Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Flying Blue Petroleum not accepting new members, will close in 2021

Old Oct 8, 19, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

https://www.flyingblue.co.uk/en/petroleum

Sad news

No more flying blue petroleum from 2021.
Old Oct 9, 19, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy View Post
https://www.flyingblue.co.uk/en/petroleum

Sad news

No more flying blue petroleum from 2021.
It's sad in a way, it was my first "status" who granted me access to lounges and SP. Even if it wasn't as logical with perks as we would except with such program (too few lounges with a too restricted access), it is quite illogical to delete such program due to the fact that among AF frequent travelers, especially on Africa routes, a lot of them are tied with Oil&Gas industry.
Old Oct 9, 19, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The end of an era, but i always assumed that the original impetus was the connection between KLM/Holland and the Indonesian oil industry. IIRC KLM (not AF) had the petroleum program, which gave access to special lounges in hotel function rooms rather than in the airport, long before the partnership with AF and the start of the FB FF program. I always thought that the structure of the program and its perks were very quirky, but it obviously worked for some in the industry.
Old Oct 9, 19, 3:55 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Why single out one business?
Old Oct 9, 19, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by KLBGO View Post
Why single out one business?
Because AFKL is looking towards the post-carbon economy ;-)
Old Oct 9, 19, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The end of an era, but i always assumed that the original impetus was the connection between KLM/Holland and the Indonesian oil industry. IIRC KLM (not AF) had the petroleum program, which gave access to special lounges in hotel function rooms rather than in the airport, long before the partnership with AF and the start of the FB FF program. I always thought that the structure of the program and its perks were very quirky, but it obviously worked for some in the industry.
AF had this program way before KL merger. I acknowledge this is bad news for petroleum members without FB status. But on the other side, I think it was time to have less people in the lounges and eligible to SP services.
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:17 am

Programs: Many
I wonder what are the triggers for this decision and whether sending a message towards post carbon economy is not one of them indeed.
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:51 am

Programs: FB Platinum
It is a weird card. They do not have similar offers for finance, telecom, shipping etc. So why oil? And in the meantime priority boarding are queing up. That is why they are removing the program.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:04 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver
It is a weird card. They do not have similar offers for finance, telecom, shipping etc. So why oil? And in the meantime priority boarding are queing up. That is why they are removing the program.
If that would be the problem they should rather remove priority boarding benefits for FB silver which means that everyone and their mother crowd the queues.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
FB Silver on the other hand still requires some amount of loyalty to the airline, whereas Petroleum simply requires a job in the correct industry.
irishguy28 and SDQBound like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC SAS had a petroleum program too, but I don't know whether it's still active. It could be interesting to compare them, and also to compare the AF and KLM versions pre-merger into FB.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa had a petroleum scheme but got rid of a few years ago.

I can understand the logic, however for me who doesnt yet have a status with AF/KL it was really giving me an incentive to ask my employer to send me AF/KL over BA to places, particularly on short haul European business trips (under 6 hours is economy sadly but me), however a last minute trip from Aberdeen to a European destination can still be several hundred euros.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:26 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: Free Agent
Back in my day (2000-2006) of extensive AF travel for a large french bank, the status printed on my boarding card (separate from FP Rouge status I had) was VIP. I believe that was the 'offer' for large corporations flying AF back in the day. Not sure what it gave me exactly (nothing like limo service for example) but I did have AF staff run after me out the door at CDG after I was IDBed by a rookie desk agent at check-in to drive me to the plane once
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Plat
Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
FB Silver on the other hand still requires some amount of loyalty to the airline, whereas Petroleum simply requires a job in the correct industry.
Club2000 and Skipper are also granted on job title rather than specific loyalty to the firm.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by arjen05 View Post
Club2000 and Skipper are also granted on job title rather than specific loyalty to the firm.
But the industry doesn't matter. Just how much revenue they expect you to generate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: