Extend the XP earning period?

Old Nov 24, 19, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Extend the XP earning period?

Hi all,

I would earn enough XP to get to the next tier, but only if I could extend my earning period by a month (my return flight is in mid-January).

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Has anyone tried this before?

I searched for a similar thread in the forum, but could only find talk of preventing the expiration of miles.

Thanks,
David
Old Nov 24, 19, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by astrodave View Post
Hi all,

I would earn enough XP to get to the next tier, but only if I could extend my earning period by a month (my return flight is in mid-January).

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Has anyone tried this before?

I searched for a similar thread in the forum, but could only find talk of preventing the expiration of miles.

Thanks,
David
hi David,

officially not possible. Do you already have a booking for early January, does it involve a small amount of XP and will get that small amount you to your next tier? Then you could call KLM/AF to explain and ask for extension. But it is not a given they will say yes.

another possibility is to get An Amex FB card if you live in the Netherlands. That gets you 15, 30 or 60 XP signup bonus (next to miles). The silver (15) and gold (30) are free or charge for year one. You will have to hurry though and ask for the card ASAP.
Old Nov 24, 19, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you kindly for you reply, Nvgfocus.

That's right, I'll be 15 XP short of the next level, but will earn 17 XP in mid January. I just called FB and, without having given over my FB number, I was told it's not possible to extend the earning period.

I did look into getting a credit card, but I think it's only for people that live in the Netherlands (as you said), France, or the USA. If someone knows of a card valid for people in the UK, then please let me know.
Old Nov 24, 19, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by astrodave View Post
Thank you kindly for you reply, Nvgfocus.

That's right, I'll be 15 XP short of the next level, but will earn 17 XP in mid January. I just called FB and, without having given over my FB number, I was told it's not possible to extend the earning period.

I did look into getting a credit card, but I think it's only for people that live in the Netherlands (as you said), France, or the USA. If someone knows of a card valid for people in the UK, then please let me know.
as far as I know you do need a Dutch/French address for this credit card
Old Nov 25, 19, 12:08 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Call again 😉
Old Nov 25, 19, 9:57 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
They will not do this. Even if you have another call, with someone who is ok with this, that is not a guarantee. Unfortunately the Accor/FB thing only will advance you 10 XP, so it seems the only option is to leave things or to add a flight in December.
Old Nov 25, 19, 10:53 pm

Programs: Many
Buy an AF discount pass and get instant 20XP.
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by bodory View Post
Indeed, they are now at EUR 299 for 20 XP here.

Alternatively, any round trip with at least one stop-over would get you there. You can take a same day one like this if you do need the status (that will be the same price as the pass, and the same # of XP, but you get to enjoy a quick day trip to FRA)
mfkne likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 3:24 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by bodory View Post
True. If you want to actually use the France-Europe discount card in addition to earning the needed XP, please keep in mind that the starting point for a ticket with a discount should be in Metropolitan France. The rationale behind this choice, which I strongly disagree with, is that this offer is made by the Sales unit for France.
Old Nov 27, 19, 2:55 am

The Caribbean version is even cheaper and brings 20 XP as well.
Old Nov 27, 19, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31 View Post
True. If you want to actually use the France-Europe discount card in addition to earning the needed XP, please keep in mind that the starting point for a ticket with a discount should be in Metropolitan France. The rationale behind this choice, which I strongly disagree with, is that this offer is made by the Sales unit for France.
I did not know that. This is crazy
Old Nov 28, 19, 3:10 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB Plat.), LH MM, Iberia plus, HH & Bonvoy Gold, Chevalier de la zagte berm
Originally Posted by Nvgfocus View Post
as far as I know you do need a Dutch/French address for this credit card
Not true. I have the Dutch card but never lived in NL. At the time, you did need a bank account in NL (or in FR). In the meantime, with IBAN/BIC they can charge whatever EU bank account (in my case it's in Belgium).
Just call FB Amex in Amsterdam and present your case.
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
The user @canadavid noted in an unrelated post that there is an offer of Carte Abonné (high volume discount card) where you get an XP bonus for buying it.

"UPDATE: There is also a discount on all "abonnes" cards (Link) --> Easy way to get 20xp without flying for those who are short of a couple of xp to requalify before yearend." (From this post)

It will cost you 200 euros to get the cheapest of these cards, but it will come with a 20 XP bonus. If the status you're trying to obtain is worth this to you, then this appears to be a way to get yourself 20XP without having to fly

https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/fr/local..._airfrance.htm

Last edited by gaukuser; Dec 2, 19 at 1:02 am Reason: edited price
Old Dec 2, 19, 8:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue
So connecting through Paris from Amsterdam does not give discount? Would a flight from Amsterdam to any city in France via Paris give the extra 2xp (so 4 instead of the normal domestic 2xp)?
Old Dec 2, 19, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Berent View Post
So connecting through Paris from Amsterdam does not give discount? Would a flight from Amsterdam to any city in France via Paris give the extra 2xp (so 4 instead of the normal domestic 2xp)?
The 2 extra XP are due to the fact that you do have a discount card (Abonné), not that you are using a fare allowed by that discount card ;-).
So yes, you will get them, flying from AMS to any city in France via CDG if you have a discount card.

But no, you cannot use an Abonné fare when the first departure airport is AMS. With the app or the web site, you get an error message that says the airport could not be identified.

Last edited by JOUY31; Dec 2, 19 at 2:03 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: