Joint Venture flights - whose algorithms get used?

Old Dec 21, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Joint Venture flights - whose algorithms get used?

Wondering how this works on JV flights such as for instance between AF/KL and DL:
  • When I have an AF-issued ticket and fly on an AF-operated flight from CDG, upgrade offers, OPUPs, crew attention get treated by the AF system where my Flying Blue status, fare, and a couple of other things will matter.
  • On that same flight, but my ticket is issued by DL: will that make any difference? Will I be treated by the AF system with my AF status etc because it's an AF-operated flight? Or will I be treated like a DL passenger, irrespective of my status with AF, who in the pecking order comes below a pax with the same status but on an AF-issued ticket?
  • And, if there is a difference, what is it that will make a difference: the airline that operates the flight? Or the airline that does the check-in?
For instance, an ULTI with a DL ticket on an Air France plane - would you be treated like an ULTI?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Very good questions and I am not sure anyone has the answer here. I tend to believe (but I am not 100% sure) that your FB status is recognized the same on-board AF, irrespective of being ticketed under AF or DL code. For your last question (Ultimate), I cannot be sure as I have totally avoided the situation of flying AF with a DL ticket (as those are not eligible to UXP earning).
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Interesting question. I have had an experience that's a bit different, but could give you an idea on how the systems/SOP are setup;
  • FB Platinum member with a bunch of miles banked
  • Booked economy return AMS-JFK on DL with cash, return flight was KL operated, but DL flight number
  • Called FB to request upgrade for JFK-AMS, agent said there's availability and since this is KL operated was no problem. Upgrade got processed and got WBC on the 789.
  • Interestingly enough, ticket got reissued with a 074 number, instead of the original 006 number.
  • Arriving at JFK to check-in for the flight to AMS, the check-in agent is confused and doesn't see the upgrade. After asking questions about which seats we get, they mention we get seats assigned at the gate (this is strange, since I pre-selected the seats after the upgrade)
  • After pushing for seat confirmation, the agent re-issues the ticket again in the DL reserveration system and puts us on different seats - overheard a conversation where they had to switch between DL & KL reservation systems and the unclarity between the two.
This all let me believe that operating airlines algorithm is used and not the marketed airline.
No experience with ULTI I'm afraid
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
double post
Old Dec 24, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Well, I can comment on this. A week ago I asked the travel agent (which is used by my company) to rebook IAH-CDG to another day. And behold, they rebooked what was an AF issued ticket on AF metal, to the same AF metal on another day, but DL coded, because it made the change cheaper (Like, 1000's cheaper). Don't ask me how that works, but it worked. I felt like my status was recognised. Got the warm welcome speech, and was amongst the first to choose my menu preferences. I didn't get UXP's obviously, but that's not so interesting to pursue after all...

This might not be the full story, because the original ticket was AF. But I can report soon again. Got a fully DL coded ticket on AF metal early January. Booked for the same reasons: huge price difference. Will keep you posted on my findings.

Last edited by Zembla; Dec 24, 2019 at 1:43 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.