Better To Buy With Points Or Upgrade By From Economy

Old Jan 9, 20, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Better To Buy With Points Or Upgrade By From Economy

Hi All,

I'm planning a trip to Greece and I was wondering if it's better to buy economy class seats first and then call Flying Blue and have them check for upgrades to use less points or just use all of my points to get the tickets straight up?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:32 pm

Hi bbmac2020 and welcome!
You will have to provide a little more context to get an answer, starting with what you mean with "better". What are you trying to achieve exactly? Are you looking to save money? Maximize points usage? Where are you leaving from? Are you trying to upgrade to premium economy, business...? Are you traveling on popular dates? etc etc .
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Hi Klems ,

Sorry for missing that info. I'm looking to use maximize the value. This is an example: I'm flying from DC (IAD) to Athens in mid July. For a one way flight, they charge 69000 points + $256 for surcharge and fuel. However I can buy the economy class ticket for $1024. I value my points more than cash honestly as I will be transferring the points from a credit card. So I was wondering if I buy the $1k economy class ticket how much typically the upgrade with points would cost? I also prefer business class but don't mind premium economy either.

Please let me know if I missed any other info.
Old Jan 9, 20, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
If you want to travel in an upper class, it is always advisable to book upfront in the desired class (award or revenue ticket), rather than booking Y and trying to upgrade with miles.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 2:34 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by bbmac2020 View Post
Hi Klems ,

Sorry for missing that info. I'm looking to use maximize the value. This is an example: I'm flying from DC (IAD) to Athens in mid July. For a one way flight, they charge 69000 points + $256 for surcharge and fuel. However I can buy the economy class ticket for $1024. I value my points more than cash honestly as I will be transferring the points from a credit card. So I was wondering if I buy the $1k economy class ticket how much typically the upgrade with points would cost? I also prefer business class but don't mind premium economy either.

Please let me know if I missed any other info.
I agree with Goldorak on the higher class strategy - always book with points directly rather than betting on an upgrade on points. Re your options with points, the difference between a paid one way and points is almost 800$ for 69000. THat is quite good value frankly (maybe since the one-way is expensive, but that is what major carriers do - returns cheap, one-ways expensive). Normally I am happy if I get something like 100 Euro of value for 10.000 points.
Old Jan 9, 20, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by bbmac2020 View Post
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip to Greece and I was wondering if it's better to buy economy class seats first and then call Flying Blue and have them check for upgrades to use less points or just use all of my points to get the tickets straight up?

Thanks in advance!

You're asking if you should:
A) buy economy and try - and possibly fail - to upgrade, or
B) redeem outright into business.

Let me turn the question back on you:

Is it better to likely end up travelling in economy - spending cash and likely not being able to spend any miles;
or:
is it better to ensure from the outset that you travel in business, by spending miles only?
carnarvon likes this.
Old Jan 10, 20, 1:08 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
If you would chose to buy Y and upgrade later make sure that you know the availability and miles amount that will be needed beforehand. I'm pretty sure that you'd be spending much more by doing it that way.

For example, I believe that upgrades of Y flights are done per sector. So you'd have to upgrade IAD-AMS/CDG first, and then AMS/CDG-ATH secondly. Only that short segment to ATH is generally priced at an upgrade fee of 42K miles in my experience. And generally...its not available. At least not online.

When you buy the award outright you pretty much get the AMS/CDG-ATH sector included for free. So I think there you'll be able to save some points by directly buying the award from the start.
CanuckInParis likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: