Denying gold benefits

Old Feb 6, 20, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum
Denying gold benefits

While checking in luggage at Bergen airport. The agent behind the counter says I have to pay for luggage. I show my gold card and skyteam elite plus mark on the ticket. No, is the answer. Gold does not give free luggage. I simply say, that is wrong. She asks the young KLM agent next to her, wich agrees with her patron...

I show her KLMs benefits on the website.

She calls s collegue, wich obviously tells her that gold has free luggage. I hear she says «I had forgotten that» on the phone. When getting back to me she plays the hero, and says she has overrunned the system and done me a favour. Ie; I am the lucky (and guilty one).

Soon 101 years in the skies...
Old Feb 6, 20, 11:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Accor ALL Gold
Hi

Just to be sure , you were travelling on a KL flight operated by KLM ?

i guess at bergen these employees are contractors , which are assigned to all airlines and therefore may not be aware of the rules of each airline

For instance LH/LX light fare don't have luggages included regardless of status

So in your case you can probably blame the bad quality training these employees received and/or misconfiguration in their systems

Please submit a complain to KLM online , so they will receive feedbacks

Next time if you have to pay , then pay , keep the receipt and submit a claim to KLM for reimbursement and a complain

As a reminder , always carry your physical card with you

Last edited by fifty_two; Feb 6, 20 at 12:09 pm
Old Feb 6, 20, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fifty_two View Post
always carry your platinum card with you
In case showing a gold card doesn't work?

Johan
Thysk, r0gerthat, Braniff and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 20, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

KL flight operated by KLM.

They had KLM uniforms, at least.
Old Feb 6, 20, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
In case showing a gold card doesn't work?

Johan
because some agents in 3rd party lounges or checkin desks or fast-tracks are not aware of rules , and don't even recognize electronic cards or electronic boarding passes and may ask you to prove membership, this happen in remote stations especially

The issue OP had was due to something else , but what i mentionned was an additional advice

Originally Posted by KLBGO View Post
KL flight operated by KLM.

They had KLM uniforms, at least.
thanks for confirmation

Wearing uniform doesnt really mean anything these days , they are probably just contractors hired by a third party company working part time as a side job on behalf of KLM
Old Feb 6, 20, 3:49 pm

Programs: KL Platinum, A3 Gold, BA Silver
I doubt hired contractors would wear KL clothes?
Old Feb 6, 20, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747jetter View Post
It is not unusual for multi-airline handling agents to switch jackets depending on which airline they are checking-in.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by KLBGO View Post
She calls s collegue, wich obviously tells her that gold has free luggage. I hear she says «I had forgotten that» on the phone. When getting back to me she plays the hero, and says she has overrunned the system and done me a favour. Ie; I am the lucky (and guilty one).
I had the same thing in Berlin last month - as a newly-minted Platinum!

I would recommend that you send a brief note via the KLM website contact forms. They need to be alerted to the scale of the misinformation being peddled by their various handling agencies...

As a reminder , always carry your physical card with you
That didn't help me!

If an agent thinks that Gold and/or Platinum doesn't allow a checked bag over the terms of the ticket, then waving a physical card in front of them isn't going to change their mind.

Even showing him the website, and the luggage allowance displayed in my booking in the KLM app, didn't help.

The only thing that "helped" was when he "rang Amsterdam" and got "permission to waive the €45 fee" which I was apparently supposed to accept as a huge favour!!!

WISAG check-in staff at TXL
Goldorak likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 7, 20 at 2:44 am
Old Feb 7, 20, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
I would recommend that you send a brief note via the KLM website contact forms. They need to be alerted to the scale of the misinformation being peddled by their various handling agencies...
Yes , i think if they see more and more complaints coming about the same topic , they will start to take action

That didn't help me!
What i mentionned was an additional advice , because some agents in 3rd party lounges or checkin desks or fast-tracks are not aware of rules , and don't even recognize electronic cards or electronic boarding passes and may ask you to prove membership, this happen in remote stations especially

The only thing that "helped" was when he "rang Amsterdam" and got "permission to waive the €45 fee" which I was apparently supposed to accept as a huge favour!!!

WISAG check-in staff at TXL
Lol , i hate these kind of people who dont want to admit they are wrong ! Mistakes or lack of knowledge are fine , however this doesn't help that after XXX minutes of useless discussion he/she/they simply don't want to say sorry and thanks

Last edited by fifty_two; Feb 7, 20 at 3:51 am
Old Feb 7, 20, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lol , i hate these kind of people who dont want to admit they are wrong !
It used to infuriate me when I was younger. As I get older, and perhaps very fractionally wiser, I tend to chuckle internally but let it go and smile and thank them. It is their way of keeping face and, IME, nothing good ever comes from people feeling trapped and losing face. If it was a backroom supervisor being particularly difficult and obnoxious, I would perhaps feel somewhat differently (and even then....) but frontline agents need to find their way to keep their composure and soldier on and, for some, that little device is their way of doing it.
Old Feb 7, 20, 10:41 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Johan. In your post no. 3, you quoted the op's "always carry your platinum card with you", but he said "physical ".
How come it's been wrongly quoted ?
Old Feb 7, 20, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by mike turnbull View Post
Johan. In your post no. 3, you quoted the op's "always carry your platinum card with you", but he said "physical ".
How come it's been wrongly quoted ?
Post-editing.
Old Feb 7, 20, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Oops...never mind!

I think Johan was making a joke anyway.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 11:41 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Thanks. Think I've got it !
Old Feb 7, 20, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by 747jetter View Post
Uniform doesnt mean anything these days , its just a piece of whool , the most important is the one who pays them

Search this Thread
Search Engine: