FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Sky priority in W but not in U on KLM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1998321-sky-priority-w-but-not-u-klm.html)

Jolikiwi1980 Dec 5, 19 2:37 am

Sky priority in W but not in U on KLM
 
Hello, i travelled with KLM a few weeks back for a EU trip (NCE-AMS-BRU/BRU-AMS-MRS) in economy. My reservation had sky priority on all 4 flights.

i am tomorrow flying LHR-AMS-CDG, also in Economy, but no Sky Priority this time.

I am FB Silver, so at first i thought that KLM gave sky priority to Elite FB members in addition to Elite plus, but this flight says otherwise.

my booking class for my first flight was W and for the one tomorrow itís U. I guess it has to do with that but could some savvy Flyertalker explain to me how it works ?

thanks in advance !

MSPeconomist Dec 5, 19 2:49 am

NCE, BRU, and MRS are smaller stations for KLM than LHR, (AMS), and CDG, so KLM might honor SkyPriority for Elites (rather than just ElitePlus) at these smaller airports. DL tends to do this in the USA, with smaller airports often being signposted for Silver/Elite to use SkyPriority lines at such outstations.

Jolikiwi1980 Dec 5, 19 2:51 am


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31807228)
NCE, BRU, and MRS are smaller stations for KLM than LHR, (AMS), and CDG, so KLM might honor SkyPriority for Elites (rather than just ElitePlus) at these smaller airports. DL tends to do this in the USA, with smaller airports often being signposted for Silver/Elite to use SkyPriority lines at such outstations.

but i was sky priority in AMS too, and my reservation +BP were Sky Priority -marked

MSPeconomist Dec 5, 19 3:04 am


Originally Posted by Jolikiwi1980 (Post 31807234)
but i was sky priority in AMS too, and my reservation +BP were Sky Priority -marked

On the first reservation you were just making a Schengen to Schengen connection in AMS, while on the second you went through passport control to enter Schengen. Arguably it didn't matter on the first, although SkyPriority doesn't seem to matter for the intraterminal passport control at AMS (unlike CDG). LHR and CDG would have many more customers checking in, checking bags, and going through airport security (for the countries where there's a separate line for SkyPriority security like in AMS and CDG for instance).

Jolikiwi1980 Dec 5, 19 3:49 am


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31807252)
On the first reservation you were just making a Schengen to Schengen connection in AMS, while on the second you went through passport control to enter Schengen. Arguably it didn't matter on the first, although SkyPriority doesn't seem to matter for the intraterminal passport control at AMS (unlike CDG). LHR and CDG would have many more customers checking in, checking bags, and going through airport security (for the countries where there's a separate line for SkyPriority security like in AMS and CDG for instance).

so it has nothing to do with my booking class and everything to do with the airports I was flying through ?

MSPeconomist Dec 5, 19 4:01 am

That's my best guess from the way it works with DL. Others here might say otherwise based on knowledge about specifically how KLM handles this for its own FB SkyTeam Elites. Or the SkyPriority on boarding passes for one of your trips could just be a computer glitch, never to be seen again.

Is there anything about this that you can find in the KLM/FB/SkyTeam rules? I know the DL rules refer to Silvers (and SkyTeam Elites) getting expedited lines at most airports (without saying whether they can use SkyPriority lines or not, but the signage in most USA airports clarifies this) and boarding in the group right after ElitePlus. There's no explicit mention of Silver and Elite specifically getting the SkyPriority handling package, but as I said earlier, it's the same lines in many USA airports while other USA airports have set up special lines just for Silvers and partner SkyTeam Elites.

Gajan Dec 5, 19 5:05 am

Did you maybe book a Flex ticket (as they grant SkyPriority benefits for European flights)?

irishguy28 Dec 5, 19 5:26 am


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31807228)
NCE, BRU, and MRS are smaller stations for KLM than LHR, (AMS), and CDG, so KLM might honor SkyPriority for Elites (rather than just ElitePlus) at these smaller airports.

It doesn't work like that.

SkyPriority is for passengers holding an Economy Flex or Business Class ticket, or for customers with Gold or Platinum status.

Jolikiwi1980 Dec 5, 19 6:01 am


Originally Posted by Gajan (Post 31807434)
Did you maybe book a Flex ticket (as they grant SkyPriority benefits for European flights)?

that must be it ! Is economy flex W (or do booking classes not work that way ?

irishguy28 Dec 5, 19 8:46 am


Originally Posted by Jolikiwi1980 (Post 31807541)
that must be it ! Is economy flex W (or do booking classes not work that way ?

Any economy ticket can be Flex. You must choose between Light, Standard and Flex for every economy ticket sold by KLM.

(When sold by third parties, they are generally only offered as "Light" by default)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...331110e47b.jpg

Fabo.sk Dec 5, 19 8:48 am


Originally Posted by Jolikiwi1980 (Post 31807541)
that must be it ! Is economy flex W (or do booking classes not work that way ?

Letters don't matter. You can have a light Y or full flex K, whatever. It's just an ancillary.

Flex gets SkyPrio. Also Gold and other SkyTeam Elite Plus.
Silver doesn't get SkyPriority and neither does Classic Y.

FB Silver do get some preferential treatment in particular at hubs (priority checkin for example), but that's not Sky Priority and will not show up on BP.

Xandrios Dec 5, 19 10:24 am

Even when not booking Flex you can have Skypriority as a non-elite. Any corporate TA will be able to purchase SkyPriority with a small fee, or they may even include it by default. I know that our TA at work does this for most KLM tickets, and I am very sure that they are not booking Flex.

Jolikiwi1980 Dec 5, 19 12:42 pm


Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 31808436)
Even when not booking Flex you can have Skypriority as a non-elite. Any corporate TA will be able to purchase SkyPriority with a small fee, or they may even include it by default. I know that our TA at work does this for most KLM tickets, and I am very sure that they are not booking Flex.

it must be the flex, because my TA on both tickets is the same (work) and would have added SkyPriority consistently if that was the case : this was the first time it happened.

thanks for the enlightenment !


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:08 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.