Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue Platinum/Kenya Airways

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, FB, UA
Flying Blue Platinum/Kenya Airways

So I made FB Platinum without planning just because I flew Kenya Airways a lot. When I got the status I looked it up but it seems that especially if you are mostly flying KQ, there are almost no additional benefits other than the soft landing to gold? Is there something else I'm missing about the jump from gold? It seems particularly barren as a status jump :-)
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neflyer13
It seems particularly barren as a status jump
That sums it up nicely!

Johan
Thysk likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:51 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
You would get 25% extra award miles. And since Flying Blue is also KQ's FFP.. Theoretically you would have a higher chance for upgrades.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Theoretically you would have a higher chance for upgrades.
I don't disagree with your reasoning.

But KQ has got a 2-class configuration in all planes. The higher class makes up just 10-15 per cent of seats.

So, in difference to 3- or even 4-class configurations on AF-KL, there's no chance of an op-up unless you're in the lowest cabin class. And even if you're in the lowest cabin class, one might conjecture the op-up probability is lower than on AF-KL (because AF-KL cabins are premium-heavier).
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by R.O.
I don't disagree with your reasoning.

But KQ has got a 2-class configuration in all planes. The higher class makes up just 10-15 per cent of seats.

So, in difference to 3- or even 4-class configurations on AF-KL, there's no chance of an op-up unless you're in the lowest cabin class. And even if you're in the lowest cabin class, one might conjecture the op-up probability is lower than on AF-KL (because AF-KL cabins are premium-heavier).
KL is also 2-class configuration, it's only AF that has PE and J.
And actually KQ op-up rate (at least on African flights) has been way better than AF/KL for me, with the added benefit of course that they have a recliner seats on those flights and not just a blocked middle seat.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by neflyer13
So I made FB Platinum without planning just because I flew Kenya Airways a lot. When I got the status I looked it up but it seems that especially if you are mostly flying KQ, there are almost no additional benefits other than the soft landing to gold? Is there something else I'm missing about the jump from gold? It seems particularly barren as a status jump :-)
You do get access to the platinum line and free EC seats on KL flights (and now also on KQ flights), not sure if the former is helpful for KQ flights but it's probably the best benefit if you ever fly KL/AF or book award tickets.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Ditto
You do get access to the platinum line and free EC seats on KL flights (and now also on KQ flights), not sure if the former is helpful for KQ flights but it's probably the best benefit if you ever fly KL/AF or book award tickets.
Agree, getting Economy Comfort on KQ 787 (additional legroom) or Super Economy (737) for free, as well as "premium" seats on AF/KL is a good perk. So is the ability to use the Platinum line if you're traveling KL/AF (they are however usually clueless when it comes to KQ). I have been platinum for 3 years now, mostly flying KQ to Europe in Y, and was never upgraded to J.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:36 am

As a Platinum (about 3-4 years ago, currently Gold), I had relatively frequent upgrades with KQ. I did not keep a record of it, so cannot quantify it, but it was certainly significant.
They seem to overbook a lot, esp. on regional routes.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: FB Plat
As a Plat member, I had the great privilege of being able to select for free a seat in advance on my last KQ flight (NBO-xxx after a CDG-NBO with AF on KQ codeshare). This led me to:
- not being able to checkin online,
- not being able to retrieve my BP at an automatic counter at CDG,
- having to spend about 20 minutes at a human counter with a friendly agent trying to edit my BP without any success,
- having to rush during my connection at NBO so that I could find an agent able to print my BP,
- finally discovering that the system considered I didn't pay for the seat I selected and thus blocked everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.