Wiki Posts
Search

XP run based out BOS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, United Premier Silver
XP run based out BOS

Hi all, I plotted my business/personal trips for the next few months, and may end up 29 XP short of confirming Gold in May depending on whether or not a tentative business trip to Europe will happen — it may be 17 if another domestic first-class trip also happens, as it probably will, but let’s just see the glass half empty and say I need 29 XP by end of May (and I already have the BofA credit card).

I’m based in BOS. Any suggestion for creative runs? What’s the valuation of a single XP in EUR or USD that would make the hassle worth it? What resources do you recommend I use to figure out a smart, lucrative itinerary?

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Hi there,

Out of Boston, you can fly to Toronto with WestJet, which is a Flying Blue partner, for which you can earn XPs. Check whether they offer business class, because if so, you can rack 30XP for a round trip. I checked on their website but saw only Premium Economy at best (maybe due to the aircraft – a de Havilland). Even so, and assuming the Premium Economy fare is a "W", "O" or "R" (as mentioned on the FB page) and recognized as such, you can still get 20XP round trip for ~$500. Make another round trip in Economy for $200 to get an additional 10XP.

You need to make sure that you book the flights marketed by WestJet and operated by WestJet (here WestJet Encore). This is because WestJet is a Flying Blue partner (but not SkyTeam). DO NOT book a flight under Delta code and operated by WestJet!!!! A flight marketed by a SkyTeam alliance member needs to be also operated by a SkyTeam member in order to accrue XP (and WestJet is not).

Last but not least, you can also get the AF–KLM World Elite Mastercard issued by Bank of America. Upon approval, you get 60XP (usually within 2-3 days).

Cheers,
vinnyc

PS: FYI, I do my XP runs out of LGA flying to YUL on Delta, either booking directly in (Domestic) First Class if I book early enough (round trip for $500), or in Economy and then upgrade for almost nothing to First Class (risky strategy if no availabilities). Delta has the advantage that you get the XP based on the upgraded flight (Delta formally reallocates you to a revenue First Class fare and pushes that fare to Flying Blue). As a result, you get First Class XP, which is 30XP round trip.

Last edited by vinnyc; Jan 21, 2020 at 10:14 pm
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by vinnyc
Hi there,

Out of Boston, you can fly to Toronto with WestJet, which is a Flying Blue partner, for which you can earn XPs. Check whether they offer business class, because if so, you can rack 30XP for a round trip. I checked on their website but saw only Premium Economy at best (maybe due to the aircraft – a de Havilland). Even so, and assuming the Premium Economy fare is a "W", "O" or "R" (as mentioned on the FB page) and recognized as such, you can still get 20XP round trip for ~$500. Make another round trip in Economy for $200 to get an additional 10XP.

You need to make sure that you book the flights marketed by WestJet and operated by WestJet (here WestJet Encore). This is because WestJet is a Flying Blue partner (but not SkyTeam). DO NOT book a flight under Delta code and operated by WestJet!!!! A flight marketed by a SkyTeam alliance member needs to be also operated by a SkyTeam member in order to accrue XP (and WestJet is not).

Last but not least, you can also get the AF–KLM World Elite Mastercard issued by Bank of America. Upon approval, you get 60XP (usually within 2-3 days).

Cheers,
vinnyc

PS: FYI, I do my XP runs out of LGA flying to YUL on Delta, either booking directly in (Domestic) First Class if I book early enough (round trip for $500), or in Economy and then upgrade for almost nothing to First Class (risky strategy if no availabilities). Delta has the advantage that you get the XP based on the upgraded flight (Delta formally reallocates you to a revenue First Class fare and pushes that fare to Flying Blue). As a result, you get First Class XP, which is 30XP round trip.
Thank you!! This is so helpful -- I can fly RT to YYZ for $600 in business pretty much any time over the next three months, on WestJet operated by WestJet, see example:

Now, Google Flights gives this to me under both "first" and "business" (as happens with all domestic US first class), and takes me to the Delta website for booking. There, this is marked as Z fare with DL code, operated by WestJet Encore:

Z fare would be great, and effectively would get me 30XP; operated by WestJet Encore seems right like you suggested; but are there any issues with the DL code, or is it just a codeshare?

Not ready to book yet, but I can fork $600 and I've never been to Toronto, so this seems like a fine plan!
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Consider hopping up to Toronto or Montreal, typically cheaper fares and sometimes with connections in BOS, NYC etc.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by itaexpat
Thank you!! This is so helpful -- I can fly RT to YYZ for $600 in business pretty much any time over the next three months, on WestJet operated by WestJet, see example:

Now, Google Flights gives this to me under both "first" and "business" (as happens with all domestic US first class), and takes me to the Delta website for booking. There, this is marked as Z fare with DL code, operated by WestJet Encore:

Z fare would be great, and effectively would get me 30XP; operated by WestJet Encore seems right like you suggested; but are there any issues with the DL code, or is it just a codeshare?

Not ready to book yet, but I can fork $600 and I've never been to Toronto, so this seems like a fine plan!
You're very welcome!

Again, I am not totally sure, and if another FTer can confirm, that will be great, but my fear is that booking from Google Flights which re-directs you to the DL website is that the flights will be marketed under a DL code (indeed a codeshare). Under Flying Blue rules (and that is true across all SkyTeam members and their respective frequent flyer programs), you earn miles & XP only on flights that are marketed by a ST member and operated by a ST member.

In this case, a DL*** flight operated by WestJet would not qualify (exactly the same case as a DL marketed flight operated by Virgin – at least until VS becomes a FB partner under the new JV). This is why I advise you to book directly from the WestJet website.

As suggested by Caliform, you can also try to book on DL a BOS-LGA-YUL (or Toronto) RT in Domestic First Class for very cheap. On that one, you can book on DL because the flights will most likely be operated by DL (Endeavor Air/Delta Connection) so no worries to book via Google Flights/DL.com. You will accrue 6XP + 15XP + 15XP + 6XP = 42XP for the return trip!!!

Cheers
vinnyc

Last edited by vinnyc; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:49 am
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:47 am

As an example to my previous post, check the following itinerary on DL First Class (Domestic First) to Toronto ($776, connecting in DTW outbound and JFK return) or Montreal ($634, connecting in LGA both outbound and return).

Nice to spend a night in Toronto or Montreal!!!!

vinnyc
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:50 pm

I had to call FB to get credited for the first leg of a one-way YYC-JFK-DTW itinerary, where West Jet was first carrier and Delta the second. The DL coding on WS metal seems to cause an IT glitch when credited XP, but I did eventually receive XP after calling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.