AF 772 vs KLM 781 (Economy)

Old Feb 21, 2020, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
AF 772 vs KLM 781 (Economy)

Headed to Dubai for work in early April. Have the choice of either going through CDG and getting there on the 772 or through AMS on the 781.

Flying in Y though am DL PM so should get extra legroom seats on both.

Open to possibility of paying for upgrade to PE or J if available (especially for the late night DXB - AMS / CDG). Looking for max legroom and best chance for that paid upgrade (at a reasonable price). Indifferent about CDG vs AMS (am very familiar with both and going through one vs the other isn’t enough to sway me in either direction).

Thoughts?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:30 am

KL have EC seats with extra legroom while AF have very limited extra legroom seats (bulkheads/emergency exit).
On the other hand, on AF there's a chance that the fare between Y and PE won't be very big so you might want to look into having your employer book a Y seat and change it later (assuming your employer won't allow booking PE and you paying the fare difference)

I don't think anyone here can guess your chances of an upgrade offer, let alone at what price it will come.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Brand new 787 with new E+ seats compared to a 12yr old 772 with 6yr old seats in a 2-4-2 config and no E+. Plus 6000ft cabin compared to 8000ft in the 772. That all said, you have more chance of a paid upgrade on AF.
mikem004 and Duke787 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: FB Plat
I would go with AF to DXB (slightly better food, better IFE for a day flight and arrival time a bit earlier than KL) and KL for the return night flight out of DXB (for free E+ seat offered to STE+ that is a giant leap in comfort…).

For the 787-10, avoid the bulkhead seats in the middle part of the cabin as the legroom there looks not so good.
Duke787 and Thysk like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.