IB buys Air Europa

Old Nov 5, 19, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
IB buys Air Europa

I noticed:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/1...n-a-e1bn-deal/

If the deal closes, UX would leave ST. Maybe another reason why AF decided to fly ORY-MAD
Old Nov 5, 19, 6:24 am
8mh

Not good IMO.

I dislike investments by IAG and Delta. Both have a history of (partially or fully) cutting ties with the target's previous alliance.

I wouldn't care if LA left OW but joined ST. I wouldn't care if UX left ST but joined OW. I wouldn't care if, under LH's guidance, AZ left ST and joined *A.

But this process of investing in airlines and keeping them out of an alliance for the most part (e.g., IAG and EI) or forming a subsidiary where only own elites get benefits (e.g., MI and SQ, EW and LH group) is problematic from a customer perspective.

I might be able to keep some form of elite status with all three alliances. But it's not feasible to keep multiple elite statuses within an alliance as well. For most of us anyway.
Old Nov 5, 19, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Sorry, I did not see that this info was added to the UX thread.
Mods please feel free to delete.
Old Nov 5, 19, 9:36 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by 8mh View Post
But this process of investing in airlines and keeping them out of an alliance for the most part (e.g., IAG and EI) or forming a subsidiary where only own elites get benefits (e.g., MI and SQ, EW and LH group) is problematic from a customer perspective.

I might be able to keep some form of elite status with all three alliances. But it's not feasible to keep multiple elite statuses within an alliance as well. For most of us anyway.
I'm not happy about it either, but it does seem to be the point. I guess the big players are moving away from alliance module. They want pax to be loyal to the group, not the alliance.
Old Nov 5, 19, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
I noticed:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/1...n-a-e1bn-deal/

If the deal closes, UX would leave ST. Maybe another reason why AF decided to fly ORY-MAD
This has been discussed since yesterday in the main UX thread (as well as in the AF new/cancelled routes master thread for the ORY-MAD aspect).

Search this Thread