent flyer programme, we have already maintained the validity of Miles that may expire in the coming months until the end of 2020.
These special measures are intended to minimize any inconvenience caused by this crisis.

Please rest assured that we are doing everything possible to keep you clearly informed about the day-to-day development of this situation.

This unprecedented situation is also having an impact on the lives of our colleagues, who nevertheless remain fully committed to providing you with the best possible support.

Since its creation in 1933, Air France has always flown the French flag with immense pride throughout the world.
On behalf of all of us here at Air France, I would like to emphasize to each and every one of you just how determined we are to welcome you back on board in the coming days, weeks and months.

More than ever before, take good care of yourself and your loved ones.
With my warmest regards,

Anne Rigail
Chief Executive Officer
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:44 am

I need to 130xp maintain to flying blue plat until april 2020
but my all of the business trip canceled davos forum 2020 in barcelona
also this year march amsterdam , beijing business trip canceled
if FB downgrade my plat tier i will move to another alliance
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: FB Gold
Forgive me if I missed this earlier in the thread, but I just saw this bit on the Flying Blue website:
  • We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
It's on their Covid-19 page here: https://www.flyingblue.fr/en/news/coronavirus-updates
If I read that right, it looks like most everyone will be getting a one year status extension... Hopefully they'll be an email communication too if that's the case.
Gajan, canadavid and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by CanuckInParis
Forgive me if I missed this earlier in the thread, but I just saw this bit on the Flying Blue website:
  • We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
It's on their Covid-19 page here: https://www.flyingblue.fr/en/news/coronavirus-updates
If I read that right, it looks like most everyone will be getting a one year status extension... Hopefully they'll be an email communication too if that's the case.
It is funny that when you change the language of the website from English to French/Spanish/Portuguese etc..., it is then the « 25% for March April may » version which is displayed.
Works for all countries.
Maybe English version just got updated ?

Last edited by canadavid; Apr 14, 2020 at 10:53 am
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Flying Blue at its inconsistent best...
CanuckInParis likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Absolutely no info about Ultimate members

I am not that worried as I already have 1660 UXP and will probably end up the year with 2200/2400 UXP
However, I find it surprising that there is no communication from FB

As a comparison, I am Diamond ALL member and they have been quite reactive to adjust spend requirements to maintain status.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by matmatlr
Absolutely no info about Ultimate members
I'd expect more information regarding the qualification for Ultimate members later in the year. Currently there is no pressing need to address this at this time yet (as the membership year is based on 2 full calendar years), while in contrast to regular members they can have a rolling membership year which requires action now.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Gajan
I'd expect more information regarding the qualification for Ultimate members later in the year. Currently there is no pressing need to address this at this time yet (as the membership year is based on 2 full calendar years), while in contrast to regular members they can have a rolling membership year which requires action now.
Makes sense
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus
"The Travelers Club", which is a French travel blog that posts information on the industry, has just posted an exclusive article claiming Flying Blue will announce a 12-month status extension tomorrow.

They don't say where they're getting this information from so I would take this with a pinch a handful of salt, but here's the link to the article: https://thetravelersclub.boardingare...e-ses-membres/

Fantastic news if this pans out!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
It seems unclear if they will still deduct the XP if you reach the threshold. I was planning to keep building up a rollover of XPs this year while now I will probably roll over very few XPs and have the 300XP I've accumulated in the last few years reduced to 0.

Delta announced that any qualifying miles earned would be rolled over for the next qualification period.
vinnyc likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by Mirk
It seems unclear if they will still deduct the XP if you reach the threshold. I was planning to keep building up a rollover of XPs this year while now I will probably roll over very few XPs and have the 300XP I've accumulated in the last few years reduced to 0.

Delta announced that any qualifying miles earned would be rolled over for the next qualification period.
From my understanding of the English version online, they will proceed with « Air adjustment » or « XP offered » to maintain your status if you did not succeed. Only those with more than 300xp in bank will get rollover (in case of platinum status).
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by canadavid
From my understanding of the English version online, they will proceed with « Air adjustment » or « XP offered » to maintain your status if you did not succeed. Only those with more than 300xp in bank will get rollover (in case of platinum status).
Thank you so much for this.
I hope this isn't right (but I fear you are right!) -- this would treat the same the passenger who actually did give their business to AF for these months when AF flew, the same as a passenger who didn't fly AF at all. To be clear, I don't think a usually frequent flyer w status should get dinged. But I have 240 xp in the bank rn, and in all likelyhood, I'll pass 300xp --- and I really would find it unfair that no distinction be made for actually having improved AF's bottomline versus not having done so.

Not to mention: rn, if what you are surmising turns out to be correct, I have zero incentive to actually fly Air France for the rest of the year...
vinnyc and The doomed like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canadavid
I don't see such wording from the English version online but if that was confirmed, I would be very gutted.
I'm currently aiming for the lifetime platinum status and my plan was to make sure that I accumulate a big enough rollover to ride through any period with less flying.

Seems a bit unfair that those who have flown the most in the last few years and/or will fly a lot when things resume, will not receive any help while those who have flown the less and/or will not help for the recovery are getting helped.

Gajan if you can get FB attention over this or get a clarification it would be great.
vinnyc and saraoutou like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.