XPs and Lounge Access with partial OCI upgrades

Old Nov 23, 19, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver
XPs and Lounge Access with partial OCI upgrades

Hi all,

I've got a quick question regarding the exact upsides of buying an OCI upgrade. Specifically I've got DUS-AMS-EDI booked in Y, and can separately upgrade the legs to J for different prices (42€/50.50€). I usually wouldn't bother for such short legs, but with the remaining flights booked this year would be just a few XPs (3) short of requalification for my measly Silver status (I didn't do a lot of flying this year, but expect that to go up again next year and would like to keep the additional piece of luggage), so just want to make sure - buying an upgrade for one of these should give me 15 rather than 5XP on the relevant leg, and thus be sufficient for me to reach the needed XPs - is that the case, or would these OCI upgrades be treated differently? I don't expect it, just want to make sure not to waste the money.

Secondly, if I do, I was thinking that I should do it for the second leg, expecting that that might give me lounge access in AMS, where I will have 2.5 hours to kill. Is my assumption correct that upgrading the second leg would do that, while upgrading the first would not?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Sebastian
Old Nov 23, 19, 9:24 am

Programs: FB Gold (SkyTeam Elite Plus)
Hi!
Nope for your 1st question! FB website states that :
  • Please note: XP are gained based on the original cabin booked and not on any cabin upgrades made after initial purchase.
Old Nov 23, 19, 10:46 am

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
And I wouldn’t spend any money for lounge access in AMS. The Schengen lounge isn’t particularly exciting and the brand new non Schengen “Flagship” lounge has been debated in a separate thread with the conclusion (that I share) that this was a huge missed opportunity.
Old Nov 23, 19, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies! What a shame on the XPs, thanks for pointing that out DoctorBueno. It would have been too easy I guess. No point in getting the upgrade then - have been in the AMS lounge, and I agree it's definitely not worth that amount of money if it is just for that. It it would have been a question of a difference of 8€ I would have done it though, just considering what food costs at AMS outside the lounge.
DoctorBueno likes this.
Old Nov 23, 19, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Desperate follow-up question. I do have a flight booked that would push me over the required amount of XPs in the first week of January - any experience whether there is any chance of having those included into the count for this year? I believe I have read about airlines (not sure which ones) sometimes being willing to do this, even though I guess for flyers with a much larger flight volume. (You don't get if you don't ask though, so I might just give it a shot.) If not, it's just bad luck and maybe an opportunity to free myself from forcing myself to fly KLM when it sometimes isn't the best choice.
Old Nov 23, 19, 11:31 am

Programs: FB Gold (SkyTeam Elite Plus)
Sorry to be once again the provider of bad news but... not a chance Even though, I've never experienced this case, I have read they were very strict about the date of reset and never extend this date even for a single day...
Old Nov 23, 19, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue Gold, easyJet Flight Club
Have you linked your account to accor hotels yet? 10 easy XP available there...

Originally Posted by The doomed View Post
Have you linked your account to accor hotels yet? 10 easy XP available there...
FB and Accor 'Miles+Points'

Last edited by Gajan; Nov 24, 19 at 11:51 pm
Old Nov 24, 19, 10:26 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Ratatoskr View Post
Desperate follow-up question. I do have a flight booked that would push me over the required amount of XPs in the first week of January - any experience whether there is any chance of having those included into the count for this year? I believe I have read about airlines (not sure which ones) sometimes being willing to do this, even though I guess for flyers with a much larger flight volume. (You don't get if you don't ask though, so I might just give it a shot.) If not, it's just bad luck and maybe an opportunity to free myself from forcing myself to fly KLM when it sometimes isn't the best choice.
No, it is the flight date that counts. There are some reports that KLM will give you an XP or 2 for free if you are below threshold (they made me plat last year where I had deliberately engineered to end on 299 XP by adding 1 XP - which by now I value since the EC coming with plat is usually nice). But a difference of 3 is a bit steep for gambling on this. Like others say, use the Accor link up program right away, before your next/last flight this year. You will get 5 XP extra on the first upcoming flight and you will be safe.
Old Nov 24, 19, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by DoctorBueno View Post
Hi!
Nope for your 1st question! FB website states that :
  • Please note: XP are gained based on the original cabin booked and not on any cabin upgrades made after initial purchase.
(my bolding)

You do not get additional XP when upgrading at OLCI. But, unless I am mistaken, paying the fare difference prior to the flight does give you the XP of the cabin you are upgrading to.
Gajan likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31 View Post
(my bolding)

You do not get additional XP when upgrading at OLCI. But, unless I am mistaken, paying the fare difference prior to the flight does give you the XP of the cabin you are upgrading to.
There seems a thin line what constitute buy up at OLCI and what is buying with a fare difference.....often I try to upgrade before OLCI by calling FB but then I have the feeling you only get an upgrade, not a new ticket.....sharing experiences here when you really have a new ticket and when you just upgrade is helpful
Old Nov 26, 19, 12:44 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by atflyer View Post
There seems a thin line what constitute buy up at OLCI and what is buying with a fare difference.....often I try to upgrade before OLCI by calling FB but then I have the feeling you only get an upgrade, not a new ticket.....sharing experiences here when you really have a new ticket and when you just upgrade is helpful
I often ‘upgrade’ my tickets after purchase as my employer will only pay Y or W. I obtain a ticket and then investigate the cost of changing it to a higher class at my own expense. The new ticket always gives the XP and miles of the higher class. By calling FB, I can sometimes get the change fee waived if the new ticket is issued within 24 hours.
Old Nov 26, 19, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by PeteM01 View Post
I often ‘upgrade’ my tickets after purchase as my employer will only pay Y or W. I obtain a ticket and then investigate the cost of changing it to a higher class at my own expense. The new ticket always gives the XP and miles of the higher class. By calling FB, I can sometimes get the change fee waived if the new ticket is issued within 24 hours.
Great, good to know this! I am usually in the same situation since my employers only pays Y - and it dawns on me that if I am really eager for being in J, I probably best should try to investigate the costs of a change asap. The alternative is to wait for a cheap buy up at OLCI obviously.
Old Nov 26, 19, 3:36 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by atflyer View Post
Great, good to know this! I am usually in the same situation since my employers only pays Y - and it dawns on me that if I am really eager for being in J, I probably best should try to investigate the costs of a change asap. The alternative is to wait for a cheap buy up at OLCI obviously.
I usually book well in advance, when cheaper J is available, so the costs are usually comparable with OLCI offers (or sometimes lower, given some of the terrible examples in this thread). Some availability is probably due to FB status, which seems to open Z class (not sure if this is Gold or Plat). Another advantage of this route for me is that I usually transfer at CDG or AMS, so both flights get upgraded with obvious XP benefits.
The doomed likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 4:16 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by PeteM01 View Post
Same here.
Old Nov 29, 19, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Hey all, sorry for the late reply (busy week) and thanks a lot for all that input! That is super useful and an interesting discussion going on.

I'm not surprised they apply the cutoff so strictly. Safes me trying to contact them about it though, my experiences with KLMs customer "service" aren't the fondest.
That advice of linking my account with Accor is fantastic - exactly the kind of reasons I love this forum. I hadn't done that yet, but it looks like that is exactly what I need. I'll go ahead and give that a shot before my next flight.
Paying the fare difference is also good advice - I had even thought about that myself but having looked at J fares was put off by the amount that would have been - which of course explains exactly why the OCLI checkin doesnt't give you the XPs... my plans are unfortunately most of the time relatively short notice, so when I buy J is already often steeply priced.

Thanks again everybody!
The doomed likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: