FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Need 90 XP before end of year (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1987630-need-90-xp-before-end-year.html)

n00d1e5 Sep 17, 2019 7:07 am

Need 90 XP before end of year

Hi guys,

I am totally new here and totally new for "playing" the membership. Currently my goal is trying to have a lifetime platinum membership.

To upgrade from gold to platinum, I still need 90 XP, but I have no idea how I can get that.

I saw someone can easily get 90XP by taking a round-trip business class in europe with 500 euro +/-.

My base is LUX, I can not find any low fare ticket, can someone help me please?

Available departure: LUX / CDG / BRU / FRA
Available travail time: Weekend (from Friday evening to Sunday evening)

Thanks in advance.

---

PS. I already have the AMXE card and its 30 XP.

irishguy28 Sep 17, 2019 7:13 am

Originally Posted by n00d1e5 (Post 31533895)
Hi guys,

I am totally new here and totally new for "playing" the membership. Currently my goal is trying to have a lifetime platinum membership.

To upgrade from gold to platinum, I still need 90 XP, but I have no idea how I can get that.

Please, put all thought of this out of your head.

If you can't even make year 1 of platinum, then how are you going to manage to put 10 uninterrupted years of Platinum together?

And there is no guarantee that, in 10 years' time, they will still have a lifetime platinum level, or that Flying Blue will still exist.

Rather than scurry for a status level that adds little above Gold, and rather than blindly stumbling into a very difficult 10-year commitment, how about doing the logical thing:

Don't chase status for status' sake alone. Shop around and use the freedom to pick each ticket you NEED to buy on the best available option, regardless of airline or alliance.

From your statements, you have done 180XP of actual flying this year, which alone is good enough for Gold.

Just settle for Gold going forward. Bear in mind that , at the end of the year, any balance over 180XP will be added to your starting balance for next year, making next year's Gold requalification easier. Running for another 90XP is not an inconsiderable amount. There may be some justification for pushing for Platinum if your "natural" flying pattern had brought you closer. But I don't think it makes any sense in your case.

747jetter Sep 17, 2019 7:20 am

5 years ago I was like you, I want Platinum for life, now I don't know what to do with my miles and what the platinum really is good for. Luckily I have no problem to collect XP...

n00d1e5 Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 31533911)
Please, put all thought of this out of your head.

If you can't even make year 1 of platinum, then how are you going to manage to put 10 uninterrupted years of Platinum together?

And there is no guarantee that, in 10 years' time, they will still have a lifetime platinum level, or that Flying Blue will still exist.

Rather than scurry for a status level that adds little above Gold, and rather than blindly stumbling into a very difficult 10-year commitment, how about doing the logical thing:

Don't chase status for status' sake alone. Shop around and use the freedom to pick each ticket you NEED to buy on the best available option, regardless of airline or alliance.

Thanks for your reply.

Recently I just noticed some tricks.
Like I said, 500e for 90xp for some specific travail.
If I find these early this year, for sure that I can easily earn 300xp.

But my case is that I took only eco class before I know these ”skills”. With all my travel plan, I do not have time for it. That is why I come here, trying to find some pro give me some suggestions.

Just do the math, with 210xp, how many eco class flight I had taken...

n00d1e5 Sep 17, 2019 7:28 am

Everyone has different thought, I understand that.

What I want and what I need is:
- any PRO can tell me have to find the low fare (even one day round trip)
- any PRO can give me suggestion for those time and departure

E.g.:
ONE WAY: DUF - AMS - FRA - MAD, business class, about 200e for 30xp. (REALLY EXSITE, if someone needs, I can show you this)

Fabo.sk Sep 17, 2019 7:42 am

Don't be so down on him, maybe he has couple of years of organic platinum already, but now has a slow year for whatever reason, change of job, local project...

Anyway cheap way to do 60 is BRU-VLC with Alitalia, especially if you catch a 20% coupon (probably not this year though I think). You can combine that with LUX-MXP with AZ direct for 30XP r/t at 213 EUR.

2 stop J tickets for around 500 EUR do exist, or at least used to, but I don't know if they do from those airports mentioned. Usually you need to find an airport where KLM flies, but not AF, like Aalborg or many small ones in the UK.

flyingjapans Sep 17, 2019 8:01 am

I second that. I've always actually thought that the few times lifetime status is really useful doesn't make up for the risk that the LTPE program is revoked or that Flying Blue files for bankruptcy. Rewards generally have higher value when immediate.

Otherwise, cheap european J is the way to go for massive XP earnings. There are routings like DUS-CDG-TLV return for around 400 to 500 euros that will grant you 78XP (the CDG-TLV is a bit above 2000 miles and thus falls into the Long Haul 1 category). And the destination leaves you the opportunity to have a sunny week-end.

irishguy28 Sep 17, 2019 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 31534026)
Don't be so down on him, maybe he has couple of years of organic platinum already, but now has a slow year for whatever reason, change of job, local project...

The OP clearly states that he is currently Gold. ("to upgrade from Gold to Platinum").

In case there is any doubt, lifetime platinum requires 10 consecutive and uninterrupted years of Platinum. If you had 7 years in a row at Platinum in the past, and drop down to Gold, you can't just claim another 3 years of Platinum somewhere down the line and get lifetime. Each time you drop down from Platinum, your "lifetime counter" goes back to zero.

In the OP's case, I think that even 90XP is a lot to earn just for the sake of Platinum.

What the OP is contemplating, however, is not just "running" to get another 90XP this year, but "running" (on top of a seemingly organic Gold-level pattern) to amass a total of 2790 XP in the coming decade, all for the promise that something *may* happen in 2030. That is a considerable, and expensive, "commitment" to make, when nobody's reasonable event horizon extends 10 years into the future.

Wil973 Sep 17, 2019 8:49 am

Hi wow ... the answers are really hard..

But i think Alitalia is the best way ....
And i also think being plat is better than gold ..
Even if you dont really have more benefits...

I m plat since 2 years and this year will be number 3 ..
I dont know if plat for life will exist in 7 or 10 years i just hope so ....

I think 90 xp can be easy for 500 euros and 10 extra with the accor deal ...

I only fly y ... i m not rich and even if is hard sometimes i always reach plat...

So go for it... and if you see plat is too hard then you dont need to travel much next year because you will return gold after ....

Nice day everyone

irishguy28 Sep 17, 2019 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Wil973 (Post 31534257)
I only fly y ... i m not rich and even if is hard sometimes i always reach plat...

So go for it... and if you see plat is too hard then you dont need to travel much next year because you will return gold after ....

IMO, it is already clearly "too hard" for the OP to reach Plat.

In your case, you manage it "naturally" - and in Y! That is an awful lot of flying.

The OP has never managed to reach Platinum "naturally", even with the extra 30XP from the Amex card. 90XP is still a long shortfall.

The OP is also pursuing this strategy not for the purpose of a softlanding, but instead with the intention of running for each of the next 10 years.

Wil973 Sep 17, 2019 9:15 am

(((In your case, you manage it "naturally" - and in Y! That is an awful lot of flying.))))

I guess so... since i also did almost 20 flights with other airlines ..Singapour airlines Philippines airlines letc etc last year which dont count....

But i also think at least if he doesnt reach his goal a soft landing will be fine

johan rebel Sep 17, 2019 10:11 am

And there is no guarantee that, in 10 years' time, they will still have a lifetime platinum level.

And even if it does still exist, there's no guarantee that the benefits that come with that status will be offered for the remainder of the OP's life, or that he will be able to enjoy these benefits.

For all we know the Gretas of this world will by then have succeeded in having air travel declared a crime for all not in possession of a UN permit.

Johan

Fabo.sk Sep 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 31534110)
The OP clearly states that he is currently Gold. ("to upgrade from Gold to Platinum").

In case there is any doubt, lifetime platinum requires 10 consecutive and uninterrupted years of Platinum. If you had 7 years in a row at Platinum in the past, and drop down to Gold, you can't just claim another 3 years of Platinum somewhere down the line and get lifetime. Each time you drop down from Platinum, your "lifetime counter" goes back to zero.

In the OP's case, I think that even 90XP is a lot to earn just for the sake of Platinum.

What the OP is contemplating, however, is not just "running" to get another 90XP this year, but "running" (on top of a seemingly organic Gold-level pattern) to amass a total of 2790 XP in the coming decade, all for the promise that something *may* happen in 2030. That is a considerable, and expensive, "commitment" to make, when nobody's reasonable event horizon extends 10 years into the future.

Oh, I have missed that.

In that case I fully agree. Getting 20XP to make platinum, that could make sense. Maybe even extra 60XP if one is well positioned.
But 90 extra XP, for an outlook of doing the same for 10 coming years?

Not worth it.

tbaiyun Sep 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 31534110)

That is the best point before OP really turns into Platinum. It's been my 4th year of Plat and having 1000+XP in my account right now, every day, I mean, every moment, I was praying that AF/KL will not come into bankruptcy, either will they change the PFL policy. We will never know if that happens.

Originally Posted by 747jetter (Post 31533935)
5 years ago I was like you, I want Platinum for life, now I don't know what to do with my miles and what the platinum really is good for. Luckily I have no problem to collect XP...

I can feel the same pain even I am not PFL. Having tons of miles in my account, but nowhere to go is painful. Fortunately, they allow redemption for WS intra-Canada this year!

Originally Posted by n00d1e5 (Post 31533967)
Everyone has different thought, I understand that.

What I want and what I need is:
- any PRO can tell me have to find the low fare (even one day round trip)
- any PRO can give me suggestion for those time and departure

E.g.:
ONE WAY: DUF - AMS - FRA - MAD, business class, about 200e for 30xp. (REALLY EXSIT, if someone needs, I can show you this)

You can use a cheap economy flight (this is what I usually find when I stayed in ETZ several years ago) out of LUX and then use the cheap originating points to travel in J and collect the right amount of XP. But with this kind of fares, you will NOT be able to do same day mileage runs.

I think there were fares out of Poland/Hungary to Asia where you can get a nice flat-bed for around 1k EUR that yields 100+ XP. Another option is SV out of Italy, I heard about that they always have low fares on MXP-JED-KUL kind of routes that yield 120 XP.

There are some routes out of Canada that may be higher yields with AM/DL/CM, but the relocation is expensive and it takes longer runs.

OP, please really reconsider if PFL works for you. If you cannot keep a lot extra XP every year, you will find it one day useless to keep Plat.

n00d1e5 Sep 17, 2019 7:30 pm

Really thinks for all reply and comments.
Some of you are so sweet :) and others kindly pointed out the problem.

Please let me explain a little more about my case.

1. Recent year, for sure I have abroad mission plan (eco mid + long 3). Clearly, it is not paid by myself. This helps me for the XP. Detailed will be negotiated later with my company.

2. I have my own travailing plan, and for sure, in the rest of my life, I will travail.

Plan 1:
Just buy low-fare ticket (Rynair, easyjet...), whatever which company. But pay for the luggage, etc.
(Maybe) cheapest option. Miles is meaningless.

Plan 2:
Keep flying with Skyteam, and lost the status one day.
I need to pay for the 2nd luggage, even 1st in Europe.
(Miles used to purchase ticket for my families).

Plan 3:
Get PFL, and fly whatever I want. Always benefits the advantage (and some hidden benefits).
In this case, I do not need spend a large mount of money.

For the plan, with all the "skills", it is fine with up to 2000 euro.
I mean it is an investment for the rest of life, maybe one year things come that I can now fly for some reason.

I totally get your guys' points: Do not waste time and money.
I agreed before I knew those tricks.

I now have been to almost famous Europe countries.
If I can (1) keep my travail habit for fun (2) reduce the trip times (3) spend less and gain more, why not?