Wiki Posts
Search

What is a XP good value?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF, BA, SK, Marriott & Hilton
What is a XP good value?

I am planning to run for a Gold this year on AF program.
I have a couple of work trip (all in eco unfortunately), so I would need some XP runs.
I have seen a few deals so far in Business that should help me achieve this goal.

My question when I look for flights is: What is a good value for XP?

For example, with BAEC, below 3 Eur a Tier Points it is a relatively good deal, and below 2 Eur a good deal!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Please don't start parallel threads for the same topic, particularly when this thread is rarely off the front page!

Mileage runs for Flying Blue - best routes?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:02 am
Original Poster

the topic you mention is for MILEAGE run
( I have read most of it, and took inspiration thanks to the great community here)

but my question is about the value of XP

1 XP = how many Euros roughly is a good deal
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: FB Plat
You can relatively easily find simple R/T trips in Y xxx-CDG/AMS or CDG/AMS-xxx that would credit 10XP for about 100€.
So a good approximation would be that 10€/XP is quite common, and good deals come around 5-5.5€/XP and below.

But the value is really up to you. If you end the year 5XP far from reaching Gold and have a lot of trips planned on Skyteam in Y for the following year, you won't value these 5XP the same as if you were 60XP far from reaching Gold with no special need/will to fly on Skyteam partners or fly mainly in J.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by supersympa
the topic you mention is for MILEAGE run
( I have read most of it, and took inspiration thanks to the great community here)

but my question is about the value of XP

1 XP = how many Euros roughly is a good deal
2 sides of the same coin - though FB was, and always has been, more about segment running.

That's where this discussion belongs - have a look at the posts there!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you Porcepic
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:18 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
I do agree also with irishguy . Even if now FB use XP , not miles or segments anymore therefore this question should be posted here =
Mileage runs for Flying Blue - best routes?[

There is no real value for an XP , but as mentionned earlier , adding layovers help to get more xp for cheap

You can find deals and ask questions , also see the XP calculator to see how much xp a flight will give you
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
While waiting for this thread to get merged into the other one, I will say that anything between €5 and €10 per XP is good to excellent value. You rarely get less than €5 for an XP.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:20 am

True less than 5 must be hard.... if anyone can have that i will love to know
The doomed likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think some managed to shave it down to €4.8-4.9 on certain itineraries, but that's getting into Artful Dodger territory there. Some economy class itineraries with transfer in AMS can go as low as €6-7 sometimes.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: FB Platinum (SkyTeam Elite Plus)
Originally Posted by Porcepic
You can relatively easily find simple R/T trips in Y xxx-CDG/AMS or CDG/AMS-xxx that would credit 10XP for about 100€.
So a good approximation would be that 10€/XP is quite common, and good deals come around 5-5.5€/XP and below.

But the value is really up to you. If you end the year 5XP far from reaching Gold and have a lot of trips planned on Skyteam in Y for the following year, you won't value these 5XP the same as if you were 60XP far from reaching Gold with no special need/will to fly on Skyteam partners or fly mainly in J.
You are right, but for almost the same price (320€) you can fly CDG-LHR (return) in J for 30XP, so no need to run 3 flights. Instead you can enjoy the (poor) business experience on this route
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, FB Plat
It is an interesting question when posed right. XP themselves don't have value but you can still talk about good value for money, if you'd want to buy them, and to see how much your (re-)qualification would cost.

Some examples of runs and prices:
CDG - AMS rt €100 / 10xp = €10/1xp. The basis for lower cost Y fares within Europe.
AMS - CDG - GVA rt €140 / 20xp €7/xp. Similar to the old way of flying segments in Y, with one stop in between. This is about the lowest fare you'll find for such a trip within Europe.
AMS - CDG - XXX rt in Biz €400/60xp = €6.7/xp. Example run for 4 segments in Europe in biz, will likely need a minimum stay requirement or saterday night.

Some special fares:
Baltics - DXB run (E.g. VNO - RIX - HEL - AMS - CDG rt in biz) €950/168xp = €5.6/xp. Fare has been discussed multiple times in Premium fares and still available.
BRU - FCO - VCO rt in biz on AZ 25% discount fare. €240/60xp = €4/xp. Alitalia offers 25% off from time to time, usually people post these in the segment run forum.

This is excluding accommodation and other transfer costs, which can add up. As a baseline €10/xp is normal, €7/xp is good, and anything below is where the real value for money starts, XP wise anyway.
Wil973 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you MarcElMile

and thank you to all of you above who answered my question about best value for money of XP
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really think the Valencia (VLC) run is not that amazing a deal: I needed 2 overnights to enable that trip (at BRU and FCO), which pushed the costs well up. Of course, I made it part of the trip, so it was ok.

I'm actually not so aware of the intricacies of the run to Dubai above. Is that really plausible, flying between Vilnius, Riga, Helsinki and Paris? I bet there'll be a couple of extra overnights in there. Plus the trip to Vilnius. Could be fun, though. If you're going to do this, you might as well have some fun with it.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not agree that this thread should be merged with the existing MR-best routes thread. The existing MR thread is about identifying routings that yield a good number of XPs. It seems to me a good idea to keep a practical thread about routings separate from broader meta-discussion about MRs, such as the question of how to determine best value, in exactly the same as there are elsewhere on FT separate boards for identifying MRs and for broader discussions on MRs.
Klems and JournoFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.