Flying Blue Newbie Question

Old Sep 15, 19, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF
Flying Blue Newbie Question

I've been a member of Flying Blue for several years now, but I've only flown two return flights with KLM: ABZ-AMS return and EDI-AMS return as I actually live in Australia.

I've booked return flights from BNE to ABZ in J for next year. The first leg from BNE is on QF to HKG on a QF flight number. HKG-CDG-ABZ are on AF metal on AF flight numbers. The return flights are ABZ-CDG-SIN on AF flight numbers and SIN-BNE on SQ. All flights are in J.

I've read FAQ 1. FAQ 1 Ė Programme overview

It doesn't mention SQ as being a partner airline at all.

What I'd like to ask is:

Will the QF and SQ flights credit at the same rates as the AF flights?
My understanding is that miles are credited based on amount spent. When do they credit, given that I bought a return ticket?
I think that by the time I've flown my return flights, I'll have reached Silver level. But I have no idea when I'm likely to travel with AF/KLM after these flights, so I don't really know that reaching Silver will be of any benefit to me. Is it possible to credit the QF flight to QFF and the SQ flight to VA (SQ ticketed flights can be). To be honest, I don't know if this last question belongs here or in the QF / SQ / VA forum.
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
You said that the QF- and SQ-operated flight are on QF and SQ flight numbers, so those flights will not credit to FB. But you may credit them to QF & SQ programs respectively (or other programs from OW / *A). If those flights had been on AF flight numbers, you could have credited them to FB.
Old Sep 16, 19, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
You said that the QF- and SQ-operated flight are on QF and SQ flight numbers, so those flights will not credit to FB. But you may credit them to QF & SQ programs respectively (or other programs from OW / *A). If those flights had been on AF flight numbers, you could have credited them to FB.
Thanks. It's odd that they won't do that, considering AF sold me the ticket. I entered BNE-ABZ as the trip and that's what their system put up. I didn't specifically go looking for them, and neither AF or KLM fly their aircraft to Australia, so there was always going to be a segment on another airline.
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:06 am

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Originally Posted by weegraeme View Post
neither AF or KLM fly their aircraft to Australia, so there was always going to be a segment on another airline.
true but there is also another skyteam airline flying there (china eastern) and some flying blue partners too ... so next time you should check if its worth the price to stop in Canton/Guangzhou rather than jongkong
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:16 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Thanks. It's odd that they won't do that, considering AF sold me the ticket. I entered BNE-ABZ as the trip and that's what their system put up. I didn't specifically go looking for them, and neither AF or KLM fly their aircraft to Australia, so there was always going to be a segment on another airline.
Originally Posted by fifty_two View Post
true but there is also another skyteam airline flying there (china eastern) and some flying blue partners too ... so next time you should check if its worth the price to stop in Canton/Guangzhou rather than jongkong
Still they could have AF or KL numbers on QF and SQ flights as well.
A colleague flew to SYD couple of weeks ago, on EY, and that was all KL numbers.
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Both AF and KL codeshare on a number of airlines to and from Australia, and there are multiple options available including the Skyteam airlines that serve Australia (China Eastern, Vietnam Airlines,

That they haven't arranged codeshares for all such flights is not that unusual.

If you want to earn XPs and miles in Flying Blue on all sectors, it is not difficult to find all-Skyteam itineraries.

It can, however, be very useful to FFPs who collect miles in more than one alliance to purchase these multi-carrier tickets and accrue mileage in their chosen oneworld or Star Alliance accounts, too.

But are you sure that your Qantas flights are not booked under AF codes? Air France *does* codeshare on QF flights, including at least these two from BNE (to HKG and SIN).

Perhaps you bought your ticket from a third party rather than from AF?
Attached Images  
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
Still they could have AF or KL numbers on QF and SQ flights as well.
A colleague flew to SYD couple of weeks ago, on EY, and that was all KL numbers.
Yes, KL and AF have codeshared on EY (the former more than the latter) for many years.

AF codeshares with QF too as shown in my previous post.

I do not believe there are any AF or KL codeshares on SQ (or NZ) flights.
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Yes, KL and AF have codeshared on EY (the former more than the latter) for many years.

AF codeshares with QF too as shown in my previous post.

Thanks. You were right about my Hong Kong flight being a codeshare. Iím not sure how I missed that.

I donít think FB is going to be that useful to me really. I only joined because at the time, they offered a significant discount on a checked bag. I really have limited options for earning miles and other than these flights, almost no likelihood of earning XP. But on the plus side, the flights will get me to Aberdeen without having to go through Heathrow, and thatís got to be good.
Old Sep 16, 19, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
AF is code-sharing with SQ on some SIN-Oz routes.

@OP : please double check if your QF and SQ-operated flights are booked on AF or QF/SQ flight numbers, because this is a key information to answer your questions.
Old Sep 16, 19, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found this from ~2 years ago - they initially started codesharing only on SIN-SYD and SIN-MEL: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...from-may-2017/

Not sure if they added any further codeshares on SQ - to BNE, for example.

Perhaps the OP can check again and report back?
Goldorak likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

@OP : please double check if your QF and SQ-operated flights are booked on AF or QF/SQ flight numbers, because this is a key information to answer your questions.
The QF flight is booked as AF9680, but the SQ flight is booked under as SQ235
Old Sep 16, 19, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

OK. So AF9680 will credit to FB, but not SQ325. You can credit the SQ flight to any *A program you may be a member of (providing it is booked in an eligible fare class for the program you will credit to).
Old Sep 16, 19, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ235 is not a flight on which AF codeshares. It seems that AF only codeshare on a single SIN-SYD and SIN-MEL SQ flight.

According to the BNE website, only Lufthansa, Virgin Australia and Virgin Atlantic codeshare on this particular SQ flight.

Old Sep 16, 19, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

OK. So AF9680 will credit to FB, but not SQ325. You can credit the SQ flight to any *A program you may be a member of (providing it is booked in an eligible fare class for the program you will credit to).
Thanks.

I was afraid you were going to say that. Iím not a member of any *A program. I had been hoping I could credit my QF flight to QFF. But seeing as itís booked as a codeshare, I know I canít.

Oh well. As I mentioned before, at least Iíll avoid going through Heathrow. Thatís worth something in my book.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Search this Thread