Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue "Altitude" event in NYC in November

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Flying Blue "Altitude" event in NYC in November

Just received a Save the Date a November event -- Altitude, "an exclusive cocktail reception dedicated to our most loyal customers," in November in NYC -- Btw, I'm not a super special loyal customer -- I'm not anywhere near Ultimate, and I fly more Econ and Premium econ fares than Biz (but I do fly a lot)

Anyway, I have half a mind to attend, if only because as a (technical) product management professional, I know the leverage that folks who participate in user testing / user feedback actually do have on products.

I know that two items that are top of mind for me (if i'm even asked for my opinion) are:
- Super low XPs for transcon flights in the US (deemed 'domestic' on the same level as Paris to Lyon)
- default position to never op-up, when U.S. frequent flyer programs take the opposite tacks that empty premium cabin seats should get filled with elites (in reverse order of seniority). I've certainly read that this was deliberate on the part of Air France - that the premium cabins shouldn't ever be perceived to be 'free if you're lucky' - but this pushes U.S.-based frequent flyer in the arms of U.S. airline frequent flyer programs, to say the least.

Any other things that may be top of mind, in your opinion?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You seems to be Platinum, so you are a very loyal customer
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by gaukuser
I know that two items that are top of mind for me (if i'm even asked for my opinion) are:
- Super low XPs for transcon flights in the US (deemed 'domestic' on the same level as Paris to Lyon)
Agreed, but I am thinking that this might be entirely on purpose, to make people prioritize longer transat legs instead of long domestic connections?

- default position to never op-up, when U.S. frequent flyer programs take the opposite tacks that empty premium cabin seats should get filled with elites (in reverse order of seniority). I've certainly read that this was deliberate on the part of Air France - that the premium cabins shouldn't ever be perceived to be 'free if you're lucky' - but this pushes U.S.-based frequent flyer in the arms of U.S. airline frequent flyer programs, to say the least.
Thing is, those US flyers who care about this are already better off being in a US FFP. Delta will not prioritize FB members for upgrade over their own, even if FB started doing auto upgrades.Comparative situation will not get much better for FB elites versus DL elites compared to now.
Instead it would turn it's main market - the European market - on its head.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:27 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Agreed, but I am thinking that this might be entirely on purpose, to make people prioritize longer transat legs instead of long domestic connections?
Yes it is clearly the strategy , attract frequent flyers in their long haul flights and more expensives fares/classes
gaukuser likes this.

Last edited by fifty_two; Oct 15, 2019 at 8:02 am
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:16 am

I am invited to the event as well, which is really surprising to me since I don't feel like I'm that much of a loyal / high value customer. I'm pondering going, just unsure what to expect.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk

Thing is, those US flyers who care about this are already better off being in a US FFP. Delta will not prioritize FB members for upgrade over their own, even if FB started doing auto upgrades.Comparative situation will not get much better for FB elites versus DL elites compared to now.
Instead it would turn it's main market - the European market - on its head.
I see your point -- and re Op-ups on a U.S. carrier, for sure, a US program works out better.
But on the other hand, since AF is having an event _in NYC_ for US-based Air France Flying Blue members, it may be specifically their goal to hear this type of quandary.
My reason, such as it is, for having FF versus Delta is that AF/KL has many more own-metal flights to Paris/Amsterdam and I fly NYC-Paris a lot. If i decide to flip this to Delta's own Skymiles, I'm going to prioritize Delta's own-metal flights to Paris, and not AF. While they may be partners in their joint venture, I have to assume whoever ends up flying a passenger makes the cash. So, there's AF's opportunity right there to retain / grow their US-based flyers.
Obviously, this would have consequences beyond the U.S. - so you may likely be right that they wouldn't hear this point (or have heard this point and decided to pass), but again, this is an event for US-based members so we may as well speak our truth ...
Klems and Goldorak like this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
I have been invited as well and intend to show up, since it is literally across the street from my office, so I will go after work.
glennhaak likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:03 pm

Just RSVP'd as well. Never been to one of those so not sure what to expect, but the view from the 65th floor should be sweet .
Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I see your point -- and re Op-ups on a U.S. carrier, for sure, a US program works out better.
My reason, such as it is, for having FF versus Delta is that AF/KL has many more own-metal flights to Paris/Amsterdam and I fly NYC-Paris a lot. If i decide to flip this to Delta's own Skymiles, I'm going to prioritize Delta's own-metal flights to Paris, and not AF. While they may be partners in their joint venture, I have to assume whoever ends up flying a passenger makes the cash. So, there's AF's opportunity right there to retain / grow their US-based flyers.
They share cost and revenue in the JV. I don´t know how they actually distribute costs and revenue, but somehow operating carriers are reimbursed for the cost and they share the income as well. If they divide on the basis on who brought in the customers or not I do not know.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Right. But it would seem unlikely that the partners split the rev evenly without regard for who carries. Because if it were, it would actually be in the interest of JV partners to try and sell the other company's flights over your own, always, (you take the same amount of cash home, but none of the costs of carrying) ... So in this respect,I have to assume -- JV or not -- that Air France still has an outsize interest, within the JV, to get passengers on its own flights versus Delta's ...
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I was invited to the last one in SF and it was super lovely! I still have the booze they gave me... two big bottles of anejo tequila isn't something I go through that quickly
Old Oct 27, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by Klems
Just RSVP'd as well. Never been to one of those so not sure what to expect, but the view from the 65th floor should be sweet .
Wish one of these might come to Chicago...but not holding my breath...DL Diamonds/FB PLT rare breed in these parts no doubt...
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:17 am

Hope that the ones of you who went had a good time last night. It was my first, I wasn't sure what to expect but I thought it was a bit of a letdown somehow? There wasn't a whole lot going on besides the free booze. The crowd was also very... homogeneous - guess that was to be expected.

The possibilities to interact with management were limited since it was packed to the brim, and they were clearly focused on talking to people they already knew. There was an interesting moment towards the end where almost all of the AF / KLM management that was there rushed at the same time to talk and take pictures to a guy, so I assumed he was a VVVIP.

I gotta say the goodie bag was pretty nice: a thick tote bag with a La Caravelle bottle of champagne, a beer glass commemorating the 100 years of KLM, a book, some cookies and an AF branded external charger.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Dang, that's quite nice. I hope for another event in SF
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
There's a similar event in MAN to celebrate KLMs 100 years on Wednesday night. I'm looking forward to it.

Any locals on here attending?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.