Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
URL to information: https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/news/coronavirus-updates

Update 16/4/20

At this stage measurements which have been taken are for status maintain only. We are well aware that customers can also be impacted by less chance for an upgrade and/or reduced opportunities to carry over XP to the next year. We are constantly monitoring the evolution of the situation and are adjusting our policies accordingly. Should there be additional measures to compensate those impacts too, we will let our Flying Blue members know as soon as possible.
Update 15/4/20

In challenging times like today, travelling has become more difficult due to reasons beyond your control. In these trying times, we want to remove any uncertainty you may have about your Flying Blue Elite level.

We have put the following actions in place:

- We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
- We will prevent all Miles from expiring between now and the end of 2020 for all our Explorer members.
From the Q&A that will be shared later today:

2. Will I keep my current level in my next qualification period?
In case your qualification period ends between March 2020 and February 2021, you will keep your current level even if you don’t reach the XP objective. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

3. When will I see this XP measure in my online account?
Not until the first day in your new qualification period will you see in your online account that your current level is maintained. In your activity overview, you’ll find either ‘XP offered by Flying Blue’ with the number of XP that are credited to reach the XP objective, or ‘Counter offset’ with the XP objective deducted from your counter. A new card will be sent to you before your current card expires. The validity date of your digital card will be updated at the end of your current qualification period.

4. I want to upgrade to a higher level. Will I also be compensated?
Our measures enable Elite members to maintain their current level. It is not applicable for members who wish to upgrade to a higher level.

5. Will I keep my current XP balance in my next qualification period?
We will automatically offset the number of XP needed to maintain or upgrade a level. Any surplus XP will remain on your account. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

6. What will happen to my years counting towards Platinum for life?
If you keep your current level during your next qualification period based on our special measures that membership year will count towards the 10 consecutive years needed to qualify for Platinum for life. For example:

· You have been a Platinum member for 9 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained and reach 10 consecutive years of Platinum. On 1 January 2021, your new qualificaiton period starts and on 1 April 2021, we will change your level to Platinum for life.
· You have been a Platinum member for 7 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained. On 1 January 2021, your 8th consecutive year of Platinum will start.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: status extensions confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
Originally Posted by maalloc
If you are already Plat, then yes.
If you are Gold and chasing for Plat, you'll be out ouf luck since your Gold XP will be deducted and you will just be left with the remaining points.
Contacted FB about this point exactly. I'm Gold chasing Plat and made it half way in the first months of the year. They said to contact them near the end of your qualifying period and they will do a case by case approach to see who gets the upgrade and who doesn't.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 7:22 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Due to AF/KL giving double XP and Miles for flights up to the end of 2020, do you think that FB will not revisit the XP deduction/status extension situation?

Yesterday MH (FB partner for earning) cancelled my Dec 2020 and Jan 2021 flights, so my winter holiday has been cancelled (booked at the start of 2020). During 2020 all of my flights/holidays (all on SkyTeam airlines) have been cancelled, which were all booked before the worldwide travel lockdown occurred. Due to my work schedule I cannot take short-notice trips (hence why I book annual trips at the start of each year).

I am one of the unfortunate FB Platinum members, in that I started 2020 with more than 300 XP (632 XP to be precise) and my last flight (BKK-CDG 36 XP and CDG-LHR 15 XP) was on 1st Jan 2020 returning home from my winter holiday. So I currently have 683 XP. My pre-booked 2020 holidays would have earnt me 289 XP, to end the year with 972 XP (and I would have earnt a further 51 XP in Jan 2021). However, I will be deducted 300 XP on 31 Dec 2020 to start 2021 with 383 XP. I have no idea when/if countries I want to visit will re-open their borders to tourists in early 2021 so I expect 2021 will have a minimal (none) amount of flying.

I do not want to open up an old debate about the definitions of status extension to all that FB have used etc. But rather, as 2020 progresses and flying has not picked up a fast as many had wished for, is it possible that FB will revisit the annual XP deduction? Not everybody benefits from the XP top-up to maintain their current status for a further year if they did not have a rollover of excess XP nor can (want) to fly during the current restrictions to use the dounble XP offer.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
siw

Everything is possible of course, but I would not hold by breath waiting for another XP threshold easing.

Given the timing of the promotional offer, it looks like their goal is to put as many people on their planes, as fast as possible.
Double XPs are tempting and some customers will probably make opportunistic flights if their schedule allows. In this case, mission accomplished. Better sell tickets now and hand out XPs than fly empty planes(*).

I highly doubt that pleasing customers who felt that the pseudo status extensions are unfair is today's priority.

(*) Besides, as others have already mentioned, they have plenty of time to tighten XP rules down the road in case they think they were too generous during S2 2020. What about silently cancelling XP rollover in 2021? All those who went for XP runs these days would be royally screwed.

Last edited by maalloc; Jul 31, 2020 at 8:44 am
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:40 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
siw, you say that you start 2021 with 383 XP, so you will have Platinum status until early 2023 without sitting in any Skyteam plane. what is the problem, or why should they further incentivize you for not flying? deduct only 200 XP so that you have Platinum status until 2025 without further flying? As mentioned above, they need to get customers flying and earn money, so they need to incentivize people getting into a plane not extending status further down the road.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I must say, I am rather counting on Platinum renewal on 1st November without having collected the requisite XPs. That's what they said they would do, and I don't think they have revoked it.
But, with respect to the double XPs promotion, I do remember clearly reading that Air France reserves the right to alter the dates of the promotion, which means they could shorten it, or extend it. I personally think it would be plausible to expect a reduced threshold next year, in 2021, because this situation won't have completely gone away by then (let's face it, they're going to feel the financial knock on effect for a long time).
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
I personally think it would be plausible to expect a reduced threshold next year, in 2021, because this situation won't have completely gone away by then (let's face it, they're going to feel the financial knock on effect for a long time).
True, yet extending status openly would definitely not encourage people to get back on planes.
In hindsight, I find their decision to offer "crappy" reward to frequent flyers who already have their XP and at the same time offering a ridiculously generous XP bonus for a few months is extremely well played.
The risk of losing one's status in 2021 after having enjoyed zero commercial gesture in 2020 is a strong motivation to travel a few legs before december!
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by maalloc
The risk of losing one's status in 2021 after having enjoyed zero commercial gesture in 2020 is a strong motivation to travel a few legs before december!
No one will loose his status in 2021 whether you have required XP or not.
Seen by me the promotional aims either at increasing your roll-over XP stock, or trying to reach an higher status if you miss just a few as people won’t fly that much anyway.
I guess it’s a way to try to satisfy roll-over Platinums.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Tro78
No one will loose his status in 2021 whether you have required XP or not.
Last time I checked (source), auto-renewal will only be enforced until februrary 2021.
So all FB members who have their anniversary between march 2021 and december 2021 can lose their status.

And it's very likely that many will, since most people won't fly much in 2020 anyway. Not all travelers had 2 years worth of XP-buffer in January

Last edited by maalloc; Jul 31, 2020 at 10:33 am
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:16 pm
siw

Originally Posted by gkl
siw, you say that you start 2021 with 383 XP, so you will have Platinum status until early 2023 without sitting in any Skyteam plane. what is the problem, or why should they further incentivize you for not flying? deduct only 200 XP so that you have Platinum status until 2025 without further flying? As mentioned above, they need to get customers flying and earn money, so they need to incentivize people getting into a plane not extending status further down the road.
Maybe I am missing some information, but how will may status be maintained throughout all of 2022? I will start 2021 with 383 XP. If I do not fly in 2021 (which I hope is not the case but there is no certainty when the countries that I would like to have holidays in will open up again) then on 31 Dec 2021 I will be deducted 300 XP. Then I will start 2022 with 83 XP and be soft landed to Gold.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by siw
Due to AF/KL giving double XP and Miles for flights up to the end of 2020, do you think that FB will not revisit the XP deduction/status extension situation?
For the period up to 31 December 2020 - almost certainly not.

As to what they will do for next year - we will have to wait and see. However, given that AFKL will want to stimulate travel - as evidenced by the "double" offer, and the awful financial results revealed today - I find it hard to envisage that they will make much in the way of concessions for extending status beyond what they have already done - it's an incentive for many not to travel.

They may continue with offers of extra Miles/XP, though. If that is seen as stimulating (at least some) to travel.

Originally Posted by siw
I have no idea when/if countries I want to visit will re-open their borders to tourists in early 2021 so I expect 2021 will have a minimal (none) amount of flying.
I think you are far from the only one.

Originally Posted by siw
I do not want to open up an old debate about the definitions of status extension to all that FB have used etc. But rather, as 2020 progresses and flying has not picked up a fast as many had wished for, is it possible that FB will revisit the annual XP deduction? Not everybody benefits from the XP top-up to maintain their current status for a further year if they did not have a rollover of excess XP nor can (want) to fly during the current restrictions to use the double XP offer.
I don't think so. They made a particular decision (not to downgrade anybody's status in the current membership year); I don't think they will revisit that decision now, or the manner in which they execute it (which, in your case, would be effectively to give everyone an extra year's status for free - a subtle, but substantive! - difference).

Your preferred execution would be: to add 100/180/300XP to each Silver/Gold/Platinum account respectively on the anniversary date; but the way they're doing it, everyone starts their new year with fewer XPs, and therefore already a greater incentive to start collecting again.

2021 will hardly be back to normal, either, but I think they won't make any similar status extension. The best you could hope for, as regards further gestures, are further "bonus" Miles/XPs offers, to stimulate new bookings.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by siw
Maybe I am missing some information, but how will may status be maintained throughout all of 2022? I will start 2021 with 383 XP. If I do not fly in 2021 (which I hope is not the case but there is no certainty when the countries that I would like to have holidays in will open up again) then on 31 Dec 2021 I will be deducted 300 XP. Then I will start 2022 with 83 XP and be soft landed to Gold.
You will start 2022 with 83 XP and a Plat status that will stay valid until Dec 31st, 2022.
Looks like you are all set until 2023, when you might be soft-landed to Gold only if you don't get 217 XP in the meantime...
Old Aug 1, 2020, 1:36 am
siw

Originally Posted by irishguy28
For the period up to 31 December 2020 - almost certainly not.

As to what they will do for next year - we will have to wait and see. However, given that AFKL will want to stimulate travel - as evidenced by the "double" offer, and the awful financial results revealed today - I find it hard to envisage that they will make much in the way of concessions for extending status beyond what they have already done - it's an incentive for many not to travel.

They may continue with offers of extra Miles/XP, though. If that is seen as stimulating (at least some) to travel.

I think you are far from the only one.

I don't think so. They made a particular decision (not to downgrade anybody's status in the current membership year); I don't think they will revisit that decision now, or the manner in which they execute it (which, in your case, would be effectively to give everyone an extra year's status for free - a subtle, but substantive! - difference).

Your preferred execution would be: to add 100/180/300XP to each Silver/Gold/Platinum account respectively on the anniversary date; but the way they're doing it, everyone starts their new year with fewer XPs, and therefore already a greater incentive to start collecting again.

2021 will hardly be back to normal, either, but I think they won't make any similar status extension. The best you could hope for, as regards further gestures, are further "bonus" Miles/XPs offers, to stimulate new bookings.
Which of my years status is given for free? At the end of 2020 I will be deducted 300 XP because I started 2020 with more than 300 XP, even though all my flights have been/are already cancelled. So I will not get a status extension for 2020 for free (that only works for Platinum's who cannot reach the 300 XP threshold during 2020). Unless the rules are changed for 2021, I will be deducted 300 XP at the end of 2021. If I am unable to fly during 2021 I will have less than 300 XP and in 2022 I will be softlanded to Gold. So I do not understand what you said which I have highlighted. I made a graph of my status as an FB member (with the change from Level Miles to XP) and extended it through to the begining of 2021.

AZ112, HalconBCN and Thysk like this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by siw
Which of my years status is given for free? At the end of 2020 I will be deducted 300 XP because I started 2020 with more than 300 XP, even though all my flights have been/are already cancelled. So I will not get a status extension for 2020 for free (that only works for Platinum's who cannot reach the 300 XP threshold during 2020). Unless the rules are changed for 2021, I will be deducted 300 XP at the end of 2021. If I am unable to fly during 2021 I will have less than 300 XP and in 2022 I will be softlanded to Gold. So I do not understand what you said which I have highlighted. I made a graph of my status as an FB member (with the change from Level Miles to XP) and extended it through to the begining of 2021.
As you currently have 683 XP (assuming you don't need any qualifying trips to maintain status so long as you have sufficient XP, which I think is the case) then you'll have Platinum right up to March 2023, you won't soft land in 2022.

January 1 2021 you'll have 383 XP + 1 year Platinum
January 1 2022 you'll have 83 XP + 1 year Platinum.
January 1 2023 you'll have 0 XP and soft land to Gold (from April 2023).

Indeed you won't benefit from FB's 'generosity' to not drop members' status this year. I'm in the same situation, we just get deducted XP as usual and have the end result of having reduced our XP buffer.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 8:14 am
siw

Thanks malloc and Solevita for the replies, now I see it.

I thought that I would be dropped to Gold for 2022. I don't fly just for the sake of earning XP, I earn from the flights I take for holidays. This is is a no fly year for me. I don't expect the countries I want to visit to be open in 2021.

Solevita, I wonder what the proportion of FB Platinum members out of all Platinum members fall into our catagory of having rollover XP and thus get the annual normal deduction in this mininal/none flying year.
PeteM01 and maalloc like this.

Last edited by siw; Aug 1, 2020 at 8:36 am
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I reckon it will be a sizeable proportion. I think most of these platinum flyers really need to travel and will be on the move again. I myself am in a slightly borderline situation whereby I still need another 88XPs to qualify this year and if they offer them to me then I will be grateful. It goes without saying that engagements abroad have dried up for me, for the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.