Free Wifi

Old Jan 2, 20, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Free Wifi

On my last two flights I received free standard (not streaming) Wifi. Flights were IAH-AMS-JNB on 787 and 773. Both time I selected standard (no streaming option offered on the 787 flight) and instead of being redirected to pay, a free voucher appeared as if I had paid. on the JNB flight i selected streaming and it wanted me to pay. However, selecting standard I was again given free access.

I'm a Delta Diamond and was in J cabin.

Is this normal? Is this new? Did i just win the lotto?
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I had the same on a recent BOG-CDG flight. I was directly connected bypassing the payment page. I am FB Ultimate and I wondered if it was a glitch or a new Ulti benefit.
Old Jan 2, 20, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I had the same on a recent BOG-CDG flight. I was directly connected bypassing the payment page. I am FB Ultimate and I wondered if it was a glitch or a new Ulti benefit.
Good to hear. I asked the flight crew about this. None seemed to know anything about this. ]
Old Jan 3, 20, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
At that stage, until we have more data point, I tend to believe it’s a glitch.
Old Jan 3, 20, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
At that stage, until we have more data point, I tend to believe itís a glitch.
Agree, is why I posted here. I will book more with KLM metal over DL if this is an actual thing. If it's just a glitch, at least even have Wifi on the 773s finally. Plus I have no problem paying, ascspeed was great. Streaming was no issue when upgrading to the streaming speed.
Old Jan 3, 20, 5:15 am

Programs: FB Platinum
I got free WiFi CDG-HND two weeks ago so if it's a glitch then nobody is doing much about it. I'm quite happy to have the messaging only connection tbh.
Old Jan 5, 20, 6:12 am

Programs: United 1K
Hope it's still free when I fly to AMS tomorrow.
Old Jan 5, 20, 9:47 am

Programs: FB Plat
Had it on AMS-JFK (787) yesterday. Click through to the the full package and then bam, all activated. I didn't enter my FB details, just PNR.
Old Jan 5, 20, 10:57 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by NumbThumb View Post
Had it on AMS-JFK (787) yesterday. Click through to the the full package and then bam, all activated. I didn't enter my FB details, just PNR.
Fingers crossed for ORD-AMS (787) this afternoon then!
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Solevita View Post
Fingers crossed for ORD-AMS (787) this afternoon then!
Selected full flight wifi, logged in with FB details, and sure enough a voucher for full flight wifi was just there activating itself. FB Plat in J...
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:32 pm

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Could it be a new J benefit? When you enter the PNR they will be able to see the class of service..

I don't think its uncommon for airlines to offer some version of free wifi to J pax.
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
Could it be a new J benefit? When you enter the PNR they will be able to see the class of service..

I don't think its uncommon for airlines to offer some version of free wifi to J pax.
If it was a J benefit then you'd expect them to shout about it, or maybe they're just silently trialling it to see how the demand is...
Old Jan 7, 20, 12:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Probably load test, etc. I highly doubt it's a glitch. And yep, also had 2/2 flights with wifi get free vouchers.
Old Jan 7, 20, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by caliform View Post
Probably load test, etc. I highly doubt it's a glitch. And yep, also had 2/2 flights with wifi get free vouchers.
In WBC? Would be interesting to determine if it may be a J or FB Plat benefit.
Old Jan 7, 20, 12:35 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
In WBC? Would be interesting to determine if it may be a J or FB Plat benefit.
I will be flying with my wife tomorrow in WBC. She is Gold, I am Plat, so should be able to work out if it is cabin or status. Or some sort of cock-up...

Edit: We both have free full WiFi for the duration of the flight, so it is a cock-up or a new J benefit, or Gold/Plat benefit. Hope that helps...

Last edited by PeteM01; Jan 8, 20 at 5:17 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: