Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
URL to information: https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/news/coronavirus-updates

Update 16/4/20

At this stage measurements which have been taken are for status maintain only. We are well aware that customers can also be impacted by less chance for an upgrade and/or reduced opportunities to carry over XP to the next year. We are constantly monitoring the evolution of the situation and are adjusting our policies accordingly. Should there be additional measures to compensate those impacts too, we will let our Flying Blue members know as soon as possible.
Update 15/4/20

In challenging times like today, travelling has become more difficult due to reasons beyond your control. In these trying times, we want to remove any uncertainty you may have about your Flying Blue Elite level.

We have put the following actions in place:

- We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
- We will prevent all Miles from expiring between now and the end of 2020 for all our Explorer members.
From the Q&A that will be shared later today:

2. Will I keep my current level in my next qualification period?
In case your qualification period ends between March 2020 and February 2021, you will keep your current level even if you don’t reach the XP objective. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

3. When will I see this XP measure in my online account?
Not until the first day in your new qualification period will you see in your online account that your current level is maintained. In your activity overview, you’ll find either ‘XP offered by Flying Blue’ with the number of XP that are credited to reach the XP objective, or ‘Counter offset’ with the XP objective deducted from your counter. A new card will be sent to you before your current card expires. The validity date of your digital card will be updated at the end of your current qualification period.

4. I want to upgrade to a higher level. Will I also be compensated?
Our measures enable Elite members to maintain their current level. It is not applicable for members who wish to upgrade to a higher level.

5. Will I keep my current XP balance in my next qualification period?
We will automatically offset the number of XP needed to maintain or upgrade a level. Any surplus XP will remain on your account. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

6. What will happen to my years counting towards Platinum for life?
If you keep your current level during your next qualification period based on our special measures that membership year will count towards the 10 consecutive years needed to qualify for Platinum for life. For example:

· You have been a Platinum member for 9 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained and reach 10 consecutive years of Platinum. On 1 January 2021, your new qualificaiton period starts and on 1 April 2021, we will change your level to Platinum for life.
· You have been a Platinum member for 7 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained. On 1 January 2021, your 8th consecutive year of Platinum will start.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: status extensions confirmed

Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
I got 300xp deducted on 1/1/2020. I have 624xp now. (Last flight 24 March 2020)

So on 1/1/2021 I will lose 300xp for renewal.
and some plat member will get ‘my’ 300xp for renewal for free and without any flying?

that is very social!

Anyone here who will expect to end up with no XP?

you can thank me for it!

🤪
vinnyc, saraoutou and AZ112 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
I got 300xp deducted on 1/1/2020. I have 624xp now. (Last flight 24 March 2020)

So on 1/1/2021 I will lose 300xp for renewal.
and some plat member will get ‘my’ 300xp for renewal for free and without any flying?

that is very social!

Anyone here who will expect to end up with no XP?

you can thank me for it!

🤪
Thank you

Men....
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
My qualification period ends in October. I only have 30 XP so I'm 150 XP short of Gold. I had to cancel a RT revenue LP ticket that would have put me over the top.

According to the FAQ in the wiki, this would be me...
· If you have gained 30 XP, we will credit the missing 150 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

While I appreciate the extension, wondering what is the incentive to fly AF or at least credit ST flying to FB until November? Any additional XP will just lower the credit that I would otherwise receive.

Am I missing something?
saraoutou and PeteM01 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by gaukuser
Ah, well you see, there's a bit that's not correct here (and this may explain why you feel the way you do): FB is _NOT_ offering extra XPs (except to Ultis, different scenarios). They are saying they will 'pardon' the shortfall of XPs for members so they maintain their current status, but they are not crediting extra XPs.
Thanks to lighten the minds.
FlyingBlue communication seems to work well because people still think the gesture from FB is pure goodwill.

The problem are :
- the communication is far from reflecting the reality, or vice versa,
- that create a real discrepancy between those who are helped with some XPs, and those who have already their status granted because they flew more on the beginning of their qualification period, and are now treated like "nothing happened but it's a real pleasure to have you among our frequent flyers".

Let's wait for more accurate info from FB.
AZ112 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by maxvor
That ignores the fact that "there is no free lunch". All the benefits enjoyed by people who didn't pay to get them come at the expense of those who did. I'm not sure how exactly that will manifest itself, but lounge cutbacks and overcrowding, extra competition for extra leg-room seats definitely come to mind right away.

Surprising, nah, that's not only airlines are allowed to optimize, but their customers too?
To give some context: I've already qualified for Gold at 208 XPs and had another 60-70 XPs lined up, with obvious intent to bring it to Platinum level. Now, with all COVID policy of KL/AF I just couldn't see why I would try: no helping hand was given to achieve Platinum easier, refund request refused, vouchers at ticket price value, many of places I need to be in second half of the year now have ticket prices at 200-300% their normal price. What is here to be loyal for?
On the other hand:
- QR gave me back my Gold status for another year after I was already downgraded to Silver. UA extended my *A Gold status for another year (and I really would have difficult time keeping it this year looking at my future itineraries)
- LOT has rebooked my heavily discounted J ticket to SIN right to Christmas time with no fare difference plus gave 30% discount for another booking
- Finnair rebooked 2 of my J tickets to the time I needed, changing origin or destination on both of them and bringing one of the legs to higher fare bucket, no upcharge
- Emirates allowed me to keep my J and F tickets open with ability to change dates / destination within same region without upcharge
In other words pretty much every other airline helped me one way or the other when I needed it. Guess how much extra I plan to spend with AF/KL now for the rest of the year, once flying starts again? Exactly zero. In fact I just received correcting amount on one of my credit cards for the chargeback requested for AF refusal to refund and I plan to do another one next week (I will try to convince them first to refund it voluntarily - that is the best gesture I can make given lack of any good gestures from them going my way)
KLM also keep your tickets. If you cancel the flights but not the booking you can rebook the flights on any other day. You can even cancel the flights and keep the booking and book new flights in the booking until October. I have had all my flights cancelled from April till June but kept the bookings.

I moved a vacation with my kids with no charge from this week to last week 07. As a tentative as now one knows what will happen. C class tickets for work I kept as we are pushing back the work as covid-19 continues.

I still have the bookings, yet flights where cancelled. To rebooked at a later date.

Discuss this with the KL agent. If you cancel the booking completely you will get a voucher and money back if not used in a year.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Yolow
- that create a real discrepancy between those who are helped with some XPs, and those who have already their status granted because they flew more on the beginning of their qualification period, and are now treated like "nothing happened but it's a real pleasure to have you among our frequent flyers".

Ahahah, lol. yeah, it's exactly that
Wil973, PeteM01 and Tonic27 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:40 pm

I dont even know how fb agreed on this ... without saying hey this isnt fair....
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
KLM also keep your tickets. If you cancel the flights but not the booking you can rebook the flights on any other day. You can even cancel the flights and keep the booking and book new flights in the booking until October. I have had all my flights cancelled from April till June but kept the bookings.

I moved a vacation with my kids with no charge from this week to last week 07. As a tentative as now one knows what will happen. C class tickets for work I kept as we are pushing back the work as covid-19 continues.

I still have the bookings, yet flights where cancelled. To rebooked at a later date.

Discuss this with the KL agent. If you cancel the booking completely you will get a voucher and money back if not used in a year.
I'm aware of that option, thank you. With danger of being a bit OT: it is unfortunately not good enough to my taste, and let me explain why. First, for both of my cancelled itineraries I had a specific reason to be at destination and now that the reason is gone, I don't plan to go there in the near future. As you could see from the spread of the airlines I had to deal with I hardly have concept of loyalty these days and select the carrier predominantly based on price / convenience basis (well, I might reconsider that going forward and dismiss certain carriers from consideration based on current experience). A voucher takes away that flexibility from me, so it's not a good substitute for cash. Now, I could consider it if there was incentive for me to do so, since I'm not in desperate need of those ~700 EUR that I seek to recover. But give me a reason please. LOT did: they offered 30% discount for next booking if I kept the ticket and money with them. Finnair did: they allowed for a reasonable rerouting in my case in form of changing origin and destination. Emirates, in my view, went above and beyond by offering great deal of flexibility. More importantly, should I still prefer cash, they all allowed for a refund. Now compare that to AF/KL. Soon I will likely have to deal with LX, will see what is possible with LH Group for comparison.
Now back to the topic. As concerning the status extension I'm in the camp of those who are absolutely not helped by AF/KL and because of that cannot be considered fully objective. There are a few jokes about how silly it is to think that this is unfair policy in current circumstances. I personally find it OK that those who didn't achieve status will be gifted it. But you should also understand the people in the other camp: not everyone is the fan of subsidizing the experience of others before being asked first.
It feels as if this policy was somewhat rushed by Flying Blue without putting enough thinking into it, just because "other programmes did something". If this is the case, FB people should really breath in and take patience. There is no rush to extend status for people whose status expires in the next few months. Hardly anyone flies this days, and with closed lounges, abandoned airports and half-empty planes what do you really need status for? Take time, think what exactly the consequences of particular policies are, do some number crunching (besides calculating what kind of bonus increase to your CEO will not piss Dutch government off), see what you want to achieve. Qatar showed that you can give status back even after downgrade. Etihad showed you can find the way to reward even people who already achieve their status (I believe they give next level status to those who are above its 80% threshold). I'm sure there are ways. The current solution, I have no idea what the goal of it is. Those who didn't achieve their current level will see little incentive flying with KL/AF once service restarts, those who did, like myself, are very likely to be alienated by the whole approach to dealing with crisis and will opt to spend their money somewhere else. As I said, not a single policy of AFKL in current COVID situation made me think "wow, looks like they also care about their customers, not only about their own interests".
Wil973 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:09 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Another benchmark: EasyJet extends the validity of easjetyPlus cards. It’s not strictly speaking an FFP in then traditional serve (you pay for the card and get the benefits immediately instead of paying for the flights which will eventually get you some benefits).
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
I'm very very disappointed with the way choosed by Fb.
I'm a Plat with a qualifying period 1/01-31/12. I've gained from 1/01/2020 296XP... it's not fair that in december a person who have flown 0 will be in the same situation of mine.
The only fair way, in my opinion, is to give at the end of qualifying period 100XP to Silver, 180XP to Gold and 300XP to Plat: all members that already have gained XP, they will "rollover" them on next qualifying year.
Am I wrong?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by AZ112
I'm a Plat with a qualifying period 1/01-31/12. I've gained from 1/01/2020 296XP... it's not fair that in december a person who have flown 0 will be in the same situation of mine.
The only fair way, in my opinion, is to give at the end of qualifying period 100XP to Silver, 180XP to Gold and 300XP to Plat: all members that already have gained XP, they will "rollover" them on next qualifying year.
Am I wrong?
Not possible as in your scenario, a gold member who got 120xp in the year (not enough to maintain status) would be upgraded to platinum.

However, I can understand that all people who had paid “300xp” for 2020 and 300xp for 2021 is a lot as we were not able to enjoy our status all year.
Maybe the real solution is:
If checkstatus.maintain=failed then credit missing XP
Else check.status.maintain=succeed then credit XP(2020)

Would everybody be happy ?

Last edited by canadavid; Apr 19, 2020 at 4:53 am Reason: Add solution
Old Apr 19, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
Originally Posted by canadavid
Not possible as in your scenario, a gold member who got 120xp in the year (not enough to maintain status) would be upgraded to platinum.

However, I can understand that all people who had paid “300xp” for 2020 and 300xp for 2021 is a lot as we were not able to enjoy our status all year.

Yes, you're right!
I hadn't calculated your scenario... as i'm already plat. But... maybe they can "hold" the current status (instead of give the related XP) and do the rollover of the XP earned this year. Exemple:
120XP earned for a Gold member in 2020 --> Gold for 2021 (instead of Silver downgrade) with 120XP "rollovered" in 2021 (as they will no miss the flown XPs of 2020).

Anyway... I hope they will think again about this hard situation. I know, it's not easy for them.

Last edited by AZ112; Apr 19, 2020 at 5:20 am
Old Apr 19, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by canadavid

Yeah, i m essentially down with your scenario (also, I see by the way you lay out your solution that we are in the same trade). Though you actually bring up an interesting point here that this proposed solution (and actually the one I did propose sometime ago) is not necessarily fair to a Silver/Gold who was shooting for a higher level and would have reached it if not for the shortfall of XPs from not travelling.
After all, I identify my shortfall of rollover XPs as being where I am being shorted, but a Gold with 200 XPs in the bank could argue, "hey, I would have made Plat this year if I could have flown the additional 3 trips I was supposed to make"

So in this respect, adding XPs to everyone's totals would indeed bump up a Silver or a Gold to possibly attain a higher level, but it's not different than my argument for wanting the extra XPs I know I would have taken home to rollover as Platinum.

Also, the method you suggest to assign a flyer to a particular outcome group has a cliff at T threshold XP level (where flyer has an XP total of T-1, she gets pardoned 1XP; Where flyer has an XP total of T+1 she banks a bunch of XPs) -- which is probably not a desirable outcome

The more I think about it, the more I feel the fairest way -- not to mention, one that still provides incentives for flyers to fly AFKL this year -- is actually to just credit some XPs and let the chip fall where they may. (1) The zero-mile flyer may not have enough from a credit of XPs to maintain, but (2) the flyer who flew 'some but not a lot' would maintain. (3) The non-Plat flyer who flew "quite a bit but not a ton" may be able to actually reach their next level. And (4) the Plat flyer, like myself, who flew "quite a bit but not a ton" would rollover a pile of XPs, as I usually do.

Of course, if AFKL wanted to be extra generous and ensure no one would drop at all, then the trick is simply to credit the number of XPs equivalent to what a flyer needs for their current level (in which case the #1 case flyers couldn't even lose their current status, while more of the #2 case flyers would become #3 case flyers.)

Last edited by gaukuser; Apr 19, 2020 at 7:37 am Reason: sd
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by AZ112
Am I wrong?
In a way you are. The point of FB is not to gift to people the XPs that they would have flown in a "normal" year, but to help those people that would otherwise lose their status because maybe they could not fly as much as usually. If you have flown enough - good for you, you re-qualify for your status. If you have not flown enough, then FB is understanding and will "give you a push" so that you can extend your status. This is not about compensating customers for gains they might have made, but to prevent the consequence of losing status from happening.

What is labelled as "unfair" here is comparing who gets a bigger push. Which is a bit disingenious when what FB is doing is not about giving the same push to everyone, but making sure everybody can keep his/her status.

Similarly I do not understand why people think that it's unfair that ULTIs get a gift of 900 UXP while other status members "only" get a push to reach the qualification threshold:
  • Plats, Golds, Silvers can be absolutely certain that they will not lose their status. If they do not have enough XPs, FB will gift the missing points so that everybody keeps their status!
  • Ultis get a pre-defined push of 900 UXPs. With that not everybody will keep their status! There are people who need to qualify with 1800 UXP until the end of this year, who had much less than 900 UXPs from last year and this year - the gift of 900 UXP will not bring them over the threshold of 1,800 UXP. Same for people who need to qualify this year and next, who in a "normal" year might have accumulated many UXPs this year and few UXPs next year (maybe they were commuting Europe-Japan regularly this year which would have given them 1,200 UXP, and then just a few flights next year). Again, the gift of 900 UXP may not be enough for them to keep their status
  • Also, very frequent Platinums that have more than 300 XP at the end of this year can roll over surplus XPs to next year. They don't get the push from FB to reach 300 XP, but why would they given that they don't need it.
  • In comparison, ULTIs that do not need the gift of 900 UXP this year because they already have enough UXPs benefit from absolutely nothing, the gift of 900 UXPs is "wasted" on them because they cannot roll them over.
In summary, complaining that the most loyal customers do not get rewarded is simply not true when you see how ULTIs get treated (absolutely no guarantee to keep the status) vs. how other status members get treated (100% guarantee to keep their status). And the whining about "the push" being unfair is among people who all make it to the finishing line to keep their status, except that some have received more help than others. This is a bit like the people who are very happy with their car but get unhappy when they see that their neighbour has a bigger one.

People that complain about having more roll-over points in a "normal" year - seriously, is this the only thing how 2020 is different in comparison to a "normal" year? If 2020 was a normal year FB wouldn't even have made this move (and taxpayers would not have paid to keep the airline running or to keep your job).

But other than that, seriously, we should all stop whining.
bodory, SFO777, irishguy28 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by San Gottardo; Apr 19, 2020 at 9:30 am
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Can't agree more...

Most of the people complaining do it as they compare each other while they miss the main point : keeping their status no matter how !

And please step back a little... Airlines are suffering a health & financial crisis with a lack of revenue that never happened in their history... they're still making efforts (which is an additional cost) to retain their loyal customers while 95% of their staff and planes are grounded with no revenue ! Airlines are like normal companies... at some point, you have to make some choices to keep the company alive !

And by the way, we are talking about thousands of people dying every day, recession, companies going bankrupt, people getting fired... so let's be happy with FB "gift" and be happy to be healthy enough to fly soon
Goldorak and Fabo.sk like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.