FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Skip last segment on award travel to save miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1993638-skip-last-segment-award-travel-save-miles.html)

flybie Oct 31, 2019 9:53 pm

Skip last segment on award travel to save miles

Hi I am looking at flight to CDG using flying blue miles, but if I do direct flight to cdg it requires more miles than say to Rome or Prague. So if I book one way only and carry on, can I just get to cdg and abandon the last segment? I don’t want any issues with air France and certainly don’t want any troubles with my account. Can I do that to save miles or should I get to cdg and tell agent there I have to give up my last segment with a reason? Thanks

garykung Oct 31, 2019 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by flybie (Post 31688527)
Hi I am looking at flight to CDG using flying blue miles, but if I do direct flight to cdg it requires more miles than say to Rome or Prague. So if I book one way only and no carry on, can I just get to cdg and abandon the last segment? I don’t want any issues with air France and certainly don’t want any troubles with my account. Can I do that to save miles or should I get to cdg and tell agent there I have to give up my last segment with a reason? Thanks

It depends on how strict FB enforces its policies. In theory, it is not allowed. You could be asked to pay the difference. Also - because you use miles, you may risk any disciplinary actions from FB, including membership revocation.

However - in the reality, will this happen? Then this is something I don't know.

canadavid Nov 1, 2019 4:04 am

did you try to check the price in miles with a connection to a train at cdg ? ("Reims (XIZ)" for instance)
In this case, you can still travel with luggage and get out to cdg without any issues because you are supposed to get a train...

irishguy28 Nov 1, 2019 5:43 am

Originally Posted by canadavid (Post 31689088)
did you try to check the price in miles with a connection to a train at cdg ? ("Reims (XIZ)" for instance)

All destinations in France are charged at the same mileage rate. The destination has to be in another country in order for there to be a reduction in the mileage amount.

arjen05 Nov 1, 2019 6:59 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 31689241)
All destinations in France are charged at the same mileage rate. The destination has to be in another country in order for there to be a reduction in the mileage amount.

Then Brussels by train (ZYR)?

flybie Nov 1, 2019 7:08 am

I didn’t know you can connect to a train!!! That’s very clever, but is it safe to say that I can “miss” a train and I am not gonna have account issues with AF?

danielflyer Nov 1, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by flybie (Post 31689472)
I didn’t know you can connect to a train!!! That’s very clever, but is it safe to say that I can “miss” a train and I am not gonna have account issues with AF?

AF won’t have access to this data. You’re overthinking things.

atflyer Nov 1, 2019 12:42 pm

This is the equivalent of throwaway or hidden city ticketing on normal tickets. If you do it once and a while, hardly a chance they come after you. If regular, I don't know. The trick with trains after a flight to Paris may be useful too - pick up your train ticket, don't board.

jak456 Nov 4, 2019 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry (Post 31689531)
AF won’t have access to this data. You’re overthinking things.

careful, this is only semi true. In CDG you have to pick up (check-in) your train ticket/boarding pass at a special AF Service Counter located in the train station. I am pretty sure, AF will notice if you don't do that (not sure whether it matters in view of the OT's Q, though). However, once you have checked-in for the train (i.e., got you train ticket/boarding pass) there is nothing stopping you from boarding a local RER train to get into the city or leave the train station by walking out.

In the actual TGV train connecting CDG with ZYR tickets are regularly not validated/checked by the SNCF (French nat. railway company) staff, thus I doubt FB would be put on alert of you skipping the last leg provided you got the ticket at the counter. This is different on the Thalys trains connecting ZYR/ZWE with AMS, here tickets are scanned and supposedly data is forwarded to KLM (I always ask for the ticket to be stamped to avoid issued in AMS with my connecting flights).

jak

brunos Nov 5, 2019 4:42 am

I assume that you book a one-way to CDG (with a ticket to FCO or PRG). You could not do it on a return ticket as return would be cancelled.

I wonder if anyone had actual experience of dropping the last leg of an award. Would be good to know if AF "retaliates" directly on the FB account.