Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
URL to information: https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/news/coronavirus-updates

Update 16/4/20

At this stage measurements which have been taken are for status maintain only. We are well aware that customers can also be impacted by less chance for an upgrade and/or reduced opportunities to carry over XP to the next year. We are constantly monitoring the evolution of the situation and are adjusting our policies accordingly. Should there be additional measures to compensate those impacts too, we will let our Flying Blue members know as soon as possible.
Update 15/4/20

In challenging times like today, travelling has become more difficult due to reasons beyond your control. In these trying times, we want to remove any uncertainty you may have about your Flying Blue Elite level.

We have put the following actions in place:

- We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
- We will prevent all Miles from expiring between now and the end of 2020 for all our Explorer members.
From the Q&A that will be shared later today:

2. Will I keep my current level in my next qualification period?
In case your qualification period ends between March 2020 and February 2021, you will keep your current level even if you don’t reach the XP objective. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

3. When will I see this XP measure in my online account?
Not until the first day in your new qualification period will you see in your online account that your current level is maintained. In your activity overview, you’ll find either ‘XP offered by Flying Blue’ with the number of XP that are credited to reach the XP objective, or ‘Counter offset’ with the XP objective deducted from your counter. A new card will be sent to you before your current card expires. The validity date of your digital card will be updated at the end of your current qualification period.

4. I want to upgrade to a higher level. Will I also be compensated?
Our measures enable Elite members to maintain their current level. It is not applicable for members who wish to upgrade to a higher level.

5. Will I keep my current XP balance in my next qualification period?
We will automatically offset the number of XP needed to maintain or upgrade a level. Any surplus XP will remain on your account. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

6. What will happen to my years counting towards Platinum for life?
If you keep your current level during your next qualification period based on our special measures that membership year will count towards the 10 consecutive years needed to qualify for Platinum for life. For example:

· You have been a Platinum member for 9 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained and reach 10 consecutive years of Platinum. On 1 January 2021, your new qualificaiton period starts and on 1 April 2021, we will change your level to Platinum for life.
· You have been a Platinum member for 7 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained. On 1 January 2021, your 8th consecutive year of Platinum will start.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: status extensions confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:50 am

Does this mean that only 225 XP is required for upgrading from gold to platinum? Or is this only for maintaining status?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Originally Posted by mikem004
For expiry dates in March, April or May 2020 the qualification levels are:
• Silver: 75 XP
• Gold: 135 XP
• Platinum: 225 XP
Where is that from?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:22 am

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/03/16/...on-thresholds/
Carel1 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I did not make it the last year.... and I am certainly not going to make it this year.. I am actually a bit worried where to spend the vouchers on... My work has vaporized and it will not magically come back... this year...
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Email received today from Flying Blue.
==========================
Dear Mr xxxx,

In challenging times like today, travelling has become more difficult due to reasons beyond your control. We believe special circumstances call for special measures.

Here are the actions we have put in motion:

All current Silver, Gold and Platinum members with a qualification period ending in March, April or May 2020 will benefit from a lowered XP objective to reach. Consequently, the new required XP amounts to maintain your level are:

• Silver: 75 XP
• Gold: 135 XP
• Platinum: 225 XP

If you have already reached these new targets, your status will be maintained.

You may notice your XP objective is remaining unchanged in your online account. It will be automatically updated at the end of your current qualification period.

In addition, whether you plan on travelling now or in the future, we want you to enjoy the Miles you have earned. We will therefore prevent all Miles from expiring between now and the end of 2020.

Since the situation is still evolving, we will keep on monitoring it closely to keep supporting you in the best possible way.

Yours sincerely,

Frédéric Kahane
SVP Customer Loyalty
===============
irishguy28 and rickg523 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:21 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Loualex1399
Does this mean that only 225 XP is required for upgrading from gold to platinum? Or is this only for maintaining status?
From what I read, this only applies for re qualification. I'll verify to be 100% sure.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Gajan
From what I read, this only applies for re qualification. I'll verify to be 100% sure.
Confirmed, only for re qualification.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by Gajan
Confirmed, only for re qualification.
Thank you Gajan.

Does this also mean that, should you requalify at those lower thresholds, any rollover XPs would be over the lower thresholds as well?

Example: I am already a Platinum and reached 350XP, therefore, I maintain my Platinum status (because I reached 225XP), and I will rollover 125XP (i.e. 350XP minus 225XP)? Or will I rollover 50XP?

Thanks!
vinnyc
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Re: Recent Flying Blue coms about adjusting XP requirements for folks with an imminent qualification anniversary.

there is something a bit surprising with making such a strong distinction in adjusting xp levels for folks who have their qualification anniversary in the coming 3 months, versus everybody else.

I totally understand that folks who have their qualification anniversary in the near term may be ~completely blocked~ from making it, but it's not like everybody else is not also impacted in their travel. I mean, say that we have 3 months of no travel. My qualification anniversary is Dec 31 -- But over the past rolling 12 months period, I only had 9 months to travel. The same as ... everybody else. It will still be just as hard to make status with the same requirements when you only have 75 percent of the time to hit goal.

Necessary disclaimer for the folks who like to comment "oh wow, such priorities": I am not bringing this up because I think this is a Huge Problem (tm). Absolutely a first-world problem if there ever was. I am bringing this up because the topic of this forum is airline frequent flyer programs. </disclaimer>
rodalvas and MileageRunner68 like this.

Last edited by gaukuser; Mar 17, 2020 at 3:00 pm Reason: clarification
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaukuser
Re: Recent Flying Blue coms about adjusting XP requirements for folks with an imminent qualification anniversary.

there is something a bit surprising with making such a strong distinction in adjusting xp levels for folks who have their qualification anniversary in the coming 3 months, versus everybody else.

I totally understand that folks who have their qualification anniversary in the near term may be ~completely blocked~ from making it, but it's not like everybody else is not also impacted in their travel. I mean, say that we have 3 months of no travel. My qualification anniversary is Dec 31 -- But over the past rolling 12 months period, I only had 9 months to travel. The same as ... everybody else. It will still be just as hard to make status with the same requirements when you only have 75 percent of the time to hit goal.

Necessary disclaimer for the folks who like to comment "oh wow, such priorities": I am not bringing this up because I think this is a Huge Problem (tm). Absolutely a first-world problem if there ever was. I am bringing this up because the topic of this forum is airline frequent flyer programs. </disclaimer>
As indicated in Gajan's post #25 above, this is an immediate measure for people whose status is to expire shortly. It does not prejudge of what FB will do for individuals whose qualifying year ends later in the year. As they say in that message, they "will continue to monitor the situation closely as it evolves" and "similar or further actions will be taken in the months beyond May 2020."
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Thanks NickB -- Yeah, I did see this. But I guess my point (which could have benefited from being clearer) is that the time lost is already lost for all, the same for all. I mean, even someone whose anniversary year is in February (the most lead time you could have relative to the beginning of this crisis). So the distinction already feels moot. Why the two stepped approach here? Say it's 25 percent off (ha!) for everyone. Say it may possibly be revised up if the crisis extends into M Month...
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:51 am

There is not much point in making a decision now for PAX with a qualification year that only ends 3+ months from now, if this continues for longer they might want to implement more drastic reductions, if however this all goes away in April/May they might just implement 25% for everyone or so.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Given my year ends in June, definitely watching closely to see what is next. Am already over the 300XP but it will be a lot harder to requalify for my next year given travel restrictions, so a larger carry-over would be very welcome... (I was expecting to be commuting between Tokyo and Seoul on KE).
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Another interesting possibility could be actually giving some XPs instead of lowering the levels. There could be an algorithm that would determine the number of XPs based on how many XPs you collected in the previous year.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by vinnyc
Thank you Gajan.

Does this also mean that, should you requalify at those lower thresholds, any rollover XPs would be over the lower thresholds as well?

Example: I am already a Platinum and reached 350XP, therefore, I maintain my Platinum status (because I reached 225XP), and I will rollover 125XP (i.e. 350XP minus 225XP)? Or will I rollover 50XP?

Thanks!
vinnyc
From Flying Blue:

No the reduction is only to support people to maintain status. This does not increase rollover XP so in case of vinnyc rollover will be 50 XP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.