China Southern Business Class AMS - PEK - ok or avoid?

Old Sep 16, 19, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold
China Southern Business Class AMS - PEK - ok or avoid?

I only just realized two of my upcoming flights AMS PEK and return are KLM code-shares with China Southern (in J).

What is your experience of their A380 business class? OK or avoid? I'm not too fuzzed about food options (KLM isn't that brilliant either IMHO) but want to get a decent amount of sleep.

I'm currently booked on seat 20K, which seems to be a single window seat.
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
CZ J from Europe is a good product. And usually quite cheap if you book direct with CZ.
Your window seat is best. Plenty of personal space, spacious.
https://onemileatatime.com/china-sou...s-a380-review/
Food and wines is good.
Chris0815 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:34 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
I haven't been on the A380 but CZ is one of my favorite airlines, excellent service, a proper pillow and quilt (not a blanket). I hope you find them equally as pleasing as I do.

Chris0815 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:43 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton
The service is not always polished but in my opinion very acceptable. Have only experienced the A330 seats but they are very comfortable and as said already the bedding is great. Now if only they would stop smoking in the cockpit ...
Chris0815 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Very helpful. Looking forward to the flight now.

By the way I heard China is working on regulating smoking in the cockpit. Let’s see how successful they are.
Old Sep 17, 19, 5:54 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Never was on a CZ A380 but once bought an upgrade intercontinental with them and that was like other posters indicate really fine.
Chris0815 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
CZ is definitely one of the best mainland China carrier IMHO. And CAN is a nice airport/hub.
Chris0815 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 8:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold
I have flown in CZ J in A380 once and definitely liked their hard product (mattress was comfy). Flight attendants won't care if you set the seat into bed mode while on tarmac, zzz'ing for hours for takeoff. Given how A380 is quiet while taxing on upper deck, what happened was that I fell asleep and only woke up around when the plane was rotating ... it's a very strange feeling to be in the seat in bed mode while taking off
Chris0815 and lynxy like this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:15 am

Programs: FB Gold
Just to add to the others, I've done CZ business on the 330 several times, it was fine, comfortable flat bed, one Dutch crew member who was mostly in the C cabin, the rest of the crew were eager to please, food was perfectly fine, service is sometimes more in the Chinese style. The 380 is going to be more comfortable, probably same seats as on the 777 which are better than on the 330.
Chris0815 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJCNL View Post
Just to add to the others, I've done CZ business on the 330 several times, it was fine, comfortable flat bed, one Dutch crew member who was mostly in the C cabin, the rest of the crew were eager to please, food was perfectly fine, service is sometimes more in the Chinese style. The 380 is going to be more comfortable, probably same seats as on the 777 which are better than on the 330.
Thanks for everybody’s help!

Ill be on the flight tomorrow so will report back on my experience.
Old Sep 19, 19, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

So, as promised here’s my feedback. Maybe useful for somebody else.

Overall, quite positive.

It started a bit hectic as I wanted to get some work done in Schiphol during the stopover. Unfortunately due to some air traffic control issue in Belgium yesterday were sitting on the tarmac in Switzerland for nearly an hour before leaving. That, plus the mandatory City Hopper bus ride in AMS, followed by a really annoyingly slow passport control (only 2 controls open, no EU line, and all the automatic gates simply closed) and the CZ boarding super early only left time for a quick cappuccino in the KLM lounge.

First impression on board quite positive. I like that they only have a 1-2-1 setup on the other deck and don’t cram more into the space. Seats are comfortable and there’s plenty of storage space including a huge closed space just below the window.

The window seats are alternating, I had one closer to the window. Great for privacy, not so great for getting out as the access to the seat was quite narrow.

A downside for me was that the ottoman has a built in foot rest, which would have been the perfect size for the typical Chinese size, for European legs it was a bit tight.

Service was very friendly but a bit hit and miss. I saw the wine list only for 30 secs before they took it away again never to be seen any more.

My first glass of champagne (vintage Taittinger if I remember correctly from the 30 secs). The next glass of Macon I had ordered came at room temperature. So I sent it back ordering another champagne. That one also came at room temperature. When I told her it was too warm she quickly found a solution, she came back with some ice. I gave up arguing and the ice cube did the job.

Food was surprisingly good and plenty, several starters including soup, salad and even some foie gras.

The only issue was the main course. I wanted the only Chinese dish on the menu but that wasn’t available. So I went for the steak thinking this is usually the safe choice. Well, I was proven wrong. The steak was totally overcooked and I could barely cut it with the knifes they provided.

After dinner I tried to catch some sleep. The seats are full lie flat, come with two pillows, a duvet type blanket (comfy but a bit warm) and even some form of mattress. The seats have nicely enough sufficient space for the legs. The only downside is that there is some space between the seat and the ottoman even when the seat is fully flat. But overall I got some hours of decent sleep which isn’t easy given that this was my afternoon time.

When i woke up I tried the IFE. Nice large touch screen, but I wasn’t impressed by the movie selection. But maybe I’m just flying too much and have already seen those few remaining movies without Marvel superheroes.

Breakfsst was quite nice, including continental, eggs, and Chinese options.

The only final complaint I have, but this is not CZ‘s fault, that the business class baggage game out nearly last.

In summary not a bad experience, significantly better let’s say than AF‘s non-flat seats from hell on their A380.

And also happy to report I didn’t smell smoke...
Old Sep 19, 19, 9:07 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™

Thanks for your report Chris0815, given a choice would you fly CZ again?

Old Sep 20, 19, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andy49 View Post

Thanks for your report Chris0815, given a choice would you fly CZ again?

It wouldn’t be top of my list, but if timing fits I’d be open to it in the future.

Actually i already will be on a CZ flight again in November.
Old Sep 22, 19, 5:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
CZ is definitely one of the best mainland China carrier IMHO. And CAN is a nice airport/hub.
I find CAN a little dull and prefer PVG, but each to them own .
Old Sep 22, 19, 6:49 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1M, WN AList+
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
It has been - and continues to be the best mainland carrier IMHO...
Chris0815 likes this.

Search this Thread