Qantas and Flying Blue: new partnership

Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:12 pm

Qantas has already added a section on their website for Air France/KLM frequent flyer numbers... rather odd as I thought Flying Blue was a single program covering both airlines?

The question now is how long will it take AF/KLM to update their own website to add a section for QF frequent flyer numbers.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Alinsfca
Do you need to be on a code share flight to accrue miles and XP? From what I read, I don’t think you have to. I lives in SFO, so I should be able to fly Qanta to Sydney and credit my flight to FB and gain miles and XP. Isn’t that correct?
No, you don’t need to fly on a code share to earn XP: as long as the fare class is miles earning, you will earn XP for a qualifying QF flight.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
To earn XP while flying Qantas, it needs to be a QF coded flight operated by Qantas (not Jetstar, or any other partner airline on which QF sells tickets), Air France or KLM.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henrus
Qantas has already added a section on their website for Air France/KLM frequent flyer numbers... rather odd as I thought Flying Blue was a single program covering both airlines?
Yes, but Flying Blue is not an airline. Hence, your programme number can be associated freely with any/all of: Air France, KLM, Kenya Airways, TAROM, AirCalin (though not all of these options will always be offered)

The "norm" is that each airline has its own programme, so when you are invited to enter your frequent flyer details, the options are most often presented/listed by airline rather than by frequent flyer programme. Sometimes it's a combination of both (i.e "Air France Flying Blue/Delta Skymiles/Alitalia Millemigilia/KLM Flying Blue etc ).

Internally, your 10-digit Flying Blue number can be preceded by either "AF" or "KL" (and, presumably, KQ, RO, or SB), as you will see on some of your e-tickets. Here are some samples of mine, both showing my Flying Blue number (blanked out), as emailed by Amadeus after schedule changes/cancellations...

Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Yes, but Flying Blue is not an airline. Hence, your programme number can be associated freely with any/all of: Air France, KLM, Kenya Airways, TAROM, AirCalin (though not all of these options will always be offered)

Ah ok thanks - makes more sense, I guess Air France has confused me for a few years with just the option of "Flying Blue" on their own website.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Alinsfca
Do you need to be on a code share flight to accrue miles and XP? From what I read, I don’t think you have to. I lives in SFO, so I should be able to fly Qanta to Sydney and credit my flight to FB and gain miles and XP. Isn’t that correct?
Yes correct. No more code-share needed.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Here is a 1st list of AF KL code share flights with Jetstar Asia from/to SIN
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...from-jan-2020/
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...from-dec-2019/

Last edited by Goldorak; Dec 28, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Here is a 1st list of AF KL code share flights with Jetstar from/to SIN
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...from-jan-2020/
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...from-dec-2019/
A minor technicality: This is Jetstar Asia (3K) which is 49%owned by Quantas, a tiny bitdifferent from Jetstar Airways.(JQ).
On the other hand KL (not AF) has a codeshare agreement with Jetstar Airways from DPS to Australia. Only KL flies to DPS.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by brunos
A minor technicality: This is Jetstar Asia (3K) which is 49%owned by Quantas, a tiny bitdifferent from Jetstar Airways.(JQ).
On the other hand KL (not AF) has a codeshare agreement with Jetstar Airways from DPS to Australia. Only KL flies to DPS.
Thank you. Important to say indeed. I have edited my post.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:53 am

Suprisingly still no ability to add a Qantas number to an Air France or KLM booking online.

Has anyone else had any luck?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Qantas granted me priority boarding on a QF flight with a QF ticket where I put my FB number. I was flying economy and my BP showed "AF Plat" on the notes.
[update]
I also automatically received 2XPs and the miles for the domestic flight
greggyfroggy likes this.

Last edited by Andy82; Jan 6, 2020 at 3:21 pm
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:17 am

So there is no lounge for KLM flts in the Schengen area in AMS for QF elite members ? The calculator also shows 0 SCs awarded. I kind of wish they can implement Emirates level of benefits.

Last edited by CXCPA; Jan 6, 2020 at 3:21 am
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
QF Business Lounge access granted

Flying today from MEL, economy segment, AF ticket.
Got business check-in, fast lane for security, and - surprisingly - lounge access with zero troubles.

The lounge is definitely not bad. Got great breakfast bowl as plate of the day, some more buffet breakfast, and relatively good espresso (done by barista). Nice!
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Andy82
Flying today from MEL, economy segment, AF ticket.
Got business check-in, fast lane for security, and - surprisingly - lounge access with zero troubles.

The lounge is definitely not bad. Got great breakfast bowl as plate of the day, some more buffet breakfast, and relatively good espresso (done by barista). Nice!
A bit OT, but QF, together with NZ, lounges are the only ones that have coffee worth drinking from my experience of around ~250 lounges worldwide. Emirates First Class lounge takes remote third spot. In fact, those lounges will give many downtown coffeeshops a run for their money (not mentioning NZ's experience of having your coffee ordered via app and have it ready by the time you enter the lounge).
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henrus
Suprisingly still no ability to add a Qantas number to an Air France or KLM booking online.

Has anyone else had any luck?
It's not necessary to associate your booking at the time of purchase.

You can associate your number at any other time, up to and including during check-in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.