Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
URL to information: https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/news/coronavirus-updates

Update 16/4/20

At this stage measurements which have been taken are for status maintain only. We are well aware that customers can also be impacted by less chance for an upgrade and/or reduced opportunities to carry over XP to the next year. We are constantly monitoring the evolution of the situation and are adjusting our policies accordingly. Should there be additional measures to compensate those impacts too, we will let our Flying Blue members know as soon as possible.
Update 15/4/20

In challenging times like today, travelling has become more difficult due to reasons beyond your control. In these trying times, we want to remove any uncertainty you may have about your Flying Blue Elite level.

We have put the following actions in place:

- We will maintain all Flying Blue Elite members with a qualification period ending between March 2020 and February 2021 for another 12 months.
- We will prevent all Miles from expiring between now and the end of 2020 for all our Explorer members.
From the Q&A that will be shared later today:

2. Will I keep my current level in my next qualification period?
In case your qualification period ends between March 2020 and February 2021, you will keep your current level even if you don’t reach the XP objective. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

3. When will I see this XP measure in my online account?
Not until the first day in your new qualification period will you see in your online account that your current level is maintained. In your activity overview, you’ll find either ‘XP offered by Flying Blue’ with the number of XP that are credited to reach the XP objective, or ‘Counter offset’ with the XP objective deducted from your counter. A new card will be sent to you before your current card expires. The validity date of your digital card will be updated at the end of your current qualification period.

4. I want to upgrade to a higher level. Will I also be compensated?
Our measures enable Elite members to maintain their current level. It is not applicable for members who wish to upgrade to a higher level.

5. Will I keep my current XP balance in my next qualification period?
We will automatically offset the number of XP needed to maintain or upgrade a level. Any surplus XP will remain on your account. Some examples:

A Silver member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 120 XP, your counter will be offset by 100 XP to maintain Silver and you keep a surplus of 20 XP.
· If you have gained 65 XP, we will credit the missing 35 XP and then offset your counter with 100 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Silver level.

A Gold member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 220 XP, your counter will be offset by 180 XP to maintain Gold and you keep a surplus of 40 XP.
· If you have gained 120 XP, we will credit the missing 60 XP and then offset your counter with 180 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Gold level.

A Platinum member with a qualification period ending in April 2020:
· If you have gained 450 XP, your counter will be offset by 300 XP to maintain Platinum and you keep a surplus of 150 XP.
· If you have gained 250 XP, we will credit the missing 50 XP and then offset your counter with 300 XP to reset your XP counter to 0 and maintain your Platinum level.

6. What will happen to my years counting towards Platinum for life?
If you keep your current level during your next qualification period based on our special measures that membership year will count towards the 10 consecutive years needed to qualify for Platinum for life. For example:

· You have been a Platinum member for 9 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained and reach 10 consecutive years of Platinum. On 1 January 2021, your new qualificaiton period starts and on 1 April 2021, we will change your level to Platinum for life.
· You have been a Platinum member for 7 consecutive years, and your current qualification period will end on 31 December 2020. Because of our measures, you will be maintained. On 1 January 2021, your 8th consecutive year of Platinum will start.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: status extensions confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by canadavid
Another way to treat everybody fine would be to offer to each account:
Explorer: 3/12 * 100 = 25xp
Silver: 3/12 x 180 = 45xp
Gold and Plat: 3/12 x 100 = 75xp

Depending on the final number of months of this crisis, those calculation can be adjusted.
It would help the members to maintain to their status or to move up to the higher status if they were on their way.
For plat or those who have already accumulated enough xp, they will still get an advantage and not the feeling to be punished without gift !

Alternative :
Assuming that Silver and above FB status fly with pretty same regularity on two rolling years, another solution would be to credit the average amount of XP they earnt last year during the equivalent period of current shutdown. It is less subject to opportunism.

Ex:
300XP on last qualification year.
4months shutdown this year.
-> 300/12 * 4 =100XP

nota : Q1 & Q2 may be more travel intensive than, let's say, August.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air Europa extending status means nothing in this equation as Air Europa will probably not exist in a month, even if there is some state aid granted.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by gaukuser
Thanks NickB -- Yeah, I did see this. But I guess my point (which could have benefited from being clearer) is that the time lost is already lost for all, the same for all. I mean, even someone whose anniversary year is in February (the most lead time you could have relative to the beginning of this crisis). So the distinction already feels moot. Why the two stepped approach here? Say it's 25 percent off (ha!) for everyone. Say it may possibly be revised up if the crisis extends into M Month...
Because the people whose year ends in the current and next months are less affected. They have had 12, 11 or 10 months of unaffected travel already in which to attain their current targets. The targets have been reduced by an amount indicative of the time "lost" from their year - 25%.

For those whose years end in the coming months - and for the "new qualifiers" starting off a new year now or soon - they will be further impacted (more than just the last few weeks or couple of months of their anniversary year is not available in which to take qualifying flights).

There will be little to no chance to take further qualifying flights through spring and into summer for those whose are less advanced in their current membership years (or for those starting a new membership year having already benefitted from a status threshold reduction - do not take this as meaning that they won't see a further similar gesture towards the end of these new years).
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Yolow
Alternative :
Assuming that Silver and above FB status fly with pretty same regularity on two rolling years, another solution would be to credit the average amount of XP they earnt last year during the equivalent period of current shutdown. It is less subject to opportunism.

Ex:
300XP on last qualification year.
4months shutdown this year.
-> 300/12 * 4 =100XP

nota : Q1 & Q2 may be more travel intensive than, let's say, August.
This is effectively what they are already doing for March thru May years

About the regularity, well, I credited 90XP last May. If they took that value, I'd be happy. If they try to "regularise" my travel pattern, I am short.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I'm so glad I got far ahead with this already, with 212 XPs out of 300 needed before end of October. Because I do not expect any extensions or help whatsoever I am planning forward as if nothing would change. Of course, I do hope Air France KLM will still exist in some form after all this is over!

I am also extremely lucky to not have any air travel booked for the whole of this current period (this is usually my busy time, when external travel is impossible). But I do have one or two rail ticket problems to resolve in Switzerland and Germany, which I am discussing down in the European Rail Travel thread.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Concerto
I'm so glad I got far ahead with this already, with 212 XPs out of 300 needed before end of October. Because I do not expect any extensions or help whatsoever I am planning forward as if nothing would change. Of course, I do hope Air France KLM will still exist in some form after all this is over!

I am also extremely lucky to not have any air travel booked for the whole of this current period (this is usually my busy time, when external travel is impossible). But I do have one or two rail ticket problems to resolve in Switzerland and Germany, which I am discussing down in the European Rail Travel thread.
I sincerely doubt AF-KLM will disappear, neither the Dutch or French governments would allow that to happen. Especially after KLM's recent centenary, it would be strange to let it go under less than 12 months later potentially before the centenary of their first flight carrying passengers.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I am sure you are right. However, today's announcement by the British government that they will offer no aid to UK airlines is worrying, to say the least.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...esort-11963039

Well, it looks like the bailout would only be offered as a last resort, now that I have read it properly.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Branson must be KICKING HIMSELF that he pulled out of the deal to sell the majority of his shares to AF/KL!!!!
Fims and Weean like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Delta just announced their status extension:
https://news.delta.com/delta-extends...-future-travel

Medallion Members:
  • All Medallion Status for 2020 will be automatically extended for the 2021 Medallion Year.
  • All Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) from 2020 are being rolled over to 2021 to qualify for 2022 Medallion Status.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Mirk
Delta just announced their status extension:
https://news.delta.com/delta-extends...-future-travel
A very clever policy that all airlines and hotel chains should follow. Stop taking step-wise measures. 2020 is a lost cause and a total write off. The entire world is locked down. So let's focus on 2021 for recovery.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
A very clever policy that all airlines and hotel chains should follow. Stop taking step-wise measures. 2020 is a lost cause and a total write off. The entire world is locked down. So let's focus on 2021 for recovery.
Please put this sage in charge of Flying Blue!!!
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Please put this sage in charge of Flying Blue!!!
and Blue-credits expiring in 2020...
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: FB Ultimate, Accor Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond,Avis President, Hertz President Club
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Hilton already extended the status until 2022 as per the policy below:
  • 2019 Status Extension. All members whose 2019 status was scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020—whether it’s Diamond, Gold or Silver—will automatically receive an extension through March 31, 2021.
  • 2020 Status Extension. We are extending your 2020 member status through March 31, 2022. This means you will continue to enjoy all the Diamond, Gold or Silver benefits you have access to today for the next 24 months.
  • Points Extension. We will pause the expiration of all Points scheduled to expire between now and December 31, 2020.
  • Weekend Night Rewards Earned on Eligible Hilton Credit Cards. We have extended the expiration date of all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021).
Accor Hotels have credited 50% of the status points and 50% of the nights to the member's accounts needed to keep the status.

Best Western will keep the status of their Elite members until January 31st 2022.

For AF/KLM, I had someone on the ULTI line who told me at the moment they don't know what will be proposed. I mentioned to him that other airlines were extending the status of their FF members. He couldn't give me an answer as he didn't have one at this time.

Alex
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Something weird happened.
I had 100 XP and my status Gold status would expire on 31st of March 2020. 100 XP have been deducted for silver qualification but my Gold expire on the card shows as 06/2020. Is this a sign that they're extending status?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
Something weird happened.
I had 100 XP and my status Gold status would expire on 31st of March 2020. 100 XP have been deducted for silver qualification but my Gold expire on the card shows as 06/2020. Is this a sign that they're extending status?
Your status remains valid for 3 months after your qualification period ends, could that be what happened here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.