XP calculation

Old Oct 6, 19, 7:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Talking about calculating XPs, I flew from Moscow to Bangkok the other day and I see I have been credited 10XPs. I expected 12XPs on this route! Is it so short that it falls into a lower bracket? For me, it felt like a very long flight to Bangkok. I was down the back of Aeroflot Economy and it is extremely cramped. I highly recommend avoiding long haul SU economy.
Old Oct 6, 19, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Talking about calculating XPs, I flew from Moscow to Bangkok the other day and I see I have been credited 10XPs. I expected 12XPs on this route! Is it so short that it falls into a lower bracket? For me, it felt like a very long flight to Bangkok. I was down the back of Aeroflot Economy and it is extremely cramped. I highly recommend avoiding long haul SU economy.
For your next flight, make sure to take a look at the bottom of this page. You'll be able to know how many XP you'll earn. (https://www.flyingblue.co.uk/en/programme)

And the SVO-BKK route that you took is 4,415Miles so it is indeed Long 1 = 10XP in Economy.
Old Oct 6, 19, 12:12 pm
siw

Programs: AF-KL FB Plat.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 19, 9:07 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I see. In this case Economy long haul is really bad for XPs, but Economy is generally bad for XPs! Although I find round trip international connecting flights in Europe, e.g. GVA-AMS-BHX and back, relatively decent in Economy, yielding a block of 20XPs each time. Short haul is the way to go, to seriously collect XPs (business is especially lucrative).

Out of interest, this trip cost GBP276 (OW) and yielded a ratio of GBP18.4 per XP, not brilliant but not awful either (DUS-SVO-BKK Economy Class R). It gave about 2,700 miles, can’t quite remember exactly without signing in again (on an insecure network).
Old Oct 7, 19, 10:47 am
siw

Originally Posted by Coder33 View Post
For your next flight, make sure to take a look at the bottom of this page. You'll be able to know how many XP you'll earn. (https://www.flyingblue.co.uk/en/programme)

And the SVO-BKK route that you took is 4,415Miles so it is indeed Long 1 = 10XP in Economy.
Be aware that the distances used by Flying Blue are unknown until you fly (but not with AF or KL flights as these are now reveune based) because you can back calculate from the Miles you get along with the Sub-Cabin Booking Class and Elites Status bonus multipliers. Before the new Flying Blue in April 2018 there was an online calculator which presented the Award Miles and Level Miles, so distances that Flying Blue used could be calculated if you were interested (unfortunately it is long gone but it would be valid and useful for accurately calculating non-AF/KL flight earnt Miles before taking a flight). You state SVO-BKK is 4,415 mi (which is Long 2) if you are using that for the distance value it and close to what Great Circle Mapper says today (4,416 mi). However, Great Circle Mapper says AMS-BOS is 3,457 mi which would be Long 1 but the Flying Blue Flight Type Simulator gives this as Long 2 (=> 3,500 mi to < 5,000 mi) which is 43 mi different - I am not saying these must be the same. So the only way to know with certainty for the XP you will get is using the Flight Type Simulator and the XP chart.

Last edited by siw; Oct 7, 19 at 10:54 am Reason: Typo correction
Old Oct 7, 19, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by siw View Post
However, Great Circle Mapper says AMS-BOS is 3,457 mi which would be Long 1 but the Flying Blue Flight Type Simulator gives this as Long 2 (=> 3,500 mi to < 5,000 mi) which is 43 mi different - I am not saying these must be the same. So the only way to know with certainty for the XP you will get is using the Flight Type Simulator and the XP chart.
There are a number of "common sense" adjustment by FB for some routes which are very close to the threshold. For instance, all routes in the near Middle East are treated as Long 1 even though there are a couple (like CDG-BEY) which are just under the 2000 miles threshold. The same happens with BOS: all US East Coast destinations are in Long 2 even though BOS is a hair's breadth under the 3500 miles threshold from either AMS or CDG. Not sure whether those common sense adjustments are only from CDG and AMS or also on routes not served by AF/KL.

As to small variations with Great CIrcle Mapper distances for mileage calculations, it is indeed the case that the FFP calculations are sometimes a little at variance to these but that is neither new nor specific to FB. FB will use whatever distance the airline concerned (the operating carrier IIRC) considers is the distance for the flight in question.
Goldorak and Romanianflyer like this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Not sure whether those common sense adjustments are only from CDG and AMS or also on routes not served by AF/KL.
Unfortunately not!
Attached Images  
Old Oct 8, 19, 2:51 am

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
One more example to add , because of the dispute between russia and ukraine . Airlines from each country avoid the airspace of the other one . But other airlines from third party countries are not concerned

Nice situations where a flight from moscow to moldova has to fly over belarus poland slovakia hungary romania , adding 1h extra to a 90 mins flight

i never paid attention to this fact but iam curious if miles earnings might be impacted . PS used to be a FB partner but SU is a ST member
Old Oct 8, 19, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fifty_two View Post
i never paid attention to this fact but iam curious if miles earnings might be impacted .
AFAIK, No. Distances are, I believe, calculated on the basis of the great circle distance between the origin and destination of the flight segment, regardless of the actual route flown. So, even if your airline does a huge detour that doubles the distance flown, it will not normally increase mile earning.
There are, however, small variations as to how different airlines calculate that great circle distance, presumably because they use slightly different reference points.
fifty_two likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
i never paid attention to this fact but iam curious if miles earnings might be impacted . PS used to be a FB partner but SU is a ST member
Miles are earned on the basis of the shortest path between airports. The actual route flown - even in "extreme" cases like that mentioned - is never a factor for mileage earning. No aircraft ever sticks rigidly to the shortest path - for various factors (political, overflying rights, ATC, weather) they may be required to "detour" significantly.
Attached Images  
fifty_two likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 6:57 am

thanks NickB and irishguy28 for your answers
Old Oct 8, 19, 10:21 am
siw

That also applies if you make a scheduled stop on route: e.g. GA87 LHR-KNO-DPS. If you are flying on a LHR-DPS ticket then the Flying Blue Miles earned are based on what Flying Blue uses for the shortest distance between LHR and DPS, not the slightly longer distance of LHR to KNO plus KNO to DPS.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:23 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Yes, as another poster indicated it is shorter so only 10 XP. But then if you do say AMS-BKK via MOW, you earn in total 15 XP due to the AMS-MOW leg, which is more than the 12 XP direct flight. So often building in a stop with change of aircraft is a good strategy to enhance XP - e.g. fly AMS-KUL on KL, 12 XP, and use a ticket that connects to a Garuda flight that gives you another 5 XP, slightly later as the same number KL KUL-JKT flight (the KL flight AMS-KUL-JKT also just gives 12 XP since one flight number).
fifty_two likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:50 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by atflyer View Post
So often building in a stop with change of aircraft is a good strategy to enhance XP
true , on a long journey , adding international medium segments is better . Also dont forget that you can earn xps with flying blue partners which are non skyteam members (pay close attention to the rules)
Old Oct 10, 19, 4:01 am

Programs: FB Gold, HH Silver
true , on a long journey , adding international medium segments is better . Also dont forget that you can earn xps with flying blue partners which are non skyteam members (pay close attention to the rules)
Yes, I had only just realised this recently. Although, I believe some airlines have only just recently changed? I remember not being able to accumulate XP on WestJet a year ago, for example.

Search this Thread