Wiki Posts
Search

Should I Avoid Signing Up for SkyMiles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I have FB gold and fairly often fly with Delta (always booked through KLM).

I've been reluctant to sign up to SkyMiles in case wires get crossed and my FB miles and XP are incorrectly credited.

Has anyone had any issues in this regard? There are a couple of advantages to signing up for SkyMiles but would you guys suggest staying FB only?

Cheers in advance.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jeppo10

I've been reluctant to sign up to SkyMiles in case wires get crossed and my FB miles and XP are incorrectly credited.

Has anyone had any issues in this regard? There are a couple of advantages to signing up for SkyMiles but would you guys suggest staying FB only?
Based on the posts at the end of this thread "yes"

Simultaneous SkyMiles and Flying Blue accounts
Jeppo10 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Hi all,

I've been reluctant to sign up to SkyMiles in case wires get crossed and my FB miles and XP are incorrectly...
You've correctly identified that your miles will end up posting to the "incorrect" account.

Which makes it even less clear why you would even want to open a Skymiles account.

You clearly want to get miles in FB only. The overwhelming majority of people should focus their Skyteam earning into a single account, unless they have a very good reason for using a second.

You have no good reason for opening a Skymiles account.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28

Which makes it even less clear why you would even want to open a Skymiles account.

You have no good reason for opening a Skymiles account.
Cheers for the response. Mainly it's to be able to set upgrade preferences (C+, no middle seat), plus the app can be annoying if you're not signed in. Not big issues.

I appreciate the sound feedback.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've had people come the other way, from Skymiles, saying signing into the AF app (and apparently also thereby agreeing to create an FB account) was the only way to select seats; they then lose miles, having them post to FB rather than Skymiles due to managing their reservation with AFKL using their FB login, though it is entirely possible to manage any reservation without the need to create a new frequent flyer account to do so.

I do not know the Delta app, but I would be surprised if you had to sign in to do that. Of course, the app is designed for Skymiles users, and to encourage Delta flyers to take a Skymiles account, but it should be possible to avoid all such exhortations to create/log in using a Skymiles account, and just look up your reservation using PNR and surname.

You can certainly do so on the Delta website. I don't fly Delta much but never failed to secure seats without needing a Skymiles account.
Jeppo10 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You can certainly do so on the Delta website. I don't fly Delta much but never failed to secure seats without needing a Skymiles account.
Yep, you're quite right when it comes to selecting seats, that's no bother at all. Setting up upgrade preferences seems to require logging in, though.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, you're quite right when it comes to selecting seats, that's no bother at all. Setting up upgrade preferences seems to require logging in, though.
I'm not sure your "upgrade preferences" are going to matter much if you are doing so using a no-status Skymiles account, and thereby completing negating your Flying Blue status...
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, you're quite right when it comes to selecting seats, that's no bother at all.
As long as you don't get a view only seatmap.

Johan
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Cheers for the responses lads. I'll not be making a Sky Miles account after all!
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:14 pm

It's actually possible to set upgrade preferences without being logged in!
On the 'trip overview', select a leg to display the 'flight details' page. From there you'll have a link called 'Upgrade requested' (as I already did it), just above your seat number. This link displays the following page.

Just make sure you link this booking to FB first, to be eligible for upgrades.

Jeppo10 and Mad Oh like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.