Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern / Shanghai airlines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
China Eastern / Shanghai airlines

Hi, I’m travelling on KLM/China Eastern AMS-PVG/BKK I/J class v.v. early 2020. The return starts with BKK-PVG as codeshare flight on Shanghai Airlines. Will that particular segment earn XP’s at all?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Great_circle
Hi, I’m travelling on KLM/China Eastern AMS-PVG/BKK I/J class v.v. early 2020. The return starts with BKK-PVG as codeshare flight on Shanghai Airlines. Will that particular segment earn XP’s at all?
check this = https://www.flyingblue.pl/en/partner...n/presentation

i think you will earn miles+XP but double check .

Iam not 100% sure because the following sentence is tricky

"Earn Miles and gain XP on flights marketed as China Eastern (MU) or Shanghai Airlines (FM) AND operated by one of the SkyTeam airline partners"
Great_circle likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I've consistently received XP on MU flights (including a ridiculously low 2XP for a >3h domestic Y flight, but that's just how Flying Blue's definition of "domestic" works). But all of these have been on MU metal.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by fifty_two
check this = https://www.flyingblue.pl/en/partner...n/presentation

i think you will earn miles+XP but double check .

Iam not 100% sure because the following sentence is tricky

"Earn Miles and gain XP on flights marketed as China Eastern (MU) or Shanghai Airlines (FM) AND operated by one of the SkyTeam airline partners"
Thanks, it’s a segment with a MU prefix but operated by Shanghai Airlines so it’s unlikely. Unless Shanghai Airlines, while being part of China Eastern (as I understood), is therefore considered as part of Skyteam but I think not : -(
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:57 am

Thanks, it’s a segment with a MU prefix but operated by Shanghai Airlines so it’s unlikely. Unless Shanghai Airlines, while being part of China Eastern (as I understood), is therefore considered as part of Skyteam but I think not : -(
My guess are if it is FM operated you'll be receiving 15XP for this leg. Keep us posted.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Chris0815
I've consistently received XP on MU flights (including a ridiculously low 2XP for a >3h domestic Y flight, but that's just how Flying Blue's definition of "domestic" works).
You yourself called it a domestic flight so I'm not sure why you would want FB to risk the ire of China by redefining the extent of China's reach and referring to a Chinese domestic flight as anything other than domestic!!!

Presumably instead you would be happy for FB to redefine the earning on domestic flights, rather than redefining what domestic flights are
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FM, KN, and MU are all owned by China Eastern, but aren't part of each other.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Full Miles...Full XP...just like MU.

Was on a FM flight a few weeks ago - no issues. Still save your BP until it credits as per SOP with MU.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite

NO PROBLEM
Great_circle likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I also have the experience that Shanghai Airlines counts as MU. Also did KUL to PVG and scored 8 XP in Y, it is just the length for it. It was a MU ticket executed by Shanghai airlines. I do not have the experience in the case you would book with Shanghai Airlines directly
KUL - PVG MU9802 gespaarde Miles, op basis van reisafstand en boekingsklasse 22 april 2018 +2.065 Miles +8 XP

Great_circle likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You yourself called it a domestic flight so I'm not sure why you would want FB to risk the ire of China by redefining the extent of China's reach and referring to a Chinese domestic flight as anything other than domestic!!!

Presumably instead you would be happy for FB to redefine the earning on domestic flights, rather than redefining what domestic flights are
I just find the meaning of “domestic” a bit useless. No domestic flight in France is longer than a couple of minutes and I’m not sure if there even are domestic flights in the NL

Many domestic flights in China and the US are longer than even some of the longest intra European flights. So the XP system doesn’t make a lot of sense here.

Anyhow; M&M just went for a similar point system that has a lot of inconsistencies.

I still think the original but now long lost concept of “miles”, ie longer flights count more, made a lot more sense.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Chris0815
I just find the meaning of “domestic” a bit useless. No domestic flight in France is longer than a couple of minutes and I’m not sure if there even are domestic flights in the NL
There are no NL domestic flights.

And up until not so very long ago, French and Monagesque residents would earn nothing on AF domestic flights (FB members registered in other countries would).

As such, FB is against cheap and easy domestic accrual.

For passengers in countries where this is an issue (China as you say, US, etc), then perhaps FB is not the best fit.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
FM fully earns XP and miles
Great_circle likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
And up until not so very long ago, French and Monagesque residents would earn nothing on AF domestic flights (FB members registered in other countries would).
we were not earning qualifying flights (segments), but we were earning status and award miles on FR domestic flights.
Great_circle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.