China Eastern / Shanghai airlines

Old Nov 14, 19, 1:28 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: AMS-LHR
Programs: BA Gold, KL/AF Gold
Posts: 356
China Eastern / Shanghai airlines

Hi, Iím travelling on KLM/China Eastern AMS-PVG/BKK I/J class v.v. early 2020. The return starts with BKK-PVG as codeshare flight on Shanghai Airlines. Will that particular segment earn XPís at all?
Great_circle is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 1:34 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: WAW and KBP
Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by Great_circle View Post
Hi, I’m travelling on KLM/China Eastern AMS-PVG/BKK I/J class v.v. early 2020. The return starts with BKK-PVG as codeshare flight on Shanghai Airlines. Will that particular segment earn XP’s at all?
check this = https://www.flyingblue.pl/en/partner...n/presentation

i think you will earn miles+XP but double check .

Iam not 100% sure because the following sentence is tricky

"Earn Miles and gain XP on flights marketed as China Eastern (MU) or Shanghai Airlines (FM) AND operated by one of the SkyTeam airline partners"
Great_circle likes this.
fifty_two is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 3:04 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold
Posts: 186
I've consistently received XP on MU flights (including a ridiculously low 2XP for a >3h domestic Y flight, but that's just how Flying Blue's definition of "domestic" works). But all of these have been on MU metal.
Great_circle likes this.
Mozart0815 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 5:08 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: AMS-LHR
Programs: BA Gold, KL/AF Gold
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by fifty_two View Post
check this = https://www.flyingblue.pl/en/partner...n/presentation

i think you will earn miles+XP but double check .

Iam not 100% sure because the following sentence is tricky

"Earn Miles and gain XP on flights marketed as China Eastern (MU) or Shanghai Airlines (FM) AND operated by one of the SkyTeam airline partners"
Thanks, itís a segment with a MU prefix but operated by Shanghai Airlines so itís unlikely. Unless Shanghai Airlines, while being part of China Eastern (as I understood), is therefore considered as part of Skyteam but I think not : -(
Great_circle is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 5:57 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by Great_circle View Post
Thanks, itís a segment with a MU prefix but operated by Shanghai Airlines so itís unlikely. Unless Shanghai Airlines, while being part of China Eastern (as I understood), is therefore considered as part of Skyteam but I think not : -(
My guess are if it is FM operated you'll be receiving 15XP for this leg. Keep us posted.
Great_circle likes this.
Mozart0815 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 7:33 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 24,202
Originally Posted by Chris0815 View Post
I've consistently received XP on MU flights (including a ridiculously low 2XP for a >3h domestic Y flight, but that's just how Flying Blue's definition of "domestic" works).
You yourself called it a domestic flight so I'm not sure why you would want FB to risk the ire of China by redefining the extent of China's reach and referring to a Chinese domestic flight as anything other than domestic!!!

Presumably instead you would be happy for FB to redefine the earning on domestic flights, rather than redefining what domestic flights are
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 7:42 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,517
Originally Posted by Great_circle View Post
Thanks, it’s a segment with a MU prefix but operated by Shanghai Airlines so it’s unlikely. Unless Shanghai Airlines, while being part of China Eastern (as I understood), is therefore considered as part of Skyteam but I think not : -(
FM, KN, and MU are all owned by China Eastern, but aren't part of each other.
Great_circle likes this.
moondog is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 7:52 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Somewhere...
Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Posts: 1,564
Full Miles...Full XP...just like MU.

Was on a FM flight a few weeks ago - no issues. Still save your BP until it credits as per SOP with MU.
Great_circle likes this.
CoMooter is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 10:36 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PRG
Programs: KL Platinum, LA Black, A3 Gold, BA Silver, IB Oro
Posts: 390


NO PROBLEM
Great_circle likes this.
747jetter is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 1:00 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Posts: 362
I also have the experience that Shanghai Airlines counts as MU. Also did KUL to PVG and scored 8 XP in Y, it is just the length for it. It was a MU ticket executed by Shanghai airlines. I do not have the experience in the case you would book with Shanghai Airlines directly
KUL - PVG MU9802 gespaarde Miles, op basis van reisafstand en boekingsklasse 22 april 2018 +2.065 Miles +8 XP




Great_circle likes this.
atflyer is offline  
Old Nov 14, 19, 11:41 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
You yourself called it a domestic flight so I'm not sure why you would want FB to risk the ire of China by redefining the extent of China's reach and referring to a Chinese domestic flight as anything other than domestic!!!

Presumably instead you would be happy for FB to redefine the earning on domestic flights, rather than redefining what domestic flights are
I just find the meaning of ďdomesticĒ a bit useless. No domestic flight in France is longer than a couple of minutes and Iím not sure if there even are domestic flights in the NL

Many domestic flights in China and the US are longer than even some of the longest intra European flights. So the XP system doesnít make a lot of sense here.

Anyhow; M&M just went for a similar point system that has a lot of inconsistencies.

I still think the original but now long lost concept of ďmilesĒ, ie longer flights count more, made a lot more sense.
Mozart0815 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 19, 3:36 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 24,202
Originally Posted by Chris0815 View Post
I just find the meaning of ďdomesticĒ a bit useless. No domestic flight in France is longer than a couple of minutes and Iím not sure if there even are domestic flights in the NL
There are no NL domestic flights.

And up until not so very long ago, French and Monagesque residents would earn nothing on AF domestic flights (FB members registered in other countries would).

As such, FB is against cheap and easy domestic accrual.

For passengers in countries where this is an issue (China as you say, US, etc), then perhaps FB is not the best fit.
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 19, 7:52 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shanghai and Bavaria
Programs: Spire A, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN, Ctrip Diamond VIP.
Posts: 2,990
FM fully earns XP and miles
Great_circle likes this.
Chinatrvl is offline  
Old Nov 15, 19, 10:07 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 14,263
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
And up until not so very long ago, French and Monagesque residents would earn nothing on AF domestic flights (FB members registered in other countries would).
we were not earning qualifying flights (segments), but we were earning status and award miles on FR domestic flights.
Great_circle likes this.
Goldorak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread