FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Keeping my Flying blue miles from expiring would Delta work/how? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/2004330-keeping-my-flying-blue-miles-expiring-would-delta-work-how.html)

Soy Cuponera Jan 14, 2020 10:21 am

Keeping my Flying blue miles from expiring would Delta work/how?

How does it work when you fly with sky miles partner?
I recently flew with Delta and I’m not planing on a KLM or Air France flight soon.
Would my Delta flights count to extend the flying blue miles. How do I do it? When I go to my sky miles or flying blue I don’t see an option to add the other program number. I am regretting so much transferring my AMEX points to Flying blue that expire. As you can see for my questions, I am not very knowledgeable at this Mile thing.

irishguy28 Jan 14, 2020 11:22 am

Take any flight that earns miles in Flying Blue, and make sure you fly with only your Flying Blue number associated with the booking.

You must take this mileage-earning flight before the date of expiry of your Flying Blue miles.

Forget all about Skymiles. You need to earn miles in Flying Blue for the purpose of extending the lifetime of your Flying Blue miles. If your miles post to Skymiles, then they won't post to Flying Blue, and won't extend the mileage lifetime of your Flying Blue balance. Do not in any way use your Skymiles number/account when booking and flying this flight. If you book while logged in to your Delta/Skymiles account, or use/show your Skymiles account while flying, the miles will go to Skymiles. You need them to go to Flying Blue.

Soy Cuponera Jan 14, 2020 9:01 pm

Would renting a car with avis work?

Would renting a car with avis work to extend the flying blue miles or it has to be a flight?

TEDisgone Jan 14, 2020 9:19 pm

https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/commo...stay-valid.htm

(You can also extend the validity of the Miles earned with all other partners (airline partners not mentioned above, car rental partners, hotel partners and travel experience partners) by 2 years. These "partial expansion activities" extend the validity of the Miles earned with these partners by 2 years, starting from the date when said activities began. They will not extend the validity of the Miles earned with "global expansion activities".)

irishguy28 Jan 15, 2020 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Soy Cuponera (Post 31951799)
Would renting a car with avis work to extend the flying blue miles or it has to be a flight?

The answer I gave above set out the only easy method available to you to extend the lifetime of your miles.

So, no, it has to be a flight. Earning miles via any other method (car rental, hotel stay, transfer of points etc) will not extend the lifetime of your expiring balance.

(It is a frequent flyer programme, afterall - if you can't manage to fly once every 24 months, you're not a frequent flyer. If you don't intend to use your FB account frequently, then it is not the programme for you)

atflyer Jan 15, 2020 9:08 am

As Irishguy says it HAS to be a flight (or cc). See text from the FB site below. You need to be a lawyer to read it I guess, but my interpretation is that if you say do a car rental activity you ONLY extend the miles gained with car rental. To extend ALL your miles, you need to fly or use your co branded cc.(highlights by me).

https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/faq/cat...ll-about-miles

How long are my Miles valid?
All your Miles are valid for life as long as you take an eligible flight on Air France, KLM, Aircalin, Kenya Airways, TAROM or other airline partners at least once every 2 years, or if you're an Elite or Elite Plus member, or if you make a purchase with an eligible co-branded credit card at least once every 2 years. These "Overall extending activities" extend the validity of all Miles 2 years from the date of the activity

You can also extend the validity of Miles earned with all other partners (car rental partners, hotel partners, and experience partners) for 2 years by earning Miles with any of these other partners. These "Partial extending activities" with other partners will extend the validity of Miles earned with any of these other partners by 2 years from the date of the activity. Please note, "Partial extending activities" do not extend the validity of Miles earned from "Overall extending activities".

carnarvon Jan 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Soy Cuponera (Post 31949415)
How does it work when you fly with sky miles partner?
I recently flew with Delta and I’m not planing on a KLM or Air France flight soon.
Would my Delta flights count to extend the flying blue miles. How do I do it? When I go to my sky miles or flying blue I don’t see an option to add the other program number. I am regretting so much transferring my AMEX points to Flying blue that expire. As you can see for my questions, I am not very knowledgeable at this Mile thing.

One answer my friend : FLY!

P.S. make sure your flight is a qualifying flight ;)

Gig103 Jan 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Soy Cuponera (Post 31949415)

If your recent flight was credited to earn SkyMiles then it will not help your FB expiration. However if you flew without any FF program on your boarding pass then you should be able to retroactively claim credit for FB.