Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9 000 Miles for a broken IFE on a 10 hours flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Seems a bit low to me but in line with the lower compensations in miles they tend to give since last FB changes. Some of you may remember that, last year, I reported here that they proposed me initially 10K for one week without suitcase after a long-haul flight in paid J. And I am Club2000 Ultimate. Go figure
That's definitely a joke...
Such as FB Amex promotions emails offering me extra 10 000 miles (as an exceptional offer) while I am close to a 1M. miles...
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:41 am

I'd find that acceptable.

I recently got €300 in discount vouchers (€100 per passenger on my booking) because my flights to and from Japan didn't have any sake, which was way above what I was expecting for that complaint. (this was in economy)
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by MartinB105
I'd find that acceptable.

I recently got €300 in discount vouchers (€100 per passenger on my booking) because my flights to and from Japan didn't have any sake, which was way above what I was expecting for that complaint. (this was in economy)
You are being sarcastic ?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by BobTL
You are being sarcastic ?
No? I didn't really expect anything at all, and figured I might get a couple thousand Flying Blue miles at best. €300 seems like massive overkill just because my choice of drink was unavailable.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:28 am

No? I didn't really expect anything at all, and figured I might get a couple thousand Flying Blue miles at best. €300 seems like massive overkill just because my choice of drink was unavailable.
It wouldn’t cross my mind to complain about that, would it reasonable to expect ouzo on flights to Greece or limoncello on flights to Italy in Y?
Maybe it’s to be expected on a Japanese airline but otherwise I think it’s kind of far sought to complain about that.
Good for you that you received the 300 euros though.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by BobTL
It wouldn’t cross my mind to complain about that, would it reasonable to expect ouzo on flights to Greece or limoncello on flights to Italy in Y?
Maybe it’s to be expected on a Japanese airline but otherwise I think it’s kind of far sought to complain about that.
Good for you that you received the 300 euros though.
It's reasonable to expect sake on KLM flights to and from Japan if KLM explicitly advertises the availability of sake on their flights to and from Japan. Which they do. Which is why I asked for sake on my flights to and from Japan, and why I complained when sake was unavailable on both flights.

Sorry I can't post a link to the relevant page on KLM's website (new member restriction), but I've quoted the relevant text here from the "Products and services to and from Asia" page of the KLM website:
Japan

Get inspired during your trip on our flights from Amsterdam to Tokyo, Osaka or vice versa.

[...]

On board:

[...]
  • We serve Japanese noodles and snacks between meals and Japanese drinks like Oolong and Japanese tea and sake.

Last edited by MartinB105; Sep 19, 2019 at 10:14 am
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:33 am

But is a great compensation and i think the fact that there wasnt on both flights it the reason for....
I would have never thought about that ... but if you saw it on the website why not
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
That's truly incredible, even shocking (not blaming you of course here). Can we ask you in which class you were traveling and if you are a kind of VIP for KLM ?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
That's truly incredible, even shocking (not blaming you of course here). Can we ask you in which class you were traveling and if you are a kind of VIP for KLM ?
Economy class, and not any kind of VIP. The only "status" I have with KLM is Flying Blue Petroleum, which is worth next to nothing, and I only just barely qualify for that. I usually only make 2 round trip flights with KLM per year, and most of those are short (one hour) flights.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Perhaps KLM has adopted a similar policy to compensation as it does with upgrades? I.e. lower tier members receive bigger amounts in miles or vouchers to keep them happy, whereas platinums get less because they are deemed to be loyal enough anyway?
Wil973 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Perhaps KLM has adopted a similar policy to compensation as it does with upgrades? I.e. lower tier members receive bigger amounts in miles or vouchers to keep them happy, whereas platinums get less because they are deemed to be loyal enough anyway?
TBH, this has crossed my mind...
overall, with the different data points we had in this thread and others, I think they have really lost their mind for the scales of the various compensations. We see very low (to not say insulting) compensations for real major inconveniences (broken seat, delayed suitcase, etc) and very high compensations for very minor things (like the sake story). And some fair ones sometimes. In summary, Russian roulette...
Wil973 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: FB Plat
To add some data point, I was recently travelling from SYD to CDG via SIN (in Y as FB Plat), 1st leg operated by QF on AF-codeshare and 2nd leg operated by AF on the same day.

I was denied entry to the Skyteam lounge at SYD based on the fact that QF was not part of Skyteam, which I was not expecting as I was on an AF-coded flight and in same-day connection with an AF-operated flight… but as the lounge dragon said, "different part of the world, different rules" (sic, what is the point of a global alliance then?).

I complained to AF and received 7,000 miles as compensation. After further search, I still do not know whether I was really eligible to the Skyteam lounge, and even have the feeling that I would have been granted entry at the QF lounge…
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Porcepic
To add some data point, I was recently travelling from SYD to CDG via SIN (in Y as FB Plat), 1st leg operated by QF on AF-codeshare and 2nd leg operated by AF on the same day.

I was denied entry to the Skyteam lounge at SYD based on the fact that QF was not part of Skyteam, which I was not expecting as I was on an AF-coded flight and in same-day connection with an AF-operated flight… but as the lounge dragon said, "different part of the world, different rules" (sic, what is the point of a global alliance then?).

I complained to AF and received 7,000 miles as compensation. After further search, I still do not know whether I was really eligible to the Skyteam lounge, and even have the feeling that I would have been granted entry at the QF lounge…
Of course you would have entry to the Skyteam lounge.

And that's where you should have gone, rather than to the Qantas lounge.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Of course you would have entry to the Skyteam lounge.

And that's where you should have gone, rather than to the Qantas lounge.
He went to the Skyteam lounge.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'd have pressed the agent for admission based on Skyteam lounge access rules - unless the onward AF flight from Asia was not immediately after the Qantas flight, i.e. there was a stopover in Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.