Luggage for ST Elite on an SQ segment

Old Feb 2, 20, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, HH Silver, IHG Gold
Luggage for ST Elite on an SQ segment

On a return leg of my AF itinerary, the first segment is operated by SQ. It is not listed as a codeshare, and only has a SQ flight number. The whole itinerary is a Light fare. As far as I understand, SkyTeam Elite status would allow me to check in a bag, but would I have problems with that on the SQ-operated flight?
What about the lounge access for that segment?
Old Feb 2, 20, 1:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Just got back from Singapore where I had to take Malaysia Airline to KL first. I had to pay my check in luggage from Singapore to KL as they are not under the same team. I would assume SQ would do the same.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deeetcha View Post
Just got back from Singapore where I had to take Malaysia Airline to KL first. I had to pay my check in luggage from Singapore to KL as they are not under the same team. I would assume SQ would do the same.
The issue is that SQ does not have a 'light' fare class with hand-luggage only. I'm assuming that as far as SQ is concerned, I would be allowed what they normally allow, which is 30 kg. Also, given that the trip is on one ticket, I am assuming that the bags (given they are actually checked in) will be interlined during the stopover at SIN?
Old Feb 2, 20, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by XmaX View Post
Also, given that the trip is on one ticket, I am assuming that the bags (given they are actually checked in) will be interlined during the stopover at SIN?
Yes, they will be checked through to final destination.

Originally Posted by XmaX View Post
On a return leg of my AF itinerary, the first segment is operated by SQ. It is not listed as a codeshare, and only has a SQ flight number. The whole itinerary is a Light fare. As far as I understand, SkyTeam Elite status would allow me to check in a bag, but would I have problems with that on the SQ-operated flight?
What about the lounge access for that segment?
Elite status in ST doesn't grant you lounge access. You need Elite Plus. Assuming you meant Elite+ instead of Elite, no access for the SQ leg if you are on SQ code.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue
There seems a "law" form ITAT.
The number of luggage of multi-flight should be the same of the longest trip.
For example, you have three flights: A (short distance, 0 luggage) - B (long distance, 1 luggage) - C (short distance, 2 luggages). The flight A should also have 1 luggage.

Call service line to verify that
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:30 am

Sorry, I'm a wee bit confused now:

I'm flying AMS-SIN on KL, and SIN-MNL on SQ next week in Y (all in one KL ticket, but SIN-MNL has SQ flight#), and am FB Gold.
Will I or will I not have access to a lounge in SIN? If I will, which lounge, and can I bring a guest?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:41 am

Nope... the last time i saw someone do this... he was denied
MileageRunner68 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MileageRunner68 View Post
Sorry, I'm a wee bit confused now:

I'm flying AMS-SIN on KL, and SIN-MNL on SQ next week in Y (all in one KL ticket, but SIN-MNL has SQ flight#), and am FB Gold.
Will I or will I not have access to a lounge in SIN? If I will, which lounge, and can I bring a guest?

Many thanks in advance!
no lounge and no guest of course
MileageRunner68 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 3:34 am

Thanks to both, confirmed what I expected.
Old Apr 8, 20, 6:32 am
Original Poster

An update on what happened:
In MNL, where my return journey began, the SQ check-in agent was initially convinced that we have no luggage allowance (3 out of 4 of the group are ST Elite+). Upon discussion with presumably a supervisor and inspecting our FFP cards, the 3 people who hold status were allowed to check-in their bags. However, due to a cancellation of the SIN-CDG, the layover in Singapore was now over 30 hours, and so we wanted our bags to be only checked to Singapore. That was not possible - it was either check them in to final destination, or pay ($100 I think). Luckily, all our bags except one were cabin-luggage sized, so after some repacking we managed just fine.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: