Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
URL to information: https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/news/coronavirus-updates

Update 16/4/20

At this stage measurements which have been taken are for status maintain only. We are well aware that customers can also be impacted by less chance for an upgrade and/or reduced opportunities to carry over XP to the next year. We are constantly monitoring the evolution of the situation and are adjusting our policies accordingly. Should there be additional measures to compensate those impacts too, we will let our Flying Blue members know as soon as possible.
Update 15/4/20

In challenging times like today, travelling has become more difficult due to reasons beyond your control. In these trying times, we want to remove any uncertainty you may have about your Flying Blue Elite level.

We have put the following actions in place:

- We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
- We will prevent all Miles from expiring between now and the end of 2020 for all our Explorer members.
From the Q&A that will be shared later today:

2. Will I keep my current level in my next qualification period?
In case your qualification period ends between March 2020 and February 2021, you will keep your current level even if you dont reach the XP objective. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

3. When will I see this XP measure in my online account?
Not until the first day in your new qualification period will you see in your online account that your current level is maintained. In your activity overview, youll find either XP offered by Flying Blue with the number of XP that are credited to reach the XP objective, or Counter offset with the XP objective deducted from your counter. A new card will be sent to you before your current card expires. The validity date of your digital card will be updated at the end of your current qualification period.

4. I want to upgrade to a higher level. Will I also be compensated?
Our measures enable Elite members to maintain their current level. It is not applicable for members who wish to upgrade to a higher level.

5. Will I keep my current XP balance in my next qualification period?
We will automatically offset the number of XP needed to maintain or upgrade a level. Any surplus XP will remain on your account. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

6. What will happen to my years counting towards Platinum for life?
If you keep your current level during your next qualification period based on our special measures that membership year will count towards the 10 consecutive years needed to qualify for Platinum for life. For example:

You have been a Platinum member for 9 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained and reach 10 consecutive years of Platinum. On 1 January 2021, your new qualificaiton period starts and on 1 April 2021, we will change your level to Platinum for life.
You have been a Platinum member for 7 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained. On 1 January 2021, your 8th consecutive year of Platinum will start.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: status extensions confirmed

Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
News for Ultimates: FB adds 900 UXP to members' accounts at the end of June 2020.
And for those trying to reach the threshold ???

Un poids, deux mesures ???
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:01 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
If I understand correctly then for me Flying Blue will treat 2020 as a normal year. I got Platinum status in October 2017 and have maintained ever since. Started 00:01AM 1st January 2020 with 632 XP. This year I've only flown on 1st January 2020 and now have 683 XP. My schedule for the year now looks to be:

January trip 51XP - flown
April trip 34XP - cancelled
May/June trip 102XP - cancelled
August/September trip 102XP - hopefully possible
December trip 51XP - hopefully possible

I should have ended 2020 with 972 XP, which would give me plenty XP for rolling over to maintain Platium. If I do not fly again in 2020 then I shall be deducted the usual 300 XP and will start 2021 with 536 XP. So I'm one of those that will be worse of because I already have the status qualification XP amount but my rollover amount has taken a big hit since I am unable to fly.
Billyfergus likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by siw
If I understand correctly then for me Flying Blue will treat 2020 as a normal year. I got Platinum status in October 2017 and have maintained ever since. Started 00:01AM 1st January 2020 with 632 XP. This year I've only flown on 1st January 2020 and now have 683 XP. My schedule for the year now looks to be:

January trip 51XP - flown
April trip 34XP - cancelled
May/June trip 102XP - cancelled
August/September trip 102XP - hopefully possible
December trip 51XP - hopefully possible

I should have ended 2020 with 972 XP, which would give me plenty XP for rolling over to maintain Platium. If I do not fly again in 2020 then I shall be deducted the usual 300 XP and will start 2021 with 536 XP. So I'm one of those that will be worse of because I already have the status qualification XP amount but my rollover amount has taken a big hit since I am unable to fly.
Yes, I'm exactly the same....
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: FB Plat
Is it normal the wiki states April 2020? I have the feeling that what really concern most of posters in this thread with a lot of XP is what will happen in January/April 2021, no?

It is really not the same thing to say that you will be deducted 300XP in April 2020 (it would be "fair" compared with Plats having a qualification period ending in December 2019 who already got deducted) and to infer that the same will happen in April 2021.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Porcepic
Is it normal the wiki states April 2020?.
April 2020 is taken only as an example. It is one of 12 possible year-end deadlines, all of which are included and treated in exactly the same way.

(You can substitute March 2020, May/June/July/August/September/October/November/December 2020 or January/February 2021 in its place and the example still holds good.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:34 am

It's certainly a big hit because I rely on some degree of rollovers every year. This is exasperating. They could have simply suspended the deduction for 1 year and retained status. Is there anyone we can write to about this?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's gone live now on the Flying Blue website, including the FAQ that we had the world premiere of earlier this morning courtesy of Gajan
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
(You can substitute March 2020, May/June/July/August/September/October/November/December 2020 or January/February 2021 in its place and the example still holds good.
I am not sure it is that clear. If you are Plat with a qualification period ending in April 2020, it means that you are a "recent" Plat (thus there might be not a lot of ppl in this situation with a lot of spare XP above the 300XP-threshold).

If you extend the status of this Plat without deducting 300XP, it means that a "recent" Plat would basically be given a free year of Plat for 2019 (although having been penalized only during the second half of March 2020+April) while a "long-time" Plat would have been deducted of 300XP in December 2019 to requalify. That would not be very fair as well.

The situation is of course really different if the same apply in December 2020 or April 2021! (although I am not sure where to fairly place the limit between the two worlds)
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by currentjer
It's certainly a big hit because I rely on some degree of rollovers every year. This is exasperating. They could have simply suspended the deduction for 1 year and retained status. Is there anyone we can write to about this?
I tried to write an email to FB but their website is down and I can't login no matter the browser, the device or after clearing cookies.
Wil973 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Porcepic
If you extend the status of this Plat without deducting 300XP, it means that a "recent" Plat would basically be given a free year of Plat for 2019 (although having been penalized only during the second half of March 2020+April) while a "long-time" Plat would have been deducted of 300XP in December 2019 to requalify. That would not be very fair as well.
There is no question of anyone not having the 300 XP deducted.

If you read the examples, they ALWAYS deduct the relevant amount (100/180/300 XP).

It's simple:

All Platinums have 300XP taken on their anniversary date (i.e. in April 2020, in May 2020, in June 2020.....in February 2021, depending on the invidual's membership year).

If that Platinum doesn't have a balance of 300 or more, then they first top it up so that it exactly equals 300XP, before deducing the 300XP.
Porcepic likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
Oh my Jeez, this is the worst situation handling from FB since... a few months.

We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
but
  • If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
  • If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.
So, if you are a more frequent flyer with a rollover surplus, you are discriminated.
I don't understand why they keep offsetting the counter and not just freeze it for 1year.
saraoutou, Mirk, Wil973 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
There is no question of anyone not having the 300 XP deducted.

If you read the examples, they ALWAYS deduct the relevant amount (100/180/300 XP).

It's simple:

All Platinums have 300XP taken on their anniversary date (i.e. in April 2020, in May 2020, in June 2020.....in February 2021, depending on the invidual's membership year).

If that Platinum doesn't have a balance of 300 or more, then they first top it up so that it exactly equals 300XP, before deducing the 300XP.
This is where is matters.
Getting a free topup (=XPgain) vs. being 100% deduced from your rollover surplus
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yolow

This is where is matters.
Getting a free topup (=XPgain) vs. being 100% deduced from your rollover surplus
Yeah, but if you scroll back you'll see we came up with two alternatives:

The most generous: add 100XP to each silver account, 180XP to each gold account, and 300XP to each Platinum account.

The most equitable: at the date of the level check, if anyone has an XP balance less than they had at the previous level check, elevate them to the same number of XPs they had 12 months ago. That means everyone maintains status, and starts the new year in the exact same position as they started this current (cursed) year, as a minimum. If anyone managed to fly more in this current (cursed) year, they get to keep their additional flying, but those that didn't start off exactly as they did a year previously.

Both mean that those platinums nursing large rollover balances will not lose any rollover XPs.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Just want to add my 2 cents; I became Plat quite soon after the XP were introduced and have a renewal end of June. As I have banked 712XP, I won't loose my status in a couple months, but I had to cancel quite a few trips because of Corona.

I understand the argument of crediting 100/180/300 to the respective status holders, but I like to propose another option, which I think meets FB & the 'standard' credit in the middle; Show FB your cancelled flights and claim those XP as part of your compensation. While this requires quite a bit of work on both ends, it will be closest to the actual situation.
Wil973 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps Flying Blue might have made it easier if they had expressed it as follows:

Status downgrades suspended in the current membership year*

Are you a current Flying Blue Elite or Elite Plus member? If, by the end of your current membership year* you haven't attained the required level of XPs to retain your status - don't worry. We are suspending status downgrades for all such members, and all members will at least maintain their current level into their following membership year.

Did you manage to attain the required level of XPs to retain your status, or even climb to a higher status? Then congratulations - your new year of status will commence as normal!

*Applies to all membership renewal dates from March 2020 to February 2021 inclusive.
petitaix and Fabo.sk like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.