FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   8 XP short of Platinum - what's the cheapest way of getting there (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1985990-8-xp-short-platinum-whats-cheapest-way-getting-there.html)

Mozart0815 Sep 5, 2019 12:49 am

8 XP short of Platinum - what's the cheapest way of getting there

After my next KLM trip later this year I'll be at 292 XP, with no further Flying Blue business trips planned for the remainder. of 2019

Given the apparently limited benefits of platinum vs. gold I really don't want to spend a lot out of pocket.

Based in Switzerland, I could probably just plan a short weekend in Paris and be done with it, but I was just wondering if there are other smart or cheaper ways of getting the missing 8 XP.

irishguy28 Sep 5, 2019 1:01 am

Please see this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...st-routes.html

we don't really need several parallel discussions of ways to get mileage runs - though in your case, you only need a simple return ticket within Europe. Just fly from your home airport to AMS/CDG back on the date where you find the cheapest ticket.

vinnyc Sep 5, 2019 1:13 am

Accor Miles+Points

Originally Posted by Chris0815 (Post 31492222)
After my next KLM trip later this year I'll be at 292 XP, with no further Flying Blue business trips planned for the remainder. of 2019

Given the apparently limited benefits of platinum vs. gold I really don't want to spend a lot out of pocket.

Based in Switzerland, I could probably just plan a short weekend in Paris and be done with it, but I was just wondering if there are other smart or cheaper ways of getting the missing 8 XP.

Assuming you haven't enrolled in the program and linked your Le Groupe Accor and Flying Blue accounts, you can potentially earn 10XP:
  • 5XP by staying in a cheap hotel of the group (Ibis for example); and
  • another 5XP after completing your flight on KLM (providing that it is both marketed and operated by KLM (and/or AF).
Good luck!
vinnyc

Mozart0815 Sep 5, 2019 1:44 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 31492249)
Please see this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...st-routes.html

we don't really need several parallel discussions of ways to get mileage runs - though in your case, you only need a simple return ticket within Europe. Just fly from your home airport to AMS/CDG back on the date where you find the cheapest ticket.

Just to clarify I'm aware of the mileage run thread, but was more trying to find alternative non-flight alternatives like the Accor one mentioned by the answer just below.

Ehrmantraut Sep 5, 2019 2:15 am

getting an FB amex card

Xandrios Sep 5, 2019 5:12 am

..or deciding to stay Gold. That will allow you to carry over a lot of XPs to next year. That may help you remain Elite+ for a longer period of time if you expect to be flying less next year or the year thereafter.

Gajan Sep 5, 2019 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 31492685)
..or deciding to stay Gold. That will allow you to carry over a lot of XPs to next year. That may help you remain Elite+ for a longer period of time if you expect to be flying less next year or the year thereafter.

Though with platinum he will benefit from a soft landing to gold in any case. If not too difficult, I would try for the 8 XP

Goldorak Sep 5, 2019 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Gajan (Post 31492759)
Though with platinum he will benefit from a soft landing to gold in any case. If not too difficult, I would try for the 8 XP

agreed. I would definitely do that too.

Concerto Sep 5, 2019 2:52 pm

Check out Alitalia, they have some amazing fares. Last year, I paid EUR60 for ZRH-FCO-MAD and they were good flights!

Xandrios Sep 6, 2019 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Gajan (Post 31492759)

It very much depends on the expected number of flights over the next 2-3 years. By going for plat, next year the OP will have Gold, guaranteed due to soft landing. The year thereafter the full 180XP will be needed to remain Gold.

By not going for plat the OP will carry over 112XP. Its very likely that he will surpass the 180XP and carry over some number of XP's to the year thereafter - making it easier to remain Gold for a longer period of time.

Concerto Sep 6, 2019 1:44 am

Of course, the big carrot is Platinum for life if you can keep it going over 10 years. I don’t think there’s a Gold for life option with Flying Blue.

Mozart0815 Sep 6, 2019 2:23 am

Thanks all for your help!

Looks though like I won't need it any more, one more Asia J trip with AMS stopover on KLM just was added to my agenda, so I'll be easily getting to Platinum even earlier than expected.